Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Van Dam
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received The Robots expansion included with my used copy of Power Grid. It was definitely a selling feature as I don't have a lot of friends that play heavier games. I knew I loved power Grid and knew this made the 2 player game better/playable.

Components
The expansion is a bunch of thick cardboard tiles shaped likes parts of a robot, and some instructions.

The tiles are sturdy and have clear writing on them, although occasional reference to the instructions will be necessary for clarifications at first. The instructions are easy to understand.

Game Play
The way they change play in Power Grid is simple, they become an additional player.
Tiles are selected to form a robot, head, torso, legs, feet, etc each with a bit of the program of the robot. Each part tells you what to do in a different phase. Telling how much to spend on a new power plant, how to expand on the board, how many resources/fuel to buy etc.

Our Experience
You definitely before hand what the Robot is going to do, and the fun of the game is having to factor that in to your decisions, and to the predictions you make for your human opponent(s). At first it was a bit tricky to figure out exactly what our robot was doing, so turns took a little longer than expected, but after the first game we had it down.

The robots do indeed make a compelling and competitive game. With all that has to be considered it is difficult to stay on top of exactly how everything is going to impact you, especially when you play at a reasonable/brisk pace. The auctions, while not as compelling, are still kept quite interesting, and the area control becomes a new sort of puzzle too.

I added a small k-9 figure to be our "robot" which adds to the fun.
The robots are not terribly difficult to beat, but they do add complexity to the mix that is lacking in a normal 2 player game.

Pros
- Makes Power Grid Play well at 2 players
- Fits right in the base game box
- good quality components
- enough tiles to create a lot of combinations

cons
- The robots aren't as good a human players, and are predictable

Response to cons
- The robots aren't supposed to be as good as human players, their roles is to add complexity which they do well. It will always be better to add people, but when that isn't an option this is a really good alternative.

Final Thoughts

Power Grid: The Robots is a fantastic little expansion that does a lot to make Power Grid a good solid two player game. The game does take on a different feel, but it is still a complex and fun challenge. While I prefer having a person to a Robot, I see including Robots in every 2 player play, and most 3 player ones.
If you're like me and have a small pool of friends that play games like Power Grid it is a must buy.

I rate Power Grid Robots a 10/10

UMCR Reviews Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john newman
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for a good thorough review. I still have my copy of Robots in the shrink wrap. Sounds like it's time to try a two-player game of Power Grid. Have you tried the "Against the Trust" variant for two players? How do the Robots compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Van Dam
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnpnewman wrote:
Thank you for a good thorough review. I still have my copy of Robots in the shrink wrap. Sounds like it's time to try a two-player game of Power Grid. Have you tried the "Against the Trust" variant for two players? How do the Robots compare.

My copy of Power Grid came with The Robots expansion so I've only used that in my two player sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

I am not even as fortunate as you as I usually don’t even have one player to play with so I have to play solitaire with the Robots. I found it works very well playing against three Robots. Normally one of them ends up being pretty competitive, one of them is so so, and the third one is pretty is not so competitive. It may not be as good as an all human game, but it scratches my itch well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.