Subject: Which designer should I try next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

Like many people on here I like analysing my collection in different ways and also planning my next purchases in different ways. For example, I have sometimes looked at which mechanic(s) I like the most and bought a game on that basis (e.g. I bought Akrotori as I wanted a 2 player, tile laying, shortish game). Other times I have bought something to fill a gap in my collection, e.g. for while I was short on party games we could play with non-gamers (solved with Saboteur and Citadels).

Today I started looking at my collection in terms of the game designers. Although my collection is small by this community's standards I have unwittingly managed to collect games by a number of the big name designers, (e.g. Uwe Rosenberg, Reiner Knizia, Stefan Feld, Richard Garfield, Bruno Cathala). I guess this is because their games receive a lot of attention.

Anyway, if I think about my favourite games I'd say my favourite designers are: Stefan Feld, Bruno Cathala and Alexander Pfister.

In light of the above, which designer do you think I should look at next?

Many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lemagnifique

St-Alexandre
Quebec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all designer you named here...

there is 2 name I'ld like to mention :
Vital Lacerda (CO2, Vinhos, The Gallerist, Lisboa)

or if you like a little bit "lighter" :
Simone Luciani (Tzolk'in, Lorenzo Il Magnifico, Marco Polo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
kgcamb7 wrote:
Hi all,

Like many people on here I like analysing my collection in different ways and also planning my next purchases in different ways. For example, I have sometimes looked at which mechanic(s) I like the most and bought a game on that basis (e.g. I bought Akrotori as I wanted a 2 player, tile laying, shortish game). Other times I have bought something to fill a gap in my collection, e.g. for while I was short on party games we could play with non-gamers (solved with Saboteur and Citadels).

Today I started looking at my collection in terms of the game designers. Although my collection is small by this community's standards I have unwittingly managed to collect games by a number of the big name designers, (e.g. Uwe Rosenberg, Reiner Knizia, Stefan Feld, Richard Garfield, Bruno Cathala). I guess this is because their games receive a lot of attention.

Anyway, if I think about my favourite games I'd say my favourite designers are: Stefan Feld, Bruno Cathala and Alexander Pfister.

In light of the above, which designer do you think I should look at next?

Many thanks

Wolfgang Kramer
Classic euro games with elegant, interlocking mechanisms in the style of Feld and Knizia at his greatest.
Particularly
-El Grande
-Tikal
-Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India
-The Princes of Florence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vlaada Chvátil

If nothing else, he covers a wide range of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
I think Matthias Cramer is very well worth a look.

Rococo
Lancaster
Kraftwagen
Glen More
Dynasties: Heirate & Herrsche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your taste is similar to mine and my game group's.

+1 Simone Luciani. He designed several of the most-liked games in my group in the last couple of years:

Lorenzo il Magnifico
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Grand Austria Hotel

And +1 Wolfgang Kramer.

(Edit to add +1s.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wolfgang Kramer and Michael Kiesling
Mac Gerdts
Chad Jensen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all. I have a couple of games by one or two of the designers mentioned on my radar so that is reassuring. I look forward to checking out the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Grieve
Canada
Salmon Arm
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the recommendations and I would strongly add Jamey Stegmaier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.