Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31» Forums » Rules

Subject: Molotovs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Sanderson

Illinois
msg tools
In the Rec Room, before a Mission starts, any player may
discard a Molotov face up. This will allow everyone to discard
a card and draw a new one. The person who discarded the
Molotov may discard an additional card
. Only one Molotov
may be discarded per round.

It reads like the player that discard the molotov discards it for the party to all discard and draw and they discard one more card to pull back to 4. I did read that someone saying no, that molotov player, pulls back up to 5 cards. I'm just double checking. Thanks everyone
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Barrage Podcast
Avatar
mbmbmb
You know what ... The more I read this rule, the more I'm confused by it. I thought we had it right over here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1881598/some-rules-question...

But strictly as written it suggests the following:

1. John plays a molotov card, discarding it. John now has 4 cards.
2. Everyone, including John, discards a card. John has 3 cards.
3. Everyone, including John, draws a card. John has 4 cards again.
4. John then may discard an additional card. John has 3 cards. ?????

Which can't possibly be right.

The PROBABLY CORRECT interpretation is yours, which is:

1. John plays a molotov card, discarding it. John now has 4 cards.
2. Everyone, including John, discards a card. John has 3 cards.
3. Everyone, including John, draws a card. John has 4 cards again. (Meanwhile, everyone else has 5 cards.)

And the PROBABLY NOT CORRECT interpretation is the one I've been playing in the thread up there.

1. John plays a molotov card, discarding it. John now has 4 cards.
2. Everyone, including John, discards a card. John has 3 cards.
3. Everyone, including John, draws a card. John has 4 cards.
4. Only John draws another card. John has 5 cards.

I'd really love to get an official ruling on this, because I'm more confused than ever.

(Tangential rant, completely forgot the rule about only playing one molotov a round tonight. Why can't all the text just be on the card?!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Sanderson

Illinois
msg tools
I think its my intepretation. And I think its ok because I works in the idea that you spend flashlights and extinguishers right before heading into a room. thus leaving you at disadvantage of 4 cards anyway. so going into a room with 4 because you used a molotov makes sense and seems legit.

I think ruling as stands is its much for about the attempt to get the party and you 1 new card.


1. John plays a molotov card, discarding it. John now has 4 cards.
2. Everyone, including John, discards a card. John has 3 cards.
3. Everyone, including John, draws a card. John has 4 cards again. (Meanwhile, everyone else has 5 cards.)

this is the correct version, in my opinion.

thanks for the help
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Barrage Podcast
Avatar
mbmbmb
Yeah, I think based on your fire extinguisher and flashlight comparison, that's probably correct. That's how I'll be playing it until I hear otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things:

1) What is the benefit of the player of the Molotov to optionally discard a second card without a corresponding draw (apart from getting a replacement at the end of a turn, after the mission has ended)? (EDIT: I suppose the "burning/cleansing" concept means that players who don't want certain cards in their hands can get rid of them, but this extra bit just seems tiny unless the idea is that it lets a human ditch a Sabotage or potentially useless card, or an Imitation to drop powerful cards; and the lack of a corresponding draw adds the security of knowing that there is no lie that could follow about what they got in return.)

2) The glossary entry for Molotov is even more confusing than the text discussed above:

Quote:
Molotov (p16) — A special Supply card which allows players in the Rec Room to exchange a pair of cards for new ones a card from their hand for a new one from the deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Barrage Podcast
Avatar
mbmbmb
The benefit would be as you described, getting the card replaced during the draw step at the end of the round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua garrison
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I completely disagree with what’s being said here and I find this easily understood. A player may discard a Molotov to allow everyone to discard and draw a new card. In addition to this the player who discarded the Molotov may also discard and additional card allowing him to draw 2 cards from the supply (instead of just the one to replace the Molotov) as stated in the glossary. So everyone at the start of the mission will have 5 cards including the player who discarded the Molotov.

Also the argument mention earlier that those who use a flashlight or fire extinguisher are at a 4 card disadvantage is an entirely different situation than the Molotov one. Those are being used to unlock/ enter/ being used during mission “thematically” where as the Molotov is used before the mission is even embarked on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VTheSandmanV wrote:
I think its my intepretation. And I think its ok because I works in the idea that you spend flashlights and extinguishers right before heading into a room. thus leaving you at disadvantage of 4 cards anyway. so going into a room with 4 because you used a molotov makes sense and seems legit.

I think ruling as stands is its much for about the attempt to get the party and you 1 new card.


1. John plays a molotov card, discarding it. John now has 4 cards.
2. Everyone, including John, discards a card. John has 3 cards.
3. Everyone, including John, draws a card. John has 4 cards again. (Meanwhile, everyone else has 5 cards.)

this is the correct version, in my opinion.

thanks for the help


I agree with this. The power of the molotov (a lot of cards swapping) is balanced with the molotov being out of hand (molotov player ends with four cards in hand)... until end of round when everyone gets back to five (though strictly speaking if molotov player DID NOT GO OUT OF REC ROOM they do not draw up to five!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua garrison
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Read Molotov in the glossary of the rule book.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua garrison
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your spending a flashlight or an extinguisher to go into a room. The Molotov has nothing to do with rooms or missions. Molotov happens before all that. I will write them to get an official answer and report back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Barrage Podcast
Avatar
mbmbmb
I don't see how the glossary clarifies anything:

Quote:
Molotov (p16) — A special Supply card which allows players in the Rec Room to exchange a pair of cards for new ones a card from their hand for a new one from the deck


Not only is that worded extremely weirdly, it doesn't even specifically mention any specific benefit to the player discarding the Molotov.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua garrison
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you own an actual copy of the game? The rule book must have been edited before release because it does not say that at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua garrison
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had written them so hopefully I get an answer soon. I really don’t care who’s right I would just love to know how to play it correctly and let you know what I find out. I also asked about the power outage and smoke/ fire being in the same room. It seems common sense that they could but The rules don’t specifically say and don’t hurt to ask
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Great, looking forward to it.

Btw here's the BGG profile of the creator of the game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/98899/joe-van-we...

I've asked him if he could visit this forum at some point, we'll see if he can/will.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Sanderson

Illinois
msg tools
Joshua

Is actually right. p. 16 of the rule book. player that plays molotov is able to discard another card and then draw two cards from the top of the deck. I didn't see that when I looked at the definition the first time. Thanks man. Any word on power outages and smoke/fire in the same room rules?

in my opinion you should be able to just pop the extinguisher to put out the fire and not need a flashlight...mainly due to logic of fire is the light source. But keep us up to date.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Christopher, I'm looking at it right now but it doesn't match what you said:

Quote:
MOLOTOV
In the Rec Room, before a Mission starts, any player may
discard a Molotov face up. This will allow everyone to discard
a card and draw a new one. The person who discarded the
Molotov may discard an additional card. Only one Molotov
may be discarded per round.


However that's the PDF version, maybe it's different in the actual rule book? I don't have access to it right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua garrison
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well they did write me back saying that yes you can have a power outage and smoke/ fire in the same room. That you would just need both a flashlight and a fire extinguisher to enter.
Unfortunately they made no mention of my main question concerning the Molotov. I may write them again if it’s not answered soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van Wetering
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Darric wrote:
You know what ... The more I read this rule, the more I'm confused by it. I thought we had it right over here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1881598/some-rules-question...


1. John plays a molotov card, discarding it. John now has 4 cards.
2. Everyone, including John, discards a card. John has 3 cards.
3. Everyone, including John, draws a card. John has 4 cards.
4. Only John draws another card. John has 5 cards.


This seems to be the rule we're getting the most questions on. surprise

I have quoted the correct answer here. Sorry for the confusion!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua garrison
United States
Wooster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! thanks for the official responses! Just to clarify the player does not have to discard an additional card after the Molotov if he doesn’t want to correct? Leaving him to draw only one card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
joevw wrote:
Darric wrote:
You know what ... The more I read this rule, the more I'm confused by it. I thought we had it right over here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1881598/some-rules-question...


1. John plays a molotov card, discarding it. John now has 4 cards.
2. Everyone, including John, discards a card. John has 3 cards.
3. Everyone, including John, draws a card. John has 4 cards.
4. Only John draws another card. John has 5 cards.


This seems to be the rule we're getting the most questions on. surprise

I have quoted the correct answer here. Sorry for the confusion!


Thanks for coming here Joe and thanks for the game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Barrage Podcast
Avatar
mbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks for the response, Joe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Sanderson

Illinois
msg tools
Gary,
page 19 sorry of the rule book in the Glossary

Molotov - a special supply card which allows players in the rex room to exchange one card from their hand with the top card from the supply deck. the person who plays this card may discard an additional card to draw the top two cards from the deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van Wetering
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
jaguitar7 wrote:
Awesome! thanks for the official responses! Just to clarify the player does not have to discard an additional card after the Molotov if he doesn’t want to correct? Leaving him to draw only one card.


Correct, if they dont want to, like everyone else they dont need to discard the extra card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

What the heck is the timing of the Molotov? When can it be played? Only before even looking at the Mission Log? Then it seems like a weird card since you won't know what you need.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.