Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, hoping to get some guidance here.

I'm overwhelmed by what's in this box and have no idea where to start. I've punched all the pieces and somehow managed to bag everything and I'm now trying to decide how to tackle the learning and playing of this game.

I am thinking of playing solo, purely because it is the only way I see ever getting through campaign play... But even there, how should I start? With one character? 2? 4?

And how do you recommend learning the game? Should I learn some aspects and start playing or try to learn everything before diving in? I'm excited about getting started, but also more than a little daunted by it too.

Some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
start with watching Paul Grogans' videos at the URL listed on the rule book cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laerfan wrote:
With one character? 2? 4?

Matt's suggestion is a good place to start. But just to point out that you always have to use 2-4 characters, even when playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really a simple game to play. Exceptions and such make it a bit more challenging, but it is a simple game to learn for as deep as it is.

I can only tell you that it works well for me to play with two during a solo game. I've never played with more or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Baker
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that Paul Grogan’s videos (there’s one about how combat works and one about the campaign mechanics) are the place to start. I’d also recommend JonGetsGames’ video play through of Gloomhaven to get a pretty good feel for how the game goes in action. He actually gets a bunch of things wrong in his video, but usually calls it out in text when he makes a mistake. But you’ll have a pretty good feel for the game if you watch all of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lewellen
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
My advice is definitely to watch the video. Then just know that the rule book is a dense read. You will encounter something, think "this is not in the rules" then re-read that section and it will be there. Also, feel free to ask questions here. Many of us love to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a commonly overthought situation. Just play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ody Gian
msg tools
While I was waiting for the game to arrive I watched several videos like the guys above suggested. Definitely do that if you have not already.

Take your time for a thorough read of the rulebook.

What helped me get started was the First Game Setup Guide file that you can find at the Files section. It is a perfect guidance when you feel ready to finally glue things together.

Then i played the game. Started with the Black Barrow scenario and played it solo several times with different classes to get the actual feel of them and the game itself. My personal suggestion is to start with two classes and modify it according to your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Paul's videos were excellent and I intend to play a solo two-character run later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.