Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure you are playing this correctly.
"Once per round, you may return 1 of your animals to the supply for a guest token, which you place this round as you would a family member. (The guest represents the animal.)"

Maximum of one guest per round. It would in effect go last - meaning that extra action is typically one of the least valued actions.

Not overpowered at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you could say the same thing about having extra family members on hand. They would then always choose the least valued actions. Yet getting more family members is integral to doing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Well you could say the same thing about having extra family members on hand. They would then always choose the least valued actions. Yet getting more family members is integral to doing well.

The difference being that no one is arguing for that to be banned, or that it is over-powered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that this card is not over-powered. First, you have to be able to accommodate two animal types, which will require building a stable or fencing a pasture (and the attendant resource gathering)--let's call that two actions--then obtain the animals, another two actions, and finally playing the card itself. Meanwhile, each time you use it, you lose an animal, which will interfere with potential breeding (assuming you're capable of doing so) and/or lose you points outright. Plus, on top of all that, you've still got to compete for growth and establishing a proper food engine.

I just don't see all that being all that easy. Not saying it won't kick some ass in certain situations, but as a rule, no. FotM makes it a bit easier thanks to horses, but the rest of the hoops you have to jump through still make it difficult to really exploit to serious effect. Any significant competition for animals will shut this card down in a hurry, I'd opine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moroccan wrote:
PaulEvans wrote:
I'm not sure you are playing this correctly.
"Once per round, you may return 1 of your animals to the supply for a guest token, which you place this round as you would a family member. (The guest represents the animal.)"

Maximum of one guest per round. It would in effect go last - meaning that extra action is typically one of the least valued actions.

Not overpowered at all.

Yes. I played it correctly "once per round" but still get me 5 more actions than other players.

You do realise that each guest is only usable once? You don't get to keep the guest token from round to round so you would never have "5 more actions" in the same round (but you may get it over the course of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulEvans wrote:
The difference being that no one is arguing for that to be banned, or that it is over-powered.

But that's not the only difference. Getting a family member takes a lot more effort and pre-requisites and upkeep than playing Animal Farm and using its ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
PaulEvans wrote:

But that's not the only difference. Getting a family member takes a lot more effort and pre-requisites and upkeep than playing Animal Farm and using its ability.

Well, the upkeep of the Animal Farm seems higher to me: it requires an animal per use. Let's say a sheep. A normal family member costs 2 food per harvest. If you have cooking equipment, you can use a sheep per harvest. So the upkeep seems lower to me.
An extra family member is definitely more effort to get than Animal Farm, but also the reward is higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.