Popular Tags: [View All]
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I've only played the game once (and I cannot say what impact some of these tweaks might have further down the line, but I doubt any), here are some things that simply made sense early on:

Action/Defense token to be used in Combat Encounters. While by default they are meant for Skirmish only, I really don't see why they would not make sense in regular combat as well. After all it is a trade off and one that can enhance tactics of combat in a meaningful manner. So, at the start of players combat turn, they can select Attack/Defense side of a token and act accordingly. They can only flip it at the start of their NEXT turn, so whatever they pick will affect enemy turn as well.

One town visit per chapter per town. This stops potential town farming, especially later on where party has no problems dealing with road encounters. Since rest is restricted Once Per Chapter, it makes sense to limit town visits as well.

• Optional difficulty adjustment: free rest during town visit. Since previous rule restricts town visits, this easily fits there as well. This rest will not remove your once per chapter 'wilderness rest' option. If encounter happens in town during rest, you encounter Town Guard.

No encounter roll during Rest IF one of the characters in the party decides not to rest. Thematically this means that one character is the lookout/guard and does not heal nor gain power points back.

• If using Crafting and Recipes expansion, whenever you draw item cards you always can draw +1 and then discard +1. So if your ability says to draw 2 and pick 1 and discard 1, now you can draw 3, pick 1 and discard 2. This tweak easily (almost) fixes the Item deck dilution due to added cards.

Town Barter visit draws 5 cards per city size (so 5 to 15) and you can buy 1 of those cards per service visit, if you can and want. These cards are same for all characters that visit Bartering service during the single town visit, so you only draw once during the whole stay in the town (and you can buy 1 per visit to barter). This rule gives more variety for item purchases, since I see no reason to limit it to randomness of a single card, while still limiting how many item cards players can buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
I agree on most of those fixes.

Attack/defense token could easily be used during encounter and i doubt that impacts on further game play at all so yep nice suggestion

One town visit per chapter and town sounds good but if some stories force you to visit towns multiple times the story journal of course has precedence over this rule ;-)

But otherwise its a small and good limitation to mitigate using towns as healing pots. The free rest action sounds good but then i would also let it be limited by one rest per chapter so you also have the option to take your rest while in town without any skirmish penalty die roll.

The barter option i would do - if any - on 3 per character but with a new random draw for each character so after one player took his action i would simply reshuffle and next player gets to draw 3new cards. Five is a bit too much since slow character progression also counts on not running through this deck to fast. I for one came to the conclusion that even with recipes addon mixed in the item stack seems good as is.

But all in all nice and good suggestions to the game sounds pretty solid.

Cheers
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think the "barter" actually only limits to one card because if you could buy too many items it would make the game too easy. It seems really silly. I guess they couldn't think of a better way to limit the party's access to more powerful items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
Yeah I think the "barter" actually only limits to one card because if you could buy too many items it would make the game too easy. It seems really silly. I guess they couldn't think of a better way to limit the party's access to more powerful items.

Well, my variant says to draw 5 cards for the whole town visit, but just one card can be bought per service visit. So you cannot go through the deck fast. If another character also visits barter, they get to choose from the same 5 cards.

In fact I'd even modify this further, to draw 5 cards per city size, so 15 cards in size 3 city. Since you can only visit (per my variant) once per chapter, it means possibly seeing 30 cards at most if visiting ALL 3 towns. Item deck is huge, so you can't go through it that fast.

And you're still limited to buying 1 per visit. So even in 3 size town you can buy at most 3 cards (just like base rules), you simply have a wider variety of options.

I think this strongly helps with the luck of the draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:

I agree that this one needs to be considered carefully. After a few stories the characters have rolled a lot of d10's to loot the dead and potentially had a lot of town visits so they should have seen a reasonable number of item cards. If you make it 5 per player you are almost guaranteeing that everyone will be heavily armed after about three stories and the balance of the game could be affected. I'd have been tempted to say that it only takes one character to barter to allow all characters to draw and potentially buy one item card. This means that the rest of the party don't have to waste a town action but it doesn't alter the probabilities too much from the base game.

Some of the other suggestions also make other parts of the game redundant or effect the money economy. I don't have my rules in front of me but if I remember correctly if you have wood you can set a fire and don't need to make an encounter check when resting. You can also pay to stay at the inn in towns and effectively get a rest. The solution may therefore be to make it easier to get wood or have enough money to pay for the inn rather than to remove the colour these choices provide.

I see these decisions very much as something individual groups will need to call depending on what they want their experience to be like. At the moment I think we're quite enjoying the challenge of making the best of the difficult decisions around town and the lack of money. Rumours seem like an ideal way to generate lore, coin, and town visits making the existing economy run a little more easily for the players whilst limiting the need for rule changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

I agree that this one needs to be considered carefully. After a few stories the characters have rolled a lot of d10's to loot the dead and potentially had a lot of town visits so they should have seen a reasonable number of item cards. If you make it 5 per player you are almost guaranteeing that everyone will be heavily armed after about three stories and the balance of the game could be affected. I'd have been tempted to say that it only takes one character to barter to allow all characters to draw and potentially buy one item card. This means that the rest of the party don't have to waste a town action but it doesn't alter the probabilities too much from the base game.

Some of the other suggestions also make other parts of the game redundant or effect the money economy. I don't have my rules in front of me but if I remember correctly if you have wood you can set a fire and don't need to make an encounter check when resting. You can also pay to stay at the inn in towns and effectively get a rest. The solution may therefore be to make it easier to get wood or have enough money to pay for the inn rather than to remove the colour these choices provide.

I see these decisions very much as something individual groups will need to call depending on what they want their experience to be like. At the moment I think we're quite enjoying the challenge of making the best of the difficult decisions around town and the lack of money. Rumours seem like an ideal way to generate lore, coin, and town visits making the existing economy run a little more easily for the players whilst limiting the need for rule changes.

Was what I wrote so confusing? Because that's what I meant.

If 4 players visit a town (smallest town, limited to 1 service) and one player visits Barter, they draw 5 cards and are allowed to buy 1 of those cards. If they buy one of those cards, then the next player to visit the town that same town visit gets to only choose from the remaining 4 cards.

So if you visit town and at least one of the players visits Barter, then they draw 5 cards and that is the ONLY selection from barter for the WHOLE visit of the town no matter how many players visit it.

If you visit a large town that allows 3 services then you draw 15 cards, but that is also for the whole group regardless how many visit barter or not - but only those that visit barter get a chance to buy 1 of the cards of those 15.

So it isn't and was never intended to be 5 cards per character use of the service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Slashdoctor wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

Well, my variant says to draw 5 cards for the whole town visit, but just one card can be bought per service visit. So you cannot go through the deck fast. If another character also visits barter, they get to choose from the same 5 cards.

In fact I'd even modify this further, to draw 5 cards per city size, so 15 cards in size 3 city. Since you can only visit (per my variant) once per chapter, it means possibly seeing 30 cards at most if visiting ALL 3 towns. Item deck is huge, so you can't go through it that fast.

And you're still limited to buying 1 per visit. So even in 3 size town you can buy at most 3 cards (just like base rules), you simply have a wider variety of options.

I think this strongly helps with the luck of the draw.

This could be an awesome variant.

I like the way you think of it and i do feel this barter action could be easily adjusted for varying town size and it would be absolutely thematic. That being said i will instantly change my rules to that

- draw five choose one but no further card dealt for this action during small town visit
- draw 10 choose one for bigger towns
-draw15 choose one for biggest town

And town size declared through available amount of town services.

Thx for this very easy but yet very thematic solution of a "free market" town service barter action.

Could be pretty nice to have this variety of items to purchase from. Will try it out and report back if getting powerful items is made too easy through that variant.

Thx for sharing and all the best
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that example is exactly how my variant works. This also helps balance lower player counts, since lower player count sees less items in the wild.

As for powerful items, it isn't actually out of balance in towns, since you pay for them. It would be more imbalanced to find 50+ costing items for free and that's how the game works in wilderness.

So by increasing options in town is still limited by how much can be bought. I really don't see a downside to this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

Was what I wrote so confusing? Because that's what I meant.

Probably I just wasn’t reading closely enough whilst tying to catch up on the daily deluge of new Folklore posts blush

Interesting idea though....

The initial randomness of items makes for considerable variation in party strength. It’s hard to tell however at what point, even with all the randomness, every character will have had a few decent draws from the item deck and therefore a level of parity, on items at least, will prevail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things I'm considering:

- omitting the "roll to see if you get a skirmish" when resting. The game's already random enough and resting is limited to once per chapter anyway.

- omitting the "devastating strike/fault" rules when you roll a 1 or 100. Again, the game's already random enough.

- removing the loss of equipment and coins when the party dies. You already have the penalty of a Tarot card, having three penalties for dying seems excessive.

- omitting the "roll to determine skirmish strength" at the start of a skirmish. Instead, I would just set the skirmish counter based on the number of players (so, for three players, it starts at 3, and so on). I don't know why there has to be a dice roll for every freaking thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first suggestion is already in the game as an optional rule. We use it. It also adds to strategy and makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:
Your first suggestion is already in the game as an optional rule. We use it. It also adds to strategy and makes sense.

Actually it isn't. The variant says to skip a whole turn for +10 bonus. But just like in Skirmish, you can still ATTACK on your turn (with penalty) with my variant.

AND you can stack my variant WITH turn skipping variant to get +20 defensive bonus in case you really need to survive.

It notably increases tactical options considering that otherwise the only decision is about whom to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.