Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the ongoing string of people coming forth with their sexual assault at the hands of celebrities, now George Takei has been accused of sexual assault against a man who was passed out.

Quote:
"I’m pouring my heart out on my sleeve to him” talking about the breakup, Brunton said. “He is very sympathetic. And then he asked if I would like another drink and I said, ‘Sure.’”

But by the second cocktail, Brunton said he felt like he was going to pass out.

“I was shaky,” he told BuzzFeed News in an interview. “I said, ‘I have to lie down.’ He said, ‘Come over here and sit.’” Brunton recalls sitting down on a yellow beanbag chair.

He doesn’t know how much time passed, but the next thing he remembers is waking up, his pants down around his ankles, and Takei on top of him pushing his hand down his underwear, Brunton said.

“He’s on top of me, trying with his hand down my underwear (to) pull my underwear down,” said Brunton

https://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiarosenbaum/a-man-says-george-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Goddamnit Takei. Not you too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we are all glad to see others taken to task... by other people. It's easy to say we like knowing values are upheld when Kevin Spacey is taken out of his role on House of Cards. But it's not us doing it.

Will we never see another Takei-generated meme? Because this is where every individual gets to show for themselves just how much they value the society we are crafting, one based on shame and blackmail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Will we never see another Takei-generated meme? Because this is where every individual gets to show for themselves just how much they value the society we are crafting, one based on shame and blackmail.
One has to wonder if that is all we have left to influence people to treat each other with respect. Try to tell someone they are being selfish and disrespectful and they resentfully claim they are free to do so and leave them alone. A culture of "whatever I want is right" insinuates itself into everything and people at-risk of preying on others lose their inhibitions to not do so.

Some would say that the end result of the Culture Of Greed is a society that is only controlled by shame, blackmail and punishment. The concept of "Do The Right Thing" has less and less external reinforcement in our society. Even faith and religion is being undermined by the culture of greed and selfishness. Even with their dubious definitions of right and wrong, they at least tried to foster a context of doing the "right" thing.

Humans suck, and we've created a system that taps that suckitude for progress. It is very successful and people are living better lives, but there is a cost. The more spiritual amongst us might say it has cost us our souls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
One has to wonder if that is all we have left to influence people to treat each other with respect. Try to tell someone they are being selfish and disrespectful and they resentfully claim they are free to do so and leave them alone. A culture of "whatever I want is right" insinuates itself into everything and people at-risk of preying on others lose their inhibitions to not do so.

I FULLY agree with you. But when you start saying that there are things which are right and which are wrong, when you try to base it on absolute values instead of whatever seems to move the needle in any given moment, you get told that you are outdated and that society has moved past you.

And it's gotten so bad that even those who supposedly adhere to those absolute beliefs are shifting in order to get what they want in any given moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The modern shift in politics is the loss of the veneer. The shared values you believe in Junior were really generally shared via rote and conditioning, as the conditioning has faded and centralized power has shifted the 'shared values' dissolve back into individualistic valuation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
The modern shift in politics is the loss of the veneer. The shared values you believe in Junior were really generally shared via rote and conditioning, as the conditioning has faded and centralized power has shifted the 'shared values' dissolve back into individualistic valuation.

And that is for both better and worse. That individual valuation leads to people who hurt other people because it feels good in the moment. But the issue with the centralized power comes when those in power are those at the top of something like Westboro and people blindly accept that kind of authority to be their moral compass.

I have said for a while, and this discussion gives me cause to say it again, that for a long time people have just been engaged in cultural faith without spiritual faith. And people would just casually go along with whatever people said was good for them if it was said from a pulpit. And that has led us here, where in the name of faith people will endorse what is antithetical to that same faith. My hope is that this next decade or so will pare away those who are Cultural Christians so that those who do use this faith to better themselves and those around them can start being what society thinks of when they think of Christians. Because what we have now... this sucks hardcore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested to see if corroboration that he told the story emerges. One of the things that makes the accusations against Moore credible is the fact that many of the women's friends have confirmed hearing about the incidents from them directly at the time. The BuzzFeed story would carry more weight if they had gotten that supporting material for publication rather than simply quoting the source saying that he'd told people about it.

If it' true, then it deserves the same opprobrium as other accusations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He has categorically denied it:

Quote:

Friends,
I'm writing to respond to the accusations made by Scott R. Brunton. I want to assure you all that I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them.

The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now. I have wracked my brain to ask if I remember Mr. Brunton, and I cannot say I do. But I do take these claims very seriously, and I wanted to provide my response thoughtfully and not out of the moment.

Right now it is a he said / he said situation, over alleged events nearly 40 years ago. But those that know me understand that non-consensual acts are so antithetical to my values and my practices, the very idea that someone would accuse me of this is quite personally painful.

Brad, who is 100 percent beside me on this, as my life partner of more than 30 years and now my husband, stands fully by my side. I cannot tell you how vital it has been to have his unwavering support and love in these difficult times.

Thanks to many of you for all the kind words and trust. It means so much to us.

Yours in gratitude,
George
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
He has categorically denied it:

Quote:

Friends,
I'm writing to respond to the accusations made by Scott R. Brunton. I want to assure you all that I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them.

The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now. I have wracked my brain to ask if I remember Mr. Brunton, and I cannot say I do. But I do take these claims very seriously, and I wanted to provide my response thoughtfully and not out of the moment.

Right now it is a he said / he said situation, over alleged events nearly 40 years ago. But those that know me understand that non-consensual acts are so antithetical to my values and my practices, the very idea that someone would accuse me of this is quite personally painful.

Brad, who is 100 percent beside me on this, as my life partner of more than 30 years and now my husband, stands fully by my side. I cannot tell you how vital it has been to have his unwavering support and love in these difficult times.

Thanks to many of you for all the kind words and trust. It means so much to us.

Yours in gratitude,
George

Sure, and so did Weinstein, Spacey, and Moore. While it's not impossible that there might be a false claim out there (Duke lacrosse team comes to mind), history seems to indicate that more often than not, these claims prove to be true. I'm no more inclined to believe Takei than I am any of the others, despite the politics of the various accused parties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Sure, and so did Weinstein, Spacey, and Moore. While it's not impossible that there might be a false claim out there (Duke lacrosse team comes to mind), history seems to indicate that more often than not, these claims prove to be true. I'm no more inclined to believe Takei than I am any of the others, despite the politics of the various accused parties.

I absolutely agree that claims are generally credible. So far the difference is that this is a single accusation. A person who does this sort of thing has certainly done it multiple times and it was a fairly open secret. We'll find out soon if this is the sort of thing Takei did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Sure, and so did Weinstein, Spacey, and Moore.

Not really a fair comparison. Each of these men has been accused by multiple women and the Weinstein and Spacey allegations were apparently whispered about for a very, very long time before the accusations became public. It's distinctly possible that more allegations against Mr. Takei emerge, but for now it's a single incident without any form of contemporaneous corroboration.

I am not saying that he is definitely innocent. But there needs to be more than what we have now. At present, the denial seems more credible than the accusation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a clip making the rounds now. Might be worth watching as someone is strongly pursuing copyright claims against it suddenly.

When asked of he has ever grabbed anyone against their will he says against someone maybe skittish or afraid and you're trying to persuade them. Says he didn't do it against anyone he had any power over though but it was only at his home.
https://youtu.be/OLtw9Tpg9Pg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaren
United States
flag msg tools
Turtle Power
badge
all the way down
mb
LateCold wrote:
There is a clip making the rounds now. Might be worth watching as someone is strongly pursuing copyright claims against it suddenly.

When asked of he has ever grabbed anyone against their will he says against someone maybe skittish or afraid and you're trying to persuade them. Says he didn't do it against anyone he had any power over though but it was only at his home.

It's pretty stunning, Stern is talking about the Trump "grab 'em" line and says to Takei, "you would never do this, right?" and Takei hesitates, repeatedly, and offers justifications for in fact without invitation grabbing men by the genitals to encourage them to have sex with him.

I have no idea whether this latest accusation is in fact real. I have no realistic way to ascertain the actual truth of any of the accusations flying around out there. But I do find it pretty easy to take direct personal admissions of misconduct seriously, and in Takei's case it would appear that we have precisely that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LateCold wrote:
https://youtu.be/OLtw9Tpg9Pg

Ugh. That's concerning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought there was some sort of rumor or scandal about Takei a couple years ago, am I remembering something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:
I thought there was some sort of rumor or scandal about Takei a couple years ago, am I remembering something else?

I felt like I had heard something too a few year ago but don't recall exactly what it was anymore. The clip I posted is still up as of yet but there's been a lot of takedowns either by the Stern camp or Takei camp pulling these from youtube and twitter. Still it's pretty damning when by his own admission he has grabbed people without their consent. He jokes when asked it being more then a gentle squeeze and says more then the gentle, also says it's different then something like Trump where it's about power.

Supposedly Buzzfeed had seen the note where Takei wrote his home address for his accuser which I imagine they might have tried validating before posting this story and comparing it to Takei's handwriting. The biggest reason for the victim coming forward seems to have been what Takei had said about Spacey and the hypocrisy being the major reason for now revealing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaren wrote:
LateCold wrote:

It's pretty stunning, Stern is talking about the Trump "grab 'em" line and says to Takei, "you would never do this, right?" and Takei hesitates, repeatedly, and offers justifications for in fact without invitation grabbing men by the genitals to encourage them to have sex with him.

I have no idea whether this latest accusation is in fact real. I have no realistic way to ascertain the actual truth of any of the accusations flying around out there. But I do find it pretty easy to take direct personal admissions of misconduct seriously, and in Takei's case it would appear that we have precisely that.

Yeah, it's possible to interpret this as "only" being too aggressive with someone who had shown interest in sex. A gay man of Takei's age might have had a number of situations where a person who was in the closet was interested but highly hesitant. I know some men who viewed that as part of the coming out process and appreciated that someone had been "aggressive" with them. But even if you're OK with that, that's a generous way to interpret his words.

A much more normal answer to that would be, "Absolutely not. Trump is talking about grabbing women's genitals simply because he wants to, with no consent from them for contact at all, let alone for sexual contact, and he's talking explicitly about getting away with it because of his power and celebrity. I have not and would never do anything like that. Now, have I been fooling around with a man and taken a next step without explicit verbal consent? Yes, and others have with me. But that was always in a context of consensual sexual contact and if my partner said no or expressed anything other than enthusiasm I would have backed off."

I'm reluctant to read too much into any one comment, but this certainly doesn't make me less likely to believe that the allegation is accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the story about Takei being molested as a 12 or 13 year old I believe that he's spoken about if you've ever seen his documentary or him talking to Stern about it. It was from a camp consular that was somewhere between 18-23 I want to say and Takei talked about his molestation a little too fondly.

I wonder how much his molestation may have played into his sexual harassment giving him a warped sense of view that it might be okay. I think in the documentary he says it was the first time he realized he was gay but it's been a long time since I've seen it. There is a bit of the clip that I posted where it sounds like he was trying to justify his sexual harassment on others by grabbing people who were hesitant as not being a big deal back in the day but is a big deal now but it's a little hard to say since he gets cut off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
LateCold wrote:
...I want to say and Takei talked about his molestation a little too fondly...

How should he talk about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LateCold wrote:

That's really bad.

You deciding somebody else is "skittish" or "afraid" is not a reason to grab them. And especially not because you're trying to "persuade" them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaren wrote:
LateCold wrote:

Ugh, the whole thing is gross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
LateCold wrote:
There's also the story about Takei being molested as a 12 or 13 year old I believe that he's spoken about if you've ever seen his documentary or him talking to Stern about it. It was from a camp consular that was somewhere between 18-23 I want to say and Takei talked about his molestation a little too fondly.

I wonder how much his molestation may have played into his sexual harassment giving him a warped sense of view that it might be okay. I think in the documentary he says it was the first time he realized he was gay but it's been a long time since I've seen it. There is a bit of the clip that I posted where it sounds like he was trying to justify his sexual harassment on others by grabbing people who were hesitant as not being a big deal back in the day but is a big deal now but it's a little hard to say since he gets cut off.

For real, you're going to act like he was happy to be molested or something? I think that he's entitled to deal with his emotions about it however the fuck he wants without the judgment of bystanders about his "tone."

He also should be drop kicked for trying to force himself on someone who couldn't resist years later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For real, you're going to act like he was happy to be molested or something?

Have you not seen the Stern interviews among others and the documentary that I was referring to? I'm assuming you haven't seen it since you think it's something on my part in which case I could get where you're coming from, but he speaks of it positively, not just with his tone but his words, calling it "wonderful" at one point. He can do with his emotions however he likes. He says he wasn't molested in his own words because he found him very attractive but it's STILL child molestation. I'd recommend watching his documentary if you are uninformed of the events, it was a pretty good movie even without that information.

What I trying to say was that he's a victim of child molestation, and was wondering to what degree an experience like that made him feel it was okay to do events like the one covered in this article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.