Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Guam: Return to Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Direct fire Japanese Artillery exempt from restrictions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Kondon
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Naval direct fire (white fp) artillery exempt from all of the Rule 27.0 restrictions? That is...

1) They can be fired by spending Direct Command points in any activation.

2) If they flip to Column side, they can flip back to Deployed side later, and shoot normally.


As a related question, can artillery units, in general, after routing, be deployed again? (There has been some argument about how routing causes the equipment to be abandoned, with no replacements.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul...here you go:

Quote:
Are the Naval direct fire (white fp) artillery exempt from all of the Rule 27.0 restrictions? That is...

1) They can be fired by spending Direct Command points in any activation.

2) If they flip to Column side, they can flip back to Deployed side later, and shoot normally.



27.0 specifically states this does not apply to Direct Fire weapons. That said, there is a conflict with a previous rule (the third bullet, does appear to conflict with 8.7 regarding flipping to column and going back again. 8.7 is correct here - all Japanese units with those specific symbols cannot return to deployed if they go into column.

So no to 1 (27.0 does not apply to direct fire weapons) but also no to 2 (8.7 taking precedence here).

Quote:
As a related question, can artillery units, in general, after routing, be deployed again? (There has been some argument about how routing causes the equipment to be abandoned, with no replacements.)


You could house rule it if you want (which I would be fine with) but there is what I call a "cascading rule" problem to add to the RAW. Your call.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kondon
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
Hi Paul...here you go:

Quote:
Are the Naval direct fire (white fp) artillery exempt from all of the Rule 27.0 restrictions? That is...

1) They can be fired by spending Direct Command points in any activation.

2) If they flip to Column side, they can flip back to Deployed side later, and shoot normally.



27.0 specifically states this does not apply to Direct Fire weapons. That said, there is a conflict with a previous rule (the third bullet, does appear to conflict with 8.7 regarding flipping to column and going back again. 8.7 is correct here - all Japanese units with those specific symbols cannot return to deployed if they go into column.

So no to 1 (27.0 does not apply to direct fire weapons) but also no to 2 (8.7 taking precedence here).

Quote:
As a related question, can artillery units, in general, after routing, be deployed again? (There has been some argument about how routing causes the equipment to be abandoned, with no replacements.)


You could house rule it if you want (which I would be fine with) but there is what I call a "cascading rule" problem to add to the RAW. Your call.


Sorry, still not totally clear. Are you saying there is no exemption for any Japanese artillery, direct fire or not, and the indirect reference isn't that important? No Japanese artillery can go back to deployed once in column, and no Japanese artillery can be fired using Direct Commands? That's poorly worded. The symbol reference isn't as helpful as it sounds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not following you...

If they have that symbol on the counter (as in the rules) the rule applies to them. Indirect or not isn't relevant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kondon
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
I'm not following you...

If they have that symbol on the counter (as in the rules) the rule applies to them. Indirect or not isn't relevant.


That's the point. The "Direct Fire units with this symbol have no additional restrictions" isn't relevant. And very confusing.

Turns out they DO have restrictions. Same as the indirect fire units.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry you are confused...the no additional restrictions means that those restrictions listed in 27.0 don't apply to direct fire weapons that also suffer from 8.7. However, as I mentioned, there is one restriction that does apply to both types of weapons - the third bullet. We'll try and get the wording better for you on the next game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.