Subject: Navigation Research - unavoidable for most factions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anecdote:
I scored about 180 with Hadsch Halla in a 2p game without navigation. Used their power to make QIC from coins to fly around a few times.

We have seen that navigation is needed most of the time, but not always. Also it has not always been needed early, but we play mostly 2p so not sure our experience counts for much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Also it matters whether the +3 booster is in the game, especially in 2p since you then should get it at least twice if you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Stones wrote:
Anecdote:
I scored about 180 with Hadsch Halla in a 2p game without navigation. Used their power to make QIC from coins to fly around a few times.

We have seen that navigation is needed most of the time, but not always. Also it has not always been needed early, but we play mostly 2p so not sure our experience counts for much
My experience with 2p is quite limited, but I remember that it was easier to spread out with 2p since some sector may be "shielded" for quite a while from the other player, so it could have been good enough use a QIC resp. the range+3 booster to jump to the next cluster of planets, then colonize the whole cluster (you'd need upgraded terraforming for this), then jump to the next cluster. I'd guess this "build away from the opponent" strategy would work particularly well for the Hadsch Hallah as they are a faction which suffers less from expensive TS and little leech than most others, i.e. they'd win a war of deprivation. In this regard they may work well similarly to Swarmlings in 2p TM.

In 3p/4p, there rarely is something like a "safe planet to colonize later". Either you get there this round, or some other player may take it away from you. Thus range becomes more important to deal with the uncertainties of your opponents' strange expansion plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gaia Project is more subject to expansionist attack plans on planets than Terra Mystica is for hexes. However, Gaia is more forgiving in finding an alternative than Terra is when this happens to you.

NAV2 is generally a necessity for most factions in 3p and 4p, but it does depend more on your opponents' play style on when you need to upgrade to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
I think NAV is very faction dependent and useful at NAV 2 for most factions. Factions that want to rely on terraforming can skip NAV and use QIC and/or the NAV+3 Bonus to jump to planet clusters. This is even easier if you have one of your home planets in the cluster. Additionally, timing of the NAV upgrade often occurs later than one might expect even as late as rounds 3 or 4 for a lot of factions that prefer to build up before they build out. However if a wide strategy is what you are aiming for NAV 2 and higher are a necessity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Let's not overlook the Lost Planet and how it can be important for 4/6 of the endgame scoring conditions:

It counts as a different planet type.

It adds one structure for your faction...

Which you can easily add to an existing federation or use to create a new federation.

And with Nav4, you should have the range to place it in a sector you haven't colonized yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you may place it in such a way that you get to use more satelites!

The black planet is sweet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rousselle
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I have played about 10 games. Most of them were 4 player. At least 1 was a 3 player. In our games, we typically gave each player 1 faction board and let them pick a side. The idea was to learn the factions.

In games where I shot up the navigation track, I destroyed the opposition, once winning by 50 points. In the 1st 3 games, I reached the lost planet.

I decided to try to win without the navigation track. My results have been poor.

Soon we will be selecting our factions, so the navigation track may be less powerful. However, as of now, I consider the navigation track a requirement. A minimum of 2 navigation is essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
test tester
msg tools
DocCool wrote:
What's your view on the various research tracks? As I see it, all but one research tracks are situational, i.e. which one to pursue depends on faction, setup (distribution of tech tiles) and game plan.

What track you mean with "all but one research tracks"? Is there one who is not good? its a bit off topic, but dont want start a new post for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall the context correctly, they were saying that Navigation is essential for every faction in every game, while the usefulness of the other 5 tracks varies according to the game situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
ttester wrote:
DocCool wrote:
What's your view on the various research tracks? As I see it, all but one research tracks are situational, i.e. which one to pursue depends on faction, setup (distribution of tech tiles) and game plan.

What track you mean with "all but one research tracks"? Is there one who is not good? its a bit off topic, but dont want start a new post for that.
Let me extend that quote for you, as you left out the 2nd paragraph which answers your question: kiss
DocCool wrote:

This is different for Navigation: Of all research tracks, I consider Navigation to be the only one that is essential for most factions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Played a game last night where the Xenos player used QICs to get around and never researched Navigation or Gaiaforming. He lost both end game goals but still pulled out the win and made 3 Feds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1939607/which-faction-would...

Between picking the Bal Taks and having both the temporary NAV bonus tile and the QIC bonus tile, you probably don't need Nav in a setting like this. That said, Nav should be seen as a substitute to QIC if you are going to expand a lot and desirable planet clusters are within Nav 2 than navigation is a good track to move up on. However, if you are trying to get to planet clusters primarily within Nav3 and not Nav2 you are better off with the QIC track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |