Formula-1» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Spinning Off as a Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I recently encountered a comment elsewhere on the site which showed a poor understanding of the game. It amounted to a claim that the best strategy was simply to go as fast as possible and let the care spin off. This is generally possible, you can ramp up speed a lot and if you hit a corner +60 you are spinning not burning tyre wear. Sometimes it can be a really sound strategy. If your car is on its last legs then simply belting down the top straight and spinning out might make more sense than trying to coax it along, but those are very limited circumstances.

To illustrate just how bad this strategy is I generated two tracks, one for a red car deliberately hitting each corner at +60 and another for a green car avoiding any tyre or break wear as it went around and hitting all corners (outside is best for this) at safe speeds.

Roughly speaking spinning costs you two or three spaces in terms of time, so this racks up pretty fast, and as you can see (both cars have taken thirteen moves) by the end of lap that has made a huge difference to the relative positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nostalgia

I used to play this as a kid a long long time ago. Still have my copy but haven't played in decades.

I remember that we tried every strategy. But we gravitated towards taking corners 1 over the speed limit near the beginning of the race. If the early die rolls were good, then we sped up and took the later corners at 2 over the speed limit.

Spinning out just didn't work, because of having to start from standstill. But we still experimented with it occasionally but only if the car arrived exactly on the corner space and that the corner had a really low speed.

The pure strategy of maximum speed is clearly bad. A secondary question would be: Is it ever a good idea to spin out on purpose on a corner (but not on every corner). I could see it as a possibility if your tyres and brakes are almost shot anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
rubberchicken wrote:
Nostalgia
A secondary question would be: Is it ever a good idea to spin out on purpose on a corner (but not on every corner). I could see it as a possibility if your tyres and brakes are almost shot anyways.

I think it has some utility on the bottom straight if you could make a series of 160 moves. However, I suspect it would still be better to apply break wear to manage a +40 if you still had them. And it can conceivably work from just the right position to take the inside of the top right corner if you have been balked on the outside line, potentially allowing you to pull out of the spin zone just in front of the next player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Blanchard
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can be a strong move if followed by the Accelerate to 120 card.

Personally though I dislike this move as not being authentic and our group have a house rule penalising it with having to miss a go which effectively prevents it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.