Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikołaj Gwóźdź
Poland
Tychy
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I like Panzer system but I think the maps are just ugly and make the game dry. Recently I bought another WWII game - Old School Tactical and the counters of tanks there are exactly the same size as Panzer ones. OST has beautiful maps (especially the winter one).

I wonder how the OST maps would work for Panzer game. Has anyone tried it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the scale of those maps? 100m Hex? 50m?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Gwóźdź
Poland
Tychy
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eduardoh wrote:
What's the scale of those maps? 100m Hex? 50m?

50m, but can be treated as 100m (Panzer scale) in my opinion. Buildings look slightly oversized then, but not much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it!

I used Panzer rules with Fighting Formation maps, TCS (only in Vassal, as the hexes are too small) and ASL. For ASL maps I made some small changes, like doubling all things related to ranges (spotting and shooting) and terrain works as in ASL, where the actual drawing blocks LOS, and not the whole hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Gwóźdź
Poland
Tychy
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely try to play some scenarios from the Panzer base box.

For now I'm still playing through OST scenarios which, I have to admit, are quick and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lohr
United States
Stoystown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So the ASL maps can work for Panzer??

Wow- that's huge for me. I have all of the Panzer system but really struggle to get it to the table because of the very bland maps.

I grew up on Squad Leader and expansions, then graduated to ASL - always loved those map boards!

Any other bits of advice you can share about playing the Panzer series on the ASL maps?

Thanks for opening my eyes on this. No idea why I never considered this before...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the top of my head I did the following modifications (I don't actually think they are all necessary, they were all just tests):

-All things related to range were doubled (so, if you can spot 4 hexes in Panzer, you get to spot at 8 hexes on ASL boards. Same for shooting).
-All infantry get 1 extra move point. They also can Force March at any terrain.
-The actual drawing is used for LOS, not the whole hex, as in Panzer.
-Hindrances. They add a -5GP and -1AP modifier per hex the LOS crosses. This one I'm on the fence about, I think it would be better to add a Spotting modifier, maybe.

I guess that was it. Some terrains I 'converted' as they appear on the boards and are used by any side, but kept everything fairly simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing stopping you from using other maps - go ahead and have fun!

The only draw-back to the idea of using Squad-Leader/Advanced-Squad-Leader maps is that **if** you're going to use Panzer counters, the hexes may be too small. You could easily just substitute ASL counters for the Panzer counters and use the Panzer rules, etc.

-N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lock N Load Tactical Maps work great too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.