Hide
7 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: I just can not work out how items work... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Giant Inconvenience of Planet X
msg tools
Can anyone reword the rules on items and stacks and stuff.. I have no idea what the rule book is trying to say?

You play cards into a stack, and then combine cards ontop them... but even if you replace the entire item the durability stays the same unless on a combination they share a trait..... . . you need materials to make them and combine them but you actually do not really need them... ? ?

I'm just really confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost to build an item is on the upper left next to the wrench icon. If you're on a location or have access to the matrials listed you get a discount on the cost.

The picture on your satchel shows you how many items you can stack. This stacking helps alleviate the max hand size and item count. If you stack an item with the same keyword as the original item it increases the overall item's usage by the newly stacked item's pip value.

I like to slide them underneath when stacking so you always see the keywords on the main item

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an item in your hand you can think of it like an idea. You need to build it, and it takes effort. This is represented by drawing cards from the action deck. However if there is a material present on the terrain tile that you're on, this reduces the number of cards you need to draw - potentially to zero.

So for example if you have a Rudimentary Flint in your hand you can take an action requiring drawing one card to build it. However if you have stone on your terrain the amount of cards you need to draw is reduced by 1 (as shown by the -1 on a blue diamond underneath a stone on the Flint card), meaning you don't need to draw any cards to build it.

Having built it, you either create a new item, consisting of just the flint, or add it to an existing item. In the first case you place a die with one pip showing at the top. If you wish to add it to an existing item then you will only change the pip of the die on the existing item if the existing item has the same keyword as the flint - in this case it would need to have the keyword aggressiveness.

If you use an item you will reduce the pip on its dice by one - and using it allows you to access any/all of the powers on any of the cards that make up the item. There are a few specific cards that say that using them will not reduce the durability of them item, but this is more rare.

Hope that helps. I imagine watching one of the videos might make it more clear. I thought the one released by Serious Poulp was pretty good and clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may craft items at any time paying it's full cost in cards you need to draw.

If you are on a tile that has certain Ressources you would need for a certain item to craft, you simply get the discount as show on the item you are crafting.

You may combine any items up to the stack limit as show on the satchel card respecting the player count.

If items share a keyword you may also add the durability of the added item to the main items durability. You do not replace the main item.

Hope that helped. Let me know if you need it to be rephrase d ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a fan FAQ here at the BGG site that has a few pages on items. This is confusing to a lot of people (at first). But, because of this, there is a lot that has already been written to help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Giant Inconvenience of Planet X
msg tools
where is this FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GasPumpGirl wrote:
where is this FAQ?

There is this one:

Easy to forget rules and FAQ (spoiler free)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.