mark treitel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
Played Legendary, beginner game. Does the game work better by ignoring the point system and just play cooperatively to defeat main villain? A friend told me to do that, (ignore the points) and just play higher level difficulty. He also said later expansions ignore the points and refocus the game to winning. Is this true? What is better expansions to get then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly yes.

As far as points for VP, it's nice to have the MVP award, so I do prefer the semi-coop if the match doesn't turn out to be too challenging, as a fall back. There's a polite disagreement between various regulars on the board as regards this point.

Interestingly, the latest big-box actually relies on VP for a major in-game mechanic! Piercing Energy looks at the VP of an enemy, and The Punisher, Doctor Punisher, Magik, Moon Knight, and Iron Man Noir also look at VP for certain card effects---but that isn't what you meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure co-op. The VP aren't a real measure of anything unless the players are really trying to stick it to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is also true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
We play for points and I wouldn't play it any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
short answer: If it works for you, go with it.

Some people prefer with it, others prefer without it.

It's just a matter of personal choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marktry wrote:
Played Legendary, beginner game. Does the game work better by ignoring the point system and just play cooperatively to defeat main villain? A friend told me to do that, (ignore the points) and just play higher level difficulty. He also said later expansions ignore the points and refocus the game to winning. Is this true? What is better expansions to get then?

That about the expansions isn't true at all. Certainly a lot of the later masterminded are much harder, but we play for points and it's still great.

Using points isn't complex, and it's up to the people how much they care. I'd just play it the standard way, with points. There's absolutely no problem with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Pretty much this. The lack of points is one of the many reasons why I dislike Encounters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Pretty much this. The lack of points is one of the many reasons why I dislike Encounters

Different strokes. Some people can't stand co-op games. My group is just the opposite. No way would we ever play this game for points. Which is why we really DO like Encounters because it offers more co-op options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Good
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game has points???
I thought that was just the pierce limit.
🤤

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you don't want to have individual point competition, then add everyone's VPs up together and see how your team did as a whole, and then compare that to the next time your team plays, and try to beat your scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marktry wrote:

Me and the wife (and anyone who play with us) only play full coop, we managed together or not!

For expansions go with Dark City and X-Men for big boxes.

As for the little ones Fantastic Four is a must have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marktry wrote:
He also said later expansions ignore the points and refocus the game to winning. Is this true?

No, that is not true. Some of the later expansion have harder Masterminds and Villains, but you can still play either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Sobel
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Different strokes. Some people can't stand co-op games. My group is just the opposite. No way would we ever play this game for points. Which is why we really DO like Encounters because it offers more co-op options.

Different strokes. Figure out what works for your play group and do that. One of the reasons I love it is because my co-op group plays without points, but when I play with my wife I'll happily crush her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark treitel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. Much appreciated. I played the original game as solo.I realized, that by not playing with points, I can play multiple hands (and not be limited by solo rules), if I ignore points, and play as pure co-op. I can then add as many hands as I'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark treitel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
But I have also realized, that certain heroes, e.g. Black Widow, whose cards are based on points, e.g. rescuing bystanders, or other cards, are not as useful, if I ignore points systems. So I need to figure out which heroes to play etc. Assuming the same thing will happen with certain villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marktry wrote:
But I have also realized, that certain heroes, e.g. Black Widow, whose cards are based on points, e.g. rescuing bystanders, or other cards, are not as useful, if I ignore points systems. So I need to figure out which heroes to play etc. Assuming the same thing will happen with certain villains.

You might want to check out the Golden Solo rules here. That's the way I play solo games and those rules make Bystanders IMPORTANT which is part of why I like the variant so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark treitel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. Will check out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marktry wrote:

Points with Black Widow are almost an afterthought if you buy one of her uncommons against a standard Mastermind who lets you attack him without restriction. In the regular leagues, I don't know if anyone has won a tournament without using her at least once.

I'd say your warning is good, but only for other Heroes who snag Bystanders without some "... and then I eat my Bystanders" mechanic, as Venom and Thanos have.

Speaking of Thanos, it's about time to post another commentary. Look for it on the forums during the afternoon tomorrow (Monday.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark treitel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
Good point. "In the regular leagues, I don't know if anyone has won a tournament without using her at least once. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark treitel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
Following up on that: Has anyone combined just the best CARDS of a hero, (e.g. Dice Masters) or are the heroes engine builders and you need to use the entire deck of heroes?

marktry wrote:
Good point. "In the regular leagues, I don't know if anyone has won a tournament without using her at least once. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to use whole decks. This way the game is properly balanced. Most heroes' decks have some better cards (usually the uncommons and the rares), but it is the synergy between a hero's cards that make this game fun. Example: Thanos has a rare that allows you to defeat a villain or mastermind for free. However, it is dependent on you koing a certain number of bystanders. By itself, it cannot do so. It is the rest of his cards that make his rare stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
You need to use whole decks. This way the game is properly balanced. Most heroes' decks have some better cards (usually the uncommons and the rares), but it is the synergy between a hero's cards that make this game fun. Example: Thanos has a rare that allows you to defeat a villain or mastermind for free. However, it is dependent on you koing a certain number of bystanders. By itself, it cannot do so. It is the rest of his cards that make his rare stand out.

Thanos' rare KOs 6 bystanders on it's own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Damn, that was my best example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I only play for points. It would be much less fun and dramatic for us without points. I recommend that you try it. Throw in some trash talk and gloat over your friends if you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |