Subject: Best time of year to sell collector's editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some high-value games I want to sell (e.g. original War of the Ring Collector's Edition, Settlers of Catan 3D Edition, Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition) either here and/or on eBay.

My question is; what's the best time of year to sell these to get the highest prices? Part of me thinks between now and Christmas since a lot of people are shopping for things, but on the other hand these are kind of pricey as a typical gift, and people might not want to spend non-gift money during that time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
you can look at the sales data here on BGG for each game such as for catan 3d...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/pricehistory/thing/...

and see if it goes up and down during particular months

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it likely doesn't matter. If someone wants something like that they will buy it.

If they love black friday november's bad. If they love spring vacations spring is bad. If they love conventions summer is bad. Their birthday could be anytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you could always just sell the wotr collectors edition to me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Early spring, when people start getting tax returns, can be a boost - they don't have to worry about spoiling Santa's Christmas surprise, and they have some cash in their pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cy Lee
msg tools
badge
Have you seen my candy cane. I seem to have misplaced it.
mbmbmbmbmb
The question you're asking simply has no correct answer, and any specific answer you receive will yield an opinion. I suggest putting it up for sale for whatever amount you wish to get, consider offers if they come, and be realistic. The value of a collector's item is determined by what a buyer will pay, not by what the collector wants to sell at. I see games that have been on the market for 9 years! Clearly they're overpriced. Don't be that person if you actually want to part with the items, so says the successful business woman. *smiles*

I wish you all the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that between now and New Year's is the best. People are thinking about spending money and having fun. Also people game more in the winter. Some people will have the time between Christmas and New Years off, and that's a great time to get a new game on the table.

Things start tapering off towards spring. Games tend to sell for less over summer, and August is absolutely the worst time to sell. Everyone is on holiday.

At the same time, something as expensive as WotR collector's edition isn't going to follow seasonality as much. Catan 3D and Puerto Rico I can see getting for a gaming S.O. as a gift. WotR not so much because of the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put them up *right now*.

For WotR in particular, I'd also consider GeekMailing people who "want" it in their profiles.

Every other collectible posts at Christmas. Sellers know that awesome gifts sell at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Briggs

LYNNWOOD
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmb
anytime is a good time to sell a game...the real key is pricing and shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AKWA_VQ wrote:
The question you're asking simply has no correct answer

I am sure that is not true.

wrote:
and any specific answer you receive will yield an opinion.

That is likely to be true, however one never knows who has studied a problem like this. Good for the OP to ask as there could be a significant variation in prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly sell games and I find the best time is between thanksgiving and Christmas. People get crazy bidding for things on ebay.

Another best time to sell a game is if it is Out of Print, before that... :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I have some high-value games I want to sell (e.g. original War of the Ring Collector's Edition, Settlers of Catan 3D Edition, Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition) either here and/or on eBay.

My question is; what's the best time of year to sell these to get the highest prices? Part of me thinks between now and Christmas since a lot of people are shopping for things, but on the other hand these are kind of pricey as a typical gift, and people might not want to spend non-gift money during that time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Put it on the marketplace. It’s about the right person seeing it and there is no specific time collectors are looking.

Throw a BGG auction, lots of collectors look there also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.