Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
I am new to the game and trying to decide what add-ons to the soldier (minis) tier get. There has been a lot of spending of late (looking at you, Mythic Games) so I can't just go "all in" and sort through what I like. It would be great to get thoughts on add-ons. My current thoughts on whether to buy or not:
Ghost Minis - no brainer, nothing but good comments.

World Events - Sounds fun, maybe worth having?

Recipes - Sounds fussy. Skip.

Terrain Pack - On the fence. Not sure how much it will add. In other games I find that having -some- terrain elements makes it harder to notice the 2D elements. Not sure if that is true here.

Dark Oak - Must have, must paint. Usable in my D&D Campaign..

Encounter Sheets - We can just print online, right?

Character Sheet - We can just print online, right?

Player Mat - 48 for 4.. Its always a thing to find somewhere to store these things. I have one mat that fits my table, this doesn't seem worth it. Skip.

World Map - too big, skip

Demons and Artifacts - On the fence but KS exclusive so will buy. Heirlooms sound fun. Mini is so-so but price is ok.

Adventure Creation Kit - I want the scenario book but not the kit. $30 is too much for what I want. Skip.

Equipment Pack - Given reviews lamenting the lack in 1E this is a good choice. Should have just made that part of the base game but whatever.

So I am considering world events, ghosts, terrain, dark oak, and equipment for $72+ or a total pledge of $222 + cost of Equipment pack if unlocked.

I probably need to trim that back a bit.

Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
From a thread 2days ago just copy paste since most is in there so sorry no personal reply ;-)

Recipes & Crafting Addon gives you 50 all new item card that get mixed into the base game item stack. So basically it adds in variety but that's not the main aspect of that addon.
You get 15 Recipe Cards and 35 Consumables or ingredients what's a better term for them.
For Basegame you could simply use consumables as one time bonuses so there was just that one aspect. Quite good when a consumable can make the difference during a fight. But then no further consideration for consumables. With Recipes you give them a collectable status for now you have to consider if using that consumable now during an encounter for its one time effect or if its not wiser to hold it back for a pretty nice a recipe that will let you create a nice range weapon. A recipe can be everything from armor to weapon or potion. Most do cost a specific amount of consumables and sometimes even potions that need to be bought at town.
So this adds much to your gaming table.

Then there are the world events which are drawn one at random for a chapter. After the chapter has ended and right after next chapter starts you just draw another world event.
This card deck adds to the immersion and world building a bit as well as variety since those events last for a complete chapter and range from weather conditions so a malus on ranged weapon attacks due to stormy weather or a new merchant that enters a certain town for new services that are available then or just some bonus or malus to some skill checks or character values. The variety there is great and it helps to let you play the game in a more responding world.

What i can highly recommend as well are the character pads since they add so much to your gaming table in what is needed the most: a clear structure to the game. A clean and organized game is much more fun in my opinion and that's what the pads stand for.
And they are exclusive so no retail availability.

Also take a very close look on the equipment card pack that will be unlocked during kickstarter when reaching 2000 backers. This card pack contains all the character specific item cards that can be bought during play via your character booklets. There are items that need to be exhausted after use and even when purchasing a weapon your charater pad will have two empty hand slots for as long as you use this weapon and do not have this pack. So in one sentence: A must have.

And dont we forget about the demons and dark artefact addon that will bring you a all new card deck called heirlooms. Now this adds during character creation for you draw one at random per character and this little bonus will be a lifetime bonus that stays for the character the whole game. And in addition to that this addon provides you with even more artefacts and another affliction mini including a .pdf download story (which is also physical available with the minstrel pledge at second kickstarter).

Speaking of the minstrel pledge which contains a new story book (nightmare stories) with six new stories. Three of them are the download version ones from first kickstarter and the other three are completely new. And the lore book or as official called adventure creation kit that gives lot of info over kremel and its monsters. This book let's you create new heroes new monsters and new stories as well. If not for the book cause you do not want to create own stuff then at least for the new stories this is interesting.

My two cents as always
Keep playing and have fun
All the best
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, I did look back before posting but must have missed this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
And another copy paste from a thread two weeks ago i think also no personal input but its ok i bet.

Ghost Minis

Well I would say get em cause you can change your mini for a ghost mini when dying. And let me tell you one thing the whole part with ghosts and ghost points etc is well fleshed out so you will die and not only once ;-) but its possible to come back to life with a penalty so yep worth it in my opinion.
Also you get the Mini for a affliction that comes with the game.

Colossal Dark Oak

If your not the mini type you can skip on that one since its only a mini for an affliction that comes with the base game as a token. You will only fight him/her/it once so that's the only one I would say skip on if any but then if all other stuff is mini why not this one you know ;-)

Edit: Since the mini will be used multiple times during various stories i would go for it as well (i also would go all in on this game i do really like it damn much :-))

Greetings
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Regarding the character sheets, I'm finding printing them myself slightly annoying (they're double-sided), and they are definitely needed to play the game. The other sheets are useless, in my opinion. Likewise, the neoprene mats; useless.

I'm happy I got the ghosts and the colossal dark oak. The ghosts look nice and help the gameplay; the oak is a very substantial miniature that looks a lot more impressive than a cardboard disc.

The rest, I can't comment on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Its all right i get that stuff gets overlooked but i am too lazy right now to answer on your request in personal so just copy pasted

Have a good one and thx for helping the creators in making the community grow.

We are folklore.

Greets
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The world events add flavor and random events to your story chapters so they’re good for immersion but not a must have.

I’m glad I have them but between that and artifacts, I think the artifacts and heirlooms are more impactful. Terrain is nice but doesn’t improve game Lay. It just makes it prettier.

Haven’t tried using recipes yet. The item deck is already huge.

Map and character maps are bling. I’d definitely say print the character and encounter sheets over buying them. There’s also some variants on here that try to eliminate the player card in favor of a single piece of of paper.

At least three of the stories in the new adventure journal are already in pdf form. Not sure if the new three will also be handled that way but if so, you’re not missing out on game content.

Dark oak is awesome. Also bling but so freaking cool.

I went all-in last time but only because by the time I selected what I wanted, plus shipping, I was at the same price.

Something that I would strongly recommend if it gets unlocked is the extra equipment cards for character specific items. You can track it on character sheets but if all your gear is in card form, it’s weird to have some of it not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player mats are not useful nor worth it. They are not well designed. First of all they are BIG, but don't actually fit cards even at bardic setup (abilities need to already overlap).

They just take up a lot of space.

Also they have an annoying typo I reported in another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Don't forget to check ebay for listings of expansions that you might be able to get for cheaper (I'm listing the hero minis on Monday!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.