Subject: Folklore vs Perditions Mouth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt zobel
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking that I am going to back one of these two projects. Seeing that I am posting in the Folklore forum I am probably going to get more support for Folklore here which is actually where I am leaning right now.

The main difference that I see is dice vs not. What other big differences in these two game would lead you one way vs the other?

Any input would be appreciated...thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have both they are the exact opposite on the euro/ameritrash spectrum.

Folklore is an adventure game where you roll a lot of dice, with little tactic or controll but with a lot of storyttelling.

Perdition's mouth is way heavier, way closer to an euro game, more puzzle solving. One of my usual player did not like it at all because it was too "brainy" for a dungeon crawler. I like it but i can see how it could be hard for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have PM but not Folklore. (Taking a long, hard look at it, though.) You’re right: Folklore appears to be built around dice. There are no dice in PM, so things are quite tactical. The use of a rondel to plot turns gives you lots of control of your characters and their situation. There is a luck element present in the cards, but it can be mitigated to a great extent.

I’m not usually a Euro guy, but PM totally works for me despite the fact that I’m historically a fan of dicefests.....

The biggest hurdle to getting into Folklore for me is the cost of getting everything. Ow, quit it. yuk I got my retail copy of PM on sale at CSI for about 60 bucks! I’m backing their new Kickstarter to get the upgrade kit and one of the expansions and I’m still spending a good bit less than backing Folklore IF I want it all...which I do.

Not sure you can go wrong either way. KatWeazle does a great job with his series of videos for PM. Most helpful in getting a feel for the game. Here’s a link for the first one and you can link right to the next video if you’d like.

https://rpggeek.com/video/128533/perditions-mouth-abyssal-ri...

Good luck with your decision and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
For me perditions mouth is more like a puzzle that wants to be solved. This game has so much consideration and thinking forward in advance that playing this game with others who tend to be thinkers it gets pretty stall cause all this downtime and waiting for everyone to get done is horrible.

So dont get me wrong i like PM but played only the first two chapters. This game is definitely a solo game for all this thinking and considering of who can do what with the least resources spend etc.

The good thing is that no dice are involved so practically you can outthink every tuen and outcome quite good (besides extra card draw) but this is also the big flaw for playing it with others. Just so much downtime and waiting for others and still you will also think as much as all others did cause this game is brutal and not forgiving if doing some failures or wrong assumptions death will be swift.

So i prefer folklore a lot more and storywise there is no comparison possible since pm has no story as such just some background so if having to choose which one i would want to play i would always vote for folklore.

Greets
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.