7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a game with character progression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Qwerty Something
msg tools
Hello Boardgamers
I want to wish for a game for christmas, but I'm unsure which to pickup.
What I'm looking for is a game with character progression in it, maybe through a campaign of sorts. It's for solo play and 2 players.
I've tryied to take a look at Descent with the app, but it's straight up dungeon crawling. I've also looked at Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game, however I don't plan on spending a lot on expansions. Some people talk about Mage Knight, but people also say it plays more like a puzzle. Gloomhaven is the same and it's also out of price range and not in retail.
Do you have any suggestions for a game with character progression?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rees
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking for something similar recently, and I’m currently eyeing up Shadowrun: Crossfire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you check out Star Wars: Imperial Assault, which is not just dungeon-crawling, and the app is bound to be coming out soon (reported to be in playtesting in FFG's In Flight Report during GenCon50), hopefully for Christmas. May well be the next news we get for Imperial Assault anyway.

Currently there's RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant (RAIV) V1 - Under new management for solo play. I have also played a number of missions "two-handed" solo, so it's an option.

In addition to 2-5-player campaign mode, Imperial Assault also has a 2-player skirmish mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Emiliow wrote:
I've also looked at Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game, however I don't plan on spending a lot on expansions.

What exactly turns you off about the expansions? PACG base set is 500 cards for 50$ (and probably can be bought cheaper in the holiday season). There is a lot of game in the base set - 9 scenarios to go through and if you will be playing solo and 2 player game, then you will likely have 2 campaigns running in parallel with different set of heroes. I am playing by myself and with a friend and solo have done 2 playthroughs of basic set, so 25+ game sessions for 50 bucks... Expansions are 15$ each and again add another 6ish scenarios to go through. You don’t need to buy them right away, but can get few in several months or a year from now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun: Crossfire or Dragonfire

Near and Far has some but might not be what you are looking for. (plays great with 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkrees wrote:
I have been looking for something similar recently, and I’m currently eyeing up Shadowrun: Crossfire

Very good game. The new "version" (Dragonfire) should be out soon.

Just a word of warning: Don't expect too much "character progression". It is there, but it is veeeery slow.

However, during the game, you get quite a bit better by the deckbuilding mechanisms. But you do reset your deck back to the starting level when you start the next mission. What you keep is experience you gain, which gives you advances every now and then, that you can accumulate. But again, these take a while to get and are only very small improvements. They are noticable, but it's nowhere near like what you have in terms of character progression in games like Descent.

That being said, I can still wholeheartedly recommend the game, if the game system looks interesting to you (best look into the videos on youtube the designers have made, they show the gameplay nicely). It is a very cool game with lots of cooperation between team-mates (or characters, if you play multiple characters solo, which you should... most likely two).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Temple of Elemental Evil? There's some character levelling up...

Also as you progress through Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle, your characters get more innate powers as well as whatever the cards show in their deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.