Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars» Forums » General

Subject: How long and is this for me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of Ancient Greece. I read a bit of Aristophanes and the theme in general I find horridly underrepresented in video and board games.

Having said that, a friend that owns it and played a few games didn't recommend it. He actually recommended skipping it altogether, noting I'll probably never find people to play with and due to the 6-8 hours a session may last (BGG claims 45-360 minutes???).

I own and am a fan of Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
I am a huge fan of Ancient Greece. I read a bit of Aristophanes and the theme in general I find horridly underrepresented in video and board games.

Having said that, a friend that owns it and played a few games didn't recommend it. He actually recommended skipping it altogether, noting I'll probably never find people to play with and due to the 6-8 hours a session may last (BGG claims 45-360 minutes???).

Only the Campaign scenario takes that long many competitive 1 and 2 turn scenarios at the under two hour timeframe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Sargeras777 wrote:

I am in a similar situation in that finding 3 other players is proving very difficult. I played the game a few times when it first came out and can understand why some do not like it. I, however, love the game & consider it possibly the most elegant strategic game I know. It is, in my opinion, a thinking person's game & rewards those who can appreciate the subtleties within. Even if I never find opponents, the game makes for an interesting take on the history of the Peloponnesian Wars which may well complement other study of the Golden Age in Athens & its eventual and sad end.

The game will take a while & a bit of effort to learn. Then one needs to learn how to place issues effectively. Then one needs to learn how to play elegantly & be able to wrap one's mind about the way interactions between Athens & Sparta play out. The game rewards deep study of itself.

While there are smaller scenarios I personally feel it's best to begin at the beginning, since the number of pieces on the board is quite limited. The later scenarios, in my opinion, can lead to frustration with the sheer number of pieces on the board & possibilities until a deep understanding of the rules and gameplay is attained.

This game, more than any other, has inspired me to learn more about the history behind the game.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Luminati
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost exclusively solo, and while it has definitely taken an investment of time to get to the point where I'm thinking about the "game" as opposed to the "rules" it was well worth the investment. I personally enjoyed playing through the longer scenarios by playing one turn every evening or two. Ideally, I would love to play with more, as I can see the interactions would be even better, but that's not really practical for me.

Although I don't have a tremendous amount of wargamming experience, the game's strategies do a good job of illuminating the thematic lessons of the conflict (Kegan's and Hanson's books were great reading companions as I learned the rules). For me, that's what makes the game worthwhile. I had fun, was challenged, and felt like I had a better understanding of events and times it depicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero Feltrinelli
Italy
Roma
Rome
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

This. Can't agree more, the game is a lovely companion also in solitary storytelling and history analysis alone. It really give the taste of the period, and even if you are only gonna play it with Vassal, is 110% worth it whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fisher
United States
Rochester
New York (NY)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased, and am sitting here staring at this game, still in its shrink wrap. I admit that I am a bit intimidated by its complexity rating, yet fascinated by the design. The comments on this thread make me think of how learning chess was for me back in the day. Now, at age 65, I don't have the memory retention I once had, but will probably yield to temptation soon though, as my current solo game of Churchill will soon be ending. I would also like to say hats off to Mark Herman for his awesome game designing skills. I will be looking forward also to what I heard was his next installment, "Versailles."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justdoit wrote:
I just purchased, and am sitting here staring at this game, still in its shrink wrap. I admit that I am a bit intimidated by its complexity rating, yet fascinated by the design. The comments on this thread make me think of how learning chess was for me back in the day. Now, at age 65, I don't have the memory retention I once had, but will probably yield to temptation soon though, as my current solo game of Churchill will soon be ending. I would also like to say hats off to Mark Herman for his awesome game designing skills. I will be looking forward also to what I heard was his next installment, "Versailles."

The game comes with a programmed learning approach included.

The complexity is in the strategy. However I gave you just about every strategy in a matrix. In your first games treat it like a menu until you feel more conversant with the systems.

Thanks for the support.
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
justdoit wrote:

Scott: I had similar concerns as well (I hit 60 by end of year). My memory isn’t what it used to be but my interest for intriguing designs continues. (I’m a big fan of Rachel Simmons’ work too.)

The programmed learning in Pericles works very well to walk you through the various mechanisms individually so you’re not met with everything at once. While I’m still learning the solo system with the Phormio nonplayer engine, each time I try it I get more familiar and get an idea or two of what to try in a live game. The materials provided are helpful as well.

So, I recommend cracking that wrapping and start walking through a great design. 🙂
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fisher
United States
Rochester
New York (NY)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borz wrote:
justdoit wrote:

Scott: I had similar concerns as well (I hit 60 by end of year). My memory isn’t what it used to be but my interest for intriguing designs continues. (I’m a big fan of Rachel Simmons’ work too.)

The programmed learning in Pericles works very well to walk you through the various mechanisms individually so you’re not met with everything at once. While I’m still learning the solo system with the Phormio nonplayer engine, each time I try it I get more familiar and get an idea or two of what to try in a live game. The materials provided are helpful as well.

So, I recommend cracking that wrapping and start walking through a great design. 🙂

You know, I think I will. By the way, who is Rachel Simmons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachel Simmons designed Guns of Gettysburg and Napoleon's Triumph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newobj wrote:
Rachel Simmons designed Guns of Gettysburg and Napoleon's Triumph.

Scott: Last heard, she is also redesigning an earlier game, Bonapart at Marengo. These are block games in so far as the pieces are blocks of wood but the mechanisms are her own. Very engaging (for me, anyway).

So, with Mark Herman, thoughtful designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.