War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: When to declare Ringbearers? Help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Powell
msg tools
mbmb
This is how I see it:
1) It takes between 10-11 moves to get from Rivendell to Mordor/start climbing Mount Doom.
2) The higher the Fellowship Progress Marker (scale 0-12), the further a Companion may travel when separating them from the Fellowship.

So, to my mind, *unless the Ringbearers have a lot of corruption*, it doesn't make sense to declare the Ringbearers until I hit 10/11.

Why declare earlier? All it does is put my Ringbearers somewhere out on the map and then reset the Progress Marker to 0.

And a follow-up question:
If it takes 10+ Ringbearer moves to get to Mount Doom, doesn't that make the game seriously stacked against the Free Peoples? I mean, in order to get the Ringbearers to Mount Doom, you need to roll 10+ character dice. That ain't easy, even with the Joker Will of the West die and using the Elven Rings. I'm currently in the middle of a game where I've had three turns in a row where I didn't roll a single character die.

EDIT: # of moves to Mordor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should declare at 4 if you wish to go to Moria, as if you're revealed and try to go through the Shadow Player gets another hunt tile. You would also declare if the opponent has positioned units of nazgul above the ring bearers, as this let's the opponent reroll on the hunt dice. You also might declare to enter a free controlled area, which cuts off some of the enemy's cards.

And to answer your last question, definitely not. If you are struggling to roll 11 character dice in your entire game, you've done something wrong or are incredibly unlucky. The average game includes around 50 dice for the FSP, and 1/3 of those is C dice. Including WoW dice, half of the results are able to move the fellowship. Additionally, you have the three eleven rings to help you. Getting to mount doom shouldn't be hard, getting there without corruption taking over is the hard part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the fellowship is still in Rivendell, there is little reason to declare. The fellowship is safe from nazgul while they are in a stronghold, and like you said, companions have more flexibility in traveling if the marker is higher up.

But, things don't always go according to plan. Once the fellowship has been revealed and moved out of Rivendell, there are a lot of reasons to declare. Mainly, can help escape rerolls or dodge extra tiles from being revealed through Strongholds. Also, if the fellowship is at 0, that prevents the shadow player from playing certain event cards.

But yes, the dream scenario is to move 10 times safely and declare straight from Rivendell to Mordor.

Regarding your balance question, it's not that hard to roll 10+ character dice. With 4 dice, you're expected to roll 2 character or WoW dice per turn. So theoretically it's 5 turns to get to Mordor. That's an awfully short clock for the shadow player to collect the necessary VPs. Some turns you won't roll any C/W dice, and those are good turns to use an Elven ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you invest 1-2 C/W dice early to get Gandalf/Aragorn, that investment will pay off in more C/W dice later in the game. That's why it's often good to kill Gandalf early, since you can resurrect him with a single W die, and he'll pay back that investment quickly. That's also one reason why the event cards that separate companions can be useful, since you can get Strider out of the fellowship with a P die, instead of a precious C die. Of course, if you're sprinting the fellowship to mordor, you might want to leave Strider in, due to his hiding ability, which is huge since it turns any die into a C for purposes of hiding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
The entire OP seems to assume the Fellowship is never revealed so can sit in Rivendell for as long as they wish.

Are you sure you are playing the Reveal rules correctly? Whenever the Shadow draws a tile with a Reveal icon, the Fellowship must reset the Movement to 0 and move the fellowship up to that many spaces. They can't reveal in a Free Peoples city or stronghold so are forced out into the open.

From there as mentioned above - the Shadow can sic armies and Nazgul onto the fellowship, which give extra rerolls during the hunt. At that point the Fellowship probably want to declare so they can move away from those Nazgul and Armies. Eventually they may want to declare in a city or stronghold to heal corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor pla
Spain
la senia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This and many other answers, here: Survival Guide for Inexperienced Hobbits

Quote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
meleke wrote:
This and many other answers, here: Survival Guide for Inexperienced Hobbits

Quote:

I would probably Reveal the Fellowship when reaching Minas Morgul/Morannon even if in ”another friendly Stronghold”...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
You should declare at 4 if you wish to go to Moria, as if you're revealed and try to go through the Shadow Player gets another hunt tile. You would also declare if the opponent has positioned units of nazgul above the ring bearers, as this let's the opponent reroll on the hunt dice. You also might declare to enter a free controlled area, which cuts off some of the enemy's cards.

And to answer your last question, definitely not. If you are struggling to roll 11 character dice in your entire game, you've done something wrong or are incredibly unlucky. The average game includes around 50 dice for the FSP, and 1/3 of those is C dice. Including WoW dice, half of the results are able to move the fellowship. Additionally, you have the three eleven rings to help you. Getting to mount doom shouldn't be hard, getting there without corruption taking over is the hard part.

If you declare with four, you have to risk them having "Cruel Weather" and moving you back into Moria. I was planning to do this but did not roll any event dice that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:

If you declare with four, you have to risk them having "Cruel Weather" and .....

Cruel Weather needs the fellowship marker to be on one or more, so if they declare there is no risk for that card to be played to force them back into Moria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
GamesJart wrote:
blondlostime wrote:

If you declare with four, you have to risk them having "Cruel Weather" and .....

Cruel Weather needs the fellowship marker to be on one or more, so if they declare there is no risk for that card to be played to force them back into Moria.

Not immediately - but before the fellowship can get 2 spaces from Moria they will need to move and declare/reveal. So unless they are revealed the Shadow will usually have chance to play it.

It's a factor for sure. But I'm not sure the threat of Cruel Weather alone would stop me from declaring 1 space past Moria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the shadow player can reveal the FSP after playing Cruel Weather, the fellowship can just declare out of Moria the next turn and suffer no consequences. Assuming no LOME Balrog, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
Unless the shadow player can reveal the FSP after playing Cruel Weather, the fellowship can just declare out of Moria the next turn and suffer no consequences. Assuming no LOME Balrog, of course.

True, I guess the only problem (other than possibly some card effects?) is that it would give the Shadow hunt re-rolls on any other hunt rolls they get before they can declare. So either if the Shadow play a card that lets them roll for the hunt or if the Fellowship tries to move again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Powell
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.