Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Example: British player plays a campaign card and chooses to activate one land leader with several units and one naval leader with a number of ships. The American player happens to have two reaction cards in his hand, "Heavy Rains" and "Contrary Winds". The British player first activates his land leader but the American player plays Heavy Rains to spoil the British player's planned land move. The British player then activates his naval leader to move his fleet to the Lake Control box. Can the American player play his Contrary Winds reaction card at this point to also cancel the British player's planned naval move and thereby essentially ruin the British player's campaign card.

Basically, can a player play two reaction cards from his hand to negate both moves of the opponent's campaign card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
No, only one card can be used. This is discussed in the third example after rule 8.31. In fact, it is the exact example you quoted.

A Heavy Rains card and the Contrary Winds card can
be used to cancel the move of only one force, not two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlegion wrote:
No, only one card can be used. This is discussed in the third example after rule 8.31. In fact, it is the exact example you quoted.

A Heavy Rains card and the Contrary Winds card can
be used to cancel the move of only one force, not two.

Excellent! Thanks for the answer. It's a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you, Leo. We have had a good turn out for the game at the World Board Gaming (WBC) in PA. since 2013. Dave runs a very efficient tournament and we are. Ow seeing some new and innovative strategies. I'm glad you liked the game.

I'm working on a point to point game on the "American Revolution" right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gilbert,

I played Mr. Madison's War last night for the first time, although I've owned it for several years. My gaming buddy and I really enjoyed the game and we're looking forward to a replay soon. We played using his game that he purchased on P500 and it was unpunched, so it has taken us a while to get into it, but we're very happy that we've now played it!

I saw in the post above that you are working on a point to point American Revolution game, and I'm curious to know how that is coming along? It will likely be a must-buy for me!

All the best,
Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hello Jan

I have 'started and stopped' this American Revolution game several times. presently it is in 'stop' mode. I will get back to it but it is turning out to be more difficult to get it the way I want. I've played many a American Revolution game and I see that they don't get it 'quite right' either. It is a very difficult subject to game.

I don't want to release a game that isn't ready, nor offer it to a publisher unless I'm 100% satisfied, so it is an ongoing project.

When the time comes, I will pitch it to GMT and it will go on the P500.

Also the 'timing' is not the best with GMT having produced "Liberty or Death". A game that sold out but in my opinion is a zero as a simulation of the actual American Revolution. It is way to 'Euro' to be a serious simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gilbert,

Thanks very much for the update! The American Revolution is one of my favorite topics and I've played a lot of different games on the it. I agree with you that it is a difficult subject, and there is definitely room for another game on it. I've played a friend's copy of Liberty or Death and enjoyed it as a game, but I would really like to see more of a simulation. I also own Washington's War and really enjoy it, but again there is room for another game, especially one that leans heavily toward the simulation end of the scale.

When the time comes for P500 for your game, I'll be the first one in line! And I'll likely order two copies, my brother also enjoys American Revolution games!

All the best,
Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.