Subject: GeekMod and images rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a New User, but I haven't used GeekMod that much and have a few questions about the rules:

- It says: No individual components, and yet I see lots of pictures of individual components be approved. Is this rule just not enforced?
- On a related note, I just declined a bunch of pictures of someone who just posted pictures of the front and back of all punchboards that are in the game, which I assume is in the spirit of the component rule, which is surely meant to prevent people from just printing their own game. (Note: This was not the designer of the game, or anybody connected with it, just someone who took detailed photos of all the punchboards.)
Was this correct or not?
- Pictures that are already in the data base (photos of the box cover) get approved all the time -- again, is the rules about "no duplicates" or "too similar" just not enforced? Should I be approving or rejecting such pictures?
I think having to wade through the same picture multiple times is annoying, and so I reject them, unless it's for a different language edition.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Gswp wrote:
- It says: No individual components, and yet I see lots of pictures of individual components be approved. Is this rule just not enforced?

It depends. Individual component pictures are actually and correctly rejected more often than not lately, which is a great improvement over how it used to be several years ago. You have to be careful though not to decline single cards or minis when they're the DB entry itself (it happens a lot that someone uploads a bunch of images for each single card promo or for each single mini expansion).

In cases where there's a bunch of single components for the main game, it tends to be considered okay to allow one or two examples (if none exist yet), and then decline the rest.

Gswp wrote:
- On a related note, I just declined a bunch of pictures of someone who just posted pictures of the front and back of all punchboards that are in the game, which I assume is in the spirit of the component rule, which is surely meant to prevent people from just printing their own game. (Note: This was not the designer of the game, or anybody connected with it, just someone who took detailed photos of all the punchboards.)
Was this correct or not?

It depends on the resolution. There's a maximum resolution (1900px) for such shots. Less than that, and the resolution isn't considered good enough for printing your own copy, which makes the punchboard photos useful for checking completeness of a game (wargamers in particular appreciate this for their games with endless amounts of chits).

This case definitely doesn't fall under the "individual component" rule, though. That one is meant to prevent the galleries from being flooded by dozens upon dozens of individual cards or minis, with emphasis on the flooding.

Gswp wrote:
- Pictures that are already in the data base (photos of the box cover) get approved all the time -- again, is the rules about "no duplicates" or "too similar" just not enforced? Should I be approving or rejecting such pictures?

It depends. Are they cover photos of the exact same edition? We want to have a box cover and box back for each individual version of each game. Even if it only has a different publisher logo, a different award logo, or a different print run number next to the bar code, we want that photo. "Similar" definitely doesn't apply there.
However, if it's the umptieth slightly angled and uncropped photo of the identical box cover of the first and only English edition on the kitchen table without a caption identifying it as a special version, then by all means do please decline it as similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for that detailed reply, that is really helpful!

I was definitely approving different language editions, so I was doing that right.

I will pay attention to the resolution of full-punchboard photos in the future (somehow I didn't see that rule in the description).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
My latest gripe is someone is data-mining Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, and other social media sites, lifting blurry photos of individuals, cropping and then posting them to the gallery for a designer or similar person -- without any approval from said person. They put a weak "should be fair use" in their info line, which, no, it isn't fair use to upload a picture you did not take, especially one you literally stole from someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Gswp wrote:
I was definitely approving different language editions, so I was doing that right.

Note that it's not just different language editions, but also different print runs for the same language.

Gswp wrote:
I will pay attention to the resolution of full-punchboard photos in the future (somehow I didn't see that rule in the description).

It's in the Guidelines under general rules:
Quote:
Scans and copy-photography images of flat materials, such as counter sheets and cards, may have a maximum resolution of 200ppi, or a maximum size of 1900 pixels on the long side, whichever is less.

Of course, since the geekmod redesign from a few years ago, we don't have a checkbox anymore to decline for that reason, so you have to make do with hitting a random different one ("too small" is frequently chosen for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wondered about the individual components too because a lot of those get approved, but I usually decline them.

I saw the chipboards today that you referenced and yeah, I would probably decline them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
- It says: No individual components, and yet I see lots of pictures

Some days it is, some day it's not. It really depends on who's behind the keyboard. It's extremely frustrating...

Gswp wrote:

You're expecting people to do some research before clicking a button?
Are you mad? whistle [/sarcasm]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
My latest gripe is someone is data-mining Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, and other social media sites, lifting blurry photos of individuals, cropping and then posting them to the gallery for a designer or similar person -- without any approval from said person. They put a weak "should be fair use" in their info line, which, no, it isn't fair use to upload a picture you did not take, especially one you literally stole from someone else.

Agreed. The caption is almost always something along the lines of "It seems like this type of photo is of fair use in the U.S.," implying that whoever is submitting them is also not from the U.S. (given the wording).

The phrasing actually sounds a lot like those people who say, "well, I found it on Google Image Search, so it must be public domain now, right?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.