Subject: Help please, painting starting survivors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just glued the stone face bases to the 30mm bases. Now I think I shouldn't have because I read somewhere that it is better to colour code the 30mm bases and use them as needed on the models. Is there a problem when I just paint the glued on bases in a different colour each? Do they need to be swapable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're fine. I suggest (if you are going to color the bases at all) that you just paint the edge of the bases a different color. It's only to help you I.D. your model on the board. There is no need to swap model colors, just know that Survivor model "a" is always blue for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I have planed: in the box are cards with the starting survivors and a number. They all have different colours and those are the colours I'll paint the outer base with so every player gets the card and always is aware of which mini is his. (not plan on use the armour sets tho)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I dry brushed some color on to the stone faces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik P
Sweden
flag msg tools
I simply painted 4 of the ground bases(without the top part) and put some varnish on. Then just use poster putty to stick it under the normal base of the survivor.

https://imgur.com/a/g8Ryu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don’t need to color code them at all. The models are fairly different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Adshead
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I instead went for a different approach and simply painted the hair of each one a certain colour (Red, Green, Blue and Black). I've found that this makes it more subtle than having the bases coloured, as all bases can be black edged and stay uniform.

It's really just down to whatever works for you though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:

Exactly.

Write the models name or armor/weapon set on the sheet when they depart.

The stating ones all have specific names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far I have played through several years with just using the starting survivors and I have not mistaken one for the other yet. I glued one male and female starter on regular bases and the other two in stone face. I make a simple note by their name and viola. Easy. I thought about colors on the base (and like the hair idea). But if can keep them straight to start it only gets easier when I start to mix in armor kit models

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tenzer
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:

That, I don't see the problem that one could fall prone to mistake one model for another.

If you really want to colour code the bases, I'd avise you to only paint the sockets of the bases in distinct colours.
Use a black basecoat for the sockets and an thinned out drab colour variant for red, blue, green or brown to keep the colours dark but recognizable, so they don't distract from the model too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Please dont color the bases... even in games where the style is more gamish and not as artful as in KDM I hate to see that since it always breaks immersion so much.
KDM has a very dark style and is not about rainbows and unicorns so please dont turn your miniatures into a my little pony farm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw: one of the female survivors has red hair the other black. One male has brown the other white... at least if you paint them like the artwork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
KDM has a very dark style and is not about rainbows and unicorns so please dont turn your miniatures into a my little pony farm.

That's not what the rulebook art shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
tumorous wrote:
Cuthailion wrote:

This fairly recent set is the first I've seen that tries to match the paint job to the concept art. Definitely, "dark" is not term I would use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barkey
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like it a bit less colorfull, take a look to my pics here: https://www.instagram.com/kdmgermany/

It is a simple 5-steps-tutorial and some example pics. d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Cuthailion wrote:

We are talking about the starting survivors and ok I am a newb to KDM and havent spoilered myself to much about whats going on later in the game.
What I do know is we are having a first Showdown with the whit lion (mostly white) on dark grey board thats supposed to be a part of a world of stone faces. The survivors have nothing but some stones and light greyish (possibly white) loin cloth.
The only light in this world comes from their lanterns. Ok they spend a yellow-orange light.
In this fight the only other colors are the flesh of the survivors and blood (if you paint it very gorey).
The first nemesis is the butcher. A dark brutish warrior. What colors enter the pallete? Brown and bone?
The Antelope? Brown and red muscle-flesh. To me at least the start of the game is very darkish and without color. I know that many people have painted their phoenix in very bright color and since I haven't looked at the rest of the book and maybe thats canon. But since we are talking about the begining of this game I stand by what I have said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The darkest is not to even paint them at all.

Their lives are not worth paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Just push piles of unassembled limbs around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
tumorous wrote:
Cuthailion wrote:

We are talking about the starting survivors and ok I am a newb to KDM and havent spoilered myself to much about whats going on later in the game.
What I do know is we are having a first Showdown with the whit lion (mostly white) on dark grey board thats supposed to be a part of a world of stone faces. The survivors have nothing but some stones and light greyish (possibly white) loin cloth.
The only light in this world comes from their lanterns. Ok they spend a yellow-orange light.
In this fight the only other colors are the flesh of the survivors and blood (if you paint it very gorey).
The first nemesis is the butcher. A dark brutish warrior. What colors enter the pallete? Brown and bone?
The Antelope? Brown and red muscle-flesh. To me at least the start of the game is very darkish and without color. I know that many people have painted their phoenix in very bright color and since I haven't looked at the rest of the book and maybe thats canon. But since we are talking about the begining of this game I stand by what I have said.

I color-code my bases because I enjoy playing this game, and if I have to play solo, after all this time, the best way to remember who is who is to associate them with a color.

I also agree that if you just base dark grey with some shadows, this game looks great (but for my personal tastes, this is not enough).

I also agree that if you make something extremely dark, like Nick (spiralingcadaver) does, this game looks great (I usually devote some time to make one or two miniatures per set that way, but I am a crappy painter).

I also agree that if you try various patterns, some brighter, some darker, like Fen does, this game looks great (but some of the brightest patterns are not for me).

I also agree that, since you bought the game, if you paint it anything that makes the game look satisfying to you, the game still looks great.

Miniature painting is half objective technique and half personal tastes. The former can be (constructively) criticized, the latter, well, you still can criticize it, but it's just opinion vs opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
What colors enter the pallete?

If you need to be "accurate", you can go through the rulebook, etc. and try to match the artwork.

Or, you want to paint something that feels "right" to you.

Or, you can use the official artwork as inspiration for your personal scheme. It's entirely up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Went with hair and base to match the colours of the survivor cards -

The bases are glued together, but to be honest it doesn't make much difference for the starting survivors. The only real reason I can see for doing it would be with the armour kit models when you might want to have a particular model for a specific 'colour' player simply because the equipment on the model matches that of their survivor. Horses for courses there though - once we progress past loincloths and rocks I generally give players free reign to pick the models they want to use; some try and get one approximating their survivor's equipment; some just pick whichever one they think looks cool and use it for the entire campaign. As long as they're enjoying it I'm not inclined to argue

As far as the colour scheme goes the main concern for me was that the models are easy to distinguish on the board. The prologue survivors get a lot of use with new players (even if they're joining a campaign mid-way I run them through the prologue fight first so they can get a handle on the way the combat works) and they've generally got enough to worry about without also having to remember if their guy is the one with the beard or not. I think it works -

This has locked me into a somewhat more colourful interpretation of KDM which, oddly enough, I actually find slightly more disturbing than the usual dark and sombre tones. I mean I gave my White Lion a bright orange mane - it's like being savaged by a Saturday morning cartoon

(I tell myself I'm just following KDM's more obvious anime influences)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YakoshDej wrote:
If you like it a bit less colorfull, take a look to my pics here: https://www.instagram.com/kdmgermany/

It is a simple 5-steps-tutorial and some example pics. d10-1

I did something similar and it looks great with little effort. The big plus is that I have enough minis to paint already and the KD:M minis look great this way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up "Gemstones by Bead Landing" from Michael's for $7 after coupon and tax. You're obviously not going to use them for just one game, but semi-precious stones can be used to easily "color" bases while keeping the aesthetic.

http://img.michaels.com/L6/3/IOGLO/855529643/202910481/10371...|220:220
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I picked up "Gemstones by Bead Landing" from Michael's for $7 after coupon and tax. You're obviously not going to use them for just one game, but semi-precious stones can be used to easily "color" bases while keeping the aesthetic.

http://img.michaels.com/L6/3/IOGLO/855529643/202910481/10371...|220:220

I know you really bought these to decorate your Jean jacket. You can't fool me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
The darkest is not to even paint them at all.

Their lives are not worth paint.

Yes, they can die before the paint's even dry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.