Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurizio Moretti
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if a monster will die for a trap he should walk through (cause there are no other path to his focus)?
So monster are stupid because it will die before he can attack an hero or it will stop his move before entering that tile (preventing his premature death)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No other path exists to satisfy its focus ... the stupid monster will kill itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmer Sivertsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And also, if there are monsters/players in its only path to the focus, it will wait in line instead of walking into a trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Jimmer wrote:
And also, if there are monsters/players in its only path to the focus, it will wait in line instead of walking into a trap.

Are you sure about that? I don't think it is correct. Surely not correct for player characters since they are considered obstacles. And other monsters wouldn't be "in the way" since they don't block. You're correct, if the monster's movement only lasts until a hex occupied by another monster but it could eventually reach a hex from which to attack the target by going that way. But if all hexes from which it could attack and that could be reached without walking into the trap are occupied by other monsters I don't think it will wait but instead walk into the trap to try and attack earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
Jimmer wrote:

This is correct and something I've seen many intuitively not follow, if the path is blocked by allies (not enough move to pass theough into an empty hex) they will incorrectly force the monster through the trap because they feel it should "do something" instead of wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
perer005 wrote:
Jimmer wrote:

This is correct and something I've seen many intuitively not follow, if the path is blocked by allies (not enough move to pass theough into an empty hex) they will incorrectly force the monster through the trap because they feel it should "do something" instead of wait.

I agree with what you just wrote but not with what you quoted (see above). What do you think about what I wrote above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Lando
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
therobbot wrote:
Are you sure about that? I don't think it is correct. Surely not correct for player characters since they are considered obstacles. And other monsters wouldn't be "in the way" since they don't block. You're correct, if the monster's movement only lasts until a hex occupied by another monster but it could eventually reach a hex from which to attack the target by going that way. But if all hexes from which it could attack and that could be reached without walking into the trap are occupied by other monsters I don't think it will wait but instead walk into the trap to try and attack earlier.

Here's a handy set of information and a flowchart approved by Isaac
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1745116/monster-focus-and-m...

Refer to #3: "Monsters determine their paths as if they have infinite movement", so they won't determine a different path that gets them part way there by going around other monsters. The monsters will plan their path through other monsters if that is the path that requires the least movement, they'll stop behind other monsters if they don't have enough movement to move through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
skevoid wrote:
therobbot wrote:

Here's a handy set of information and a flowchart approved by Isaac
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1745116/monster-focus-and-m...

Refer to #3: "Monsters determine their paths as if they have infinite movement", so they won't determine a different path that gets them part way there by going around other monsters. The monsters will plan their path through other monsters if that is the path that requires the least movement, they'll stop behind other monsters if they don't have enough movement to move through.

Unfortunately it seems you all don't read what I wrote since I completely agree with what you wrote. The points where I don't agree with the original quote by Jimmer are:

- monsters won't wait in line when player characters block (eg invisible player characters), since player characters are considered obstacles. So if the only paths to a hey from which they can attack their target either go through hexes occupied by player characters or through traps, they will walk through the trap.

- other monsters don't block, that is correct. But still there can be situations when monsters still won't wait in line. Consider the case where there are only two possible hexes, A and B, from which a monster can attack their target. Hex A is occupoed by another monster. Hex B can't be reached by going through hex A. Hex B can only be reached by going through a trap or the trap is on hex B. I'm my opinion the monster won't wait in line behind the other monster but will try to reach hex B by passing through the trap.

To summarize: in my opinion, the *only* time that monsters wait in line is if the shortest path to a hex from which they could attack this round (given infinite movement) is occupied by other monsters and it doesn't have enough movement to pass through in this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.