Rayguns and Rocketships» Forums » Rules

Subject: REALLY confused about boarding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
It costs a token to open the airlock, either from each crew on an airlock space or the crew on the comtrol panel.

Does this happen before or after the “free move and fire” action? Can I open the airlock then make my free move in space? If I’m in space, can I spend the token, succeed on my boarding roll, then free move and fire after boarding?

Or does spending a token end your “free move and fire” action? If that's the case, boarding would take three tokens per figure, if you made the roll, right? Then more tokens to attack?

I can’t get my head around it. Any help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatbretguy wrote:
It costs a token to open the airlock, either from each crew on an airlock space or the crew on the comtrol panel.

Does this happen before or after the “free move and fire” action? Can I open the airlock then make my free move in space? If I’m in space, can I spend the token, succeed on my boarding roll, then free move and fire after boarding?

Or does spending a token end your “free move and fire” action? If that's the case, boarding would take three tokens per figure, if you made the roll, right? Then more tokens to attack?

I can’t get my head around it. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Bret,

It's pretty simple once you get your head around it. Allow me to illuminate:

A crew member that is standing in front of a rocketship's airlock has to open that big old airlock door by his/herself. To do this it costs that crew member 1 action token. Opening the door is not an attack move, so it is not a "free action" - which is why it requires the cost of an action token to open.*

Opening that airlock immediately sucks the crew member into space (have you ever seen the ending of Alien? Spoiler alert for a 40 year old movie!) - who is then deposited on to the Star Map - this happens automatically. I don't even classify it as a free action. And it definitely is not a move action.

Now all crew members inherently have a move action (move up to two spaces/star nodes) and can make 1 free attack move. Did the crew member use that attack to open the door? No. Did he use that move action to exit the rocketship? No. Therefore that crew member may still move and perform an attack.

However, if he wants to enter an enemy's rocketship, he must first move adjacent to the enemy's Rocketship (there is no "jumping from ship to ship" a crew member must first go into space before attempting a boarding action) - remember the crew member can move up to 2 star nodes/spaces.

Let's say this movement takes the crew member adjacent to an enemy's rocketship. He must then make a success attack (roll a 5-8) to enter the enemy's rocketship. If successful, place the miniature on any open airlock space inside the rocketship. This is a automatic move action, it does not count as movement.

However, now that our Planeteer friend is inside the enemy's rocketship, he must spend another action token to "re-energize" - to gain another move and attack action otherwise he'll have no way to fight or maneuver around!

I hope this clears things up!

*Don't forget, if a crew member is stationed at the control panel, they can launch every mini that is on an airlock into space for the cost of 1action token. It's a much more cost effective way to your your guys onto the Star Map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Airlocks, has there been an official clarification on this seeming contradiction:

"Crews may enter and exit their own rocketship via the airlocks on either side of the rocketship at the cost of 1 Action Token."

"NOTE: it costs nothing to exit an enemy's rocketship or enter your own rocketship."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for being on the boards. It helps.

I'm nearly there. My confusion comes from the phase being called "crew movement and combat" and my brain chunking "each crew member can move 2 spaces and gets one attack." Spending tokens comes later.

So, is the following an accurate description of the phase following ROCKETSHIP SHOOTING?

CREW ACTIONS
Each crew member (including the Captain) may take as many actions as they like, in any order, so long as they have the Action Tokens to pay for them. Note that each turn, each figure may take one MOVE ACTION (up to 2 spaces) and one ATTACK ACTION (ranged or melee) without spending tokens.

This assumes that the free move and the free attack can be split up, which would allow a figure to do the following:

1. Spend token to do a thing
2. Range attack for free
3. Spend token to do a thing
4. Move 2 spaces for free
5. Spend token to do a thing

If everything above is correct, then I get it. I'm very hopeful...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrZaat wrote:
Regarding Airlocks, has there been an official clarification on this seeming contradiction:

"Crews may enter and exit their own rocketship via the airlocks on either side of the rocketship at the cost of 1 Action Token."

"NOTE: it costs nothing to exit an enemy's rocketship or enter your own rocketship."

Yes. The official ruling is this:

Exiting your own airlock cost 1 action token

Entering your own rocketship is free

Entering an enemy's rocketship requires a successful attack

You can make up to four crew members exit the rocketship for the cost of 1 action token if a crew member is on the control panel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatbretguy wrote:
Thanks for being on the boards. It helps.

My pleasure.

thatbretguy wrote:
I'm nearly there. My confusion comes from the phase being called "crew movement and combat" and my brain chunking "each crew member can move 2 spaces and gets one attack." Spending tokens comes later.

Pick up a miniature. Any miniature. That little guy can move (up to) 2 spaces all by himself. He can also do an attack on an enemy miniature for "free" - you don't have to spend any action points to do it.

Now look at all of the miniatures on your crew. That means at the beginning of the game, you can move seven miniatures (including the captain) up to 2 spaces each. And (if there are any enemies to fight) they all can attack one target for free. When you "re-energize" them, it resets them back to that state.

thatbretguy wrote:
So, is the following an accurate description of the phase following ROCKETSHIP SHOOTING?

CREW ACTIONS
Each crew member (including the Captain) may take as many actions as they like, in any order, so long as they have the Action Tokens to pay for them. Note that each turn, each figure may take one MOVE ACTION (up to 2 spaces) and one ATTACK ACTION (ranged or melee) without spending tokens.

Almost. I would amend the above statement to say:

CREW ACTIONS
Each crew member (including the Captain) has a free move action in which they may move up to 2 spaces for free and a free attack action in which they may perform one attack (ranged or melee) for free.

They may also spend as many action tokens as they have for any of the following actions:

Extinguish 1 blast token
Heal the Captain 1 blast token
Attempt to open the hatch (requires a successful die roll)
Open the airlock
Activate the Control Panel to open all airlocks
Perform a special ability (see card for details)
Re-Energize a crew miniature (which resets the mini to have 1 move action and 1 attack)

thatbretguy wrote:
This assumes that the free move and the free attack can be split up, which would allow a figure to do the following:

1. Spend token to do a thing
2. Range attack for free
3. Spend token to do a thing
4. Move 2 spaces for free
5. Spend token to do a thing

Again, not quite right. Move actions and attack actions should be used before re-energizing otherwise they are lost. If I wanted to move a crew member across the board to fight an enemy (let's say the enemy is 6 spaces away) it would go like this:

1. Free movement action to move 2 spaces.
2. Spend 1 action token to re-energize. (gain 1 move action/1 attack action) I did not use the free attack action from the previous step, so it is lost. (attack actions do not stack)
3. Move the crew member 2 spaces.
4. Spend 1 action token to re-energize (gain 1 move action/1 attack action)- I did not use the attack action gained in the re-energization, so it is lost.
5. Move the crew member 2 spaces.
6. Now I am adjacent to the enemy. I use the attack action to roll an attack. If I am successful, I do 1 pt of damage - hopefully killing the enemy.
7. However, let's say I fail the die roll. I can spend 1 action token to re-energize the crew member (gaining 1 move action and 1 attack action) - and I use the attack action to roll again. I succeed! (hooray) - at this point I can still move my crew member up to 2 spaces because I still have an unused move action at this point.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
I wasn’t specific enough. I get what actions they can take. My confusion is about the order in which they are allowed to take them, as everything I see shows move/attack happening before other actions.

So, is this a legal move?

I have five tokens and the figure in question is adjacent to two blast markers and 2 spaces from an airlock. My ship is adjacent to the enemy ship. On the enemy ship, there is an empty airlock space with an enemy crew member 2 spaces away and the enemy captain adjacent. My crew figure does the following:

1. spend token to remove blast marker
2. spend token to remove other blast marker
2. move 2 spaces to airlock (free)
3. spend token to open airlock, land on star adjacent to enemy ship
4. spend token to board (roll succeeds, now on enemy airlock space)
5. make ranged attack on enemy crew two spaces away (free)
6. spend token to make melee attack on adjacent enemy captain

If that’s all legal, I get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott, I probably won't be able play for some time as a new father, but after a couple weeks, I'd love to see a concise FAQ that covers the most community's most common questions.

I appreciate how active you are in the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatbretguy wrote:
I wasn’t specific enough. I get what actions they can take. My confusion is about the order in which they are allowed to take them, as everything I see shows move/attack happening before other actions.

I have five tokens and the figure in question is adjacent to two blast markers and 2 spaces from an airlock. My ship is adjacent to the enemy ship. On the enemy ship, there is an empty airlock space with an enemy crew member 2 spaces away and the enemy captain adjacent. My crew figure does the following:

Hi Brett,

Not quite - my understanding is that your free move and free attack are not two separate actions, they are a single free "move-attack" action. That means that you cannot take the free move portion and then "bank" the free attack for later - you must use it by the end of the action or lose it.

So your sequence would look more like:
1. Spend token to remove blast marker
2. Spend token to remove other blast marker
3. Move 2 spaces to airlock (free, forfeiting attack since you didn't use it)
4. Spend token to open airlock, land on star map adjacent to enemy ship
5. Spend token to board (roll succeeds, now on enemy airlock space)
6. Spend token to get a new move-attack action. This can be used either to melee attack the adjacent captain, or to ranged attack enemy crew two spaces away (assuming the captain isn't blocking line of sight).
7. You still have 2 points of movement left over from your latest move-attack action, so you can move if you want. Alternately, you can bail out the airlock as a free action, since it costs nothing to leave an enemy ship.*

*Actually, here's a question for Scott - is bailing out an enemy airlock, despite being a "free" action, still separate from the move portion of the move-attack action? Or do I use my movement points to "move" out the enemy airlock? In other words, if I decide to leave the enemy airlock in this situation, do I spend one movement point to "move" out of the airlock and then move up to one more space on the star map? Or do instead forfeit the rest of my "move" action, and then take a separate free action to activate the enemy airlock (placing me outside, but with no further movement points)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatbretguy wrote:

The above poster is mostly correct. You would be using the free attack on the rocketship to enter. Then you would re-energize to shoot and re-energize again to melee.

So the sequence would be:

3. Spend token to open airlock, land on star adjacent to enemy ship
4. Attack (free) to board (roll succeeds, now on enemy airlock space)
5. Spend token to re-energize, make ranged attack on enemy crew two spaces away
6. Spend token to re-energize and make melee attack on adjacent enemy captain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Hi Scott, I probably won't be able play for some time as a new father, but after a couple weeks, I'd love to see a concise FAQ that covers the most community's most common questions.

I appreciate how active you are in the community.

Congratulations on the new eventual gaming partner!

Let me have a think about making an FAQ. Right now everyone's questions are pretty specific and, surprising, not very frequent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Scott Rogers wrote:
So the sequence would be:

3. Spend token to open airlock, land on star adjacent to enemy ship
4. Attack (free) to board (roll succeeds, now on enemy airlock space)
5. Spend token to re-energize, make ranged attack on enemy crew two spaces away
6. Spend token to re-energize and make melee attack on adjacent enemy captain

So the free move and the free attack don't have to be connected. Excellent!

Here's two more that came up regarding boarding:

1. Since boarding is an attack roll, does that mean you can apply modifiers like "Trigger Happy" to it?

2. If my crew is on an enemy's control panel, I know I can spend a token to jettison any of his figures unlucky enough to be on an airlock space. Does it work the other way? That is, can I open the airlocks to let my boarding party enter the enemy ship without rolling? The doors ARE open...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatbretguy wrote:

So the free move and the free attack don't have to be connected. Excellent!

I wouldn't carry that idea too far. As far as I can tell, the only things that can come between a Crew Move and a Crew Attack is Exiting/Entering an Airlock. That's because they are free [non-] Actions, automatically occurring when you open an Airlock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Waiting and seeing, I guess. I had the crew member spend a token to open the airlock between the move and the fire to see if those could be split.

Just to be extra sure about order of operations, if Mr. Rogers says the following move is all legal, we'll know for certain:

I have five tokens and the figure in question is 2 spaces from an airlock space and adjacent to a blast marker. The airlock space is adjacent to my wounded Captain. My ship is adjacent to the enemy ship. On the enemy ship, there is an empty airlock space with an enemy crew member 2 spaces away and the enemy captain adjacent. My crew figure does the following:

3. spend token to Heal the Captain
4. spend token to open airlock, land on star adjacent to enemy ship
5. attack (free) to board (roll succeeds, now on enemy airlock space)
6. spend token to re-energize, make ranged attack on enemy crew two spaces away
7. spend token to re-energize and make melee attack on adjacent enemy captain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.