9 Posts

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » General

Subject: Recommended for Solo-Only? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Lanter
msg tools
Hello,

I'm trying to decide what game to buy next and I've narrowed my list to this and Descent. I'm looking for a thematic/story-rich game, that is fun to play solo, and has plenty of replayability. I love to paint minis so that certainly attracts me to this game because of the quality of mini.

Would you recommend this game to someone who will only play it solo? If you have played Descent solo and can compare it to this, that would be really helpful but hearing the opinions of anyone who has played Silver Tower solo would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want theme and story in a solo dungeon crawler you might want to check out Mansions of Madness 2e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Granollers
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely!

Kuribosboot wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to decide what game to buy next and I've narrowed my list to this and Descent. I'm looking for a thematic/story-rich game, that is fun to play solo, and has plenty of replayability. I love to paint minis so that certainly attracts me to this game because of the quality of mini.

Would you recommend this game to someone who will only play it solo? If you have played Descent solo and can compare it to this, that would be really helpful but hearing the opinions of anyone who has played Silver Tower solo would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary smith
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through it twice solo, with different bands of heroes and had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a good deal of solo and I've also posted nearly half of the campaign as session reports. It's been great fun. Admittedly some quests were better than others. But I am nearly always up for a game (time permitted).

On the idea of how it compares to Descent, I cannot help. However, I feel that WHQ:ST really does a great job at theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lanter
msg tools
SpoDaddy wrote:
If you want theme and story in a solo dungeon crawler you might want to check out Mansions of Madness 2e.

This is actually the game that got me back into board games! I love it and am fairly caught up with buying and painting everything for MoM and am looking for another game that might be comparable.

I appreciate all of you sharing your opinions and experiences with Silver Tower. I am leaning heavily towards getting this game now. If anybody else has any further opinions, I'll gladly listen! I'll begin preparing my wallet in the meantime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuribosboot wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

This is actually the game that got me back into board games! I love it and am fairly caught up with buying and painting everything for MoM and am looking for another game that might be comparable.

I appreciate all of you sharing your opinions and experiences with Silver Tower. I am leaning heavily towards getting this game now. If anybody else has any further opinions, I'll gladly listen! I'll begin preparing my wallet in the meantime

Nothing compares to MoM2e in terms of theme and story, FFG really nailed that game perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuribosboot wrote:
Hello,

For solo play I definitely prefer this over Descent. To me, Descent is too fiddly with the app and managing multiple characters.

Silver Tower is much easier to solo.

For Silver Tower the theme is very intertwined with game play. There is a lot of flavor text provided for exploration and random encounters. But the theme of being trapped in the Silver Tower shines through. The game provides some fun meta challenges along the way. For example, one tile has players stack dice in order to cross a narrow bridge safely. If the dice fall, you fall and take damage.

BUT if you're looking for a nice story, there really isn't one here. You're trapped in this tower and you need to kill the bad guy for guts / glory, etc.

My only complaint is that is feels like you usually have a choice of 2 attacks. For a game that is so heavily combat based I think you need one or two more options from the start. This can be overcome with skill cards once your character levels up.

If you're asking this vs. Descent, I easily choose this game. If you want a solo story driven game, check out Sword & Sorcery. I have not played it yet, but from what i've seen it will be much more difficult to solo. But it seems to be very story driven and has lots of options for your characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From a gameplay point of view, Silver Tower is so much smoother and a lot less fiddly than Descent with the app. And as each hero only has some dice and a very few skill/item cards you don't get lost when you are playing multiple heroes at the same time.

The theme is solid and the randomness of the chamber deck adds to the chaotic nature of feeling lost in the Silver Tower, and adds good replayability.

Combat is easy and intuitive, and enemy handling is good.
You may need to adjust the spawn tables though, if you want to encounter exotic enemies more regularly (eg replacing Kairic Acolytes with Flamers/Screamers).
I will definitly do this for themed Silver Tower runs with the new adversary cards: nothing but Khorne enemies ;-)

Only downsides (compared to Descent):
- Story: you are thrown into a chaotic tower and fight your way out. Highly thematic, but that's about it.
- Character development: you have your 2-3 attacks (based on the hero) and some passive trait. You do gain some (random) skill cards along the way that can be useful, but it's no real progression. Some items are situational fun, too, but most of them are one-use items that get discarded afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.