First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » General

Subject: Comparison to Crusoe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if there is already a thread, I haven't been able to find it.

How do the Martians compare to Crusoe? We've had it and had been playing it for countless times; major fan.

Note: I have no intention to buy this game if it is just a reskin and if the changes are minor. Theme would've probably attracted me greatly when I was a bit younger, but not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are very different beasts - although you might have some familiarity if you know RC already. But basically, RC is an adventure game where you start with next to nothing and explore/build your way out of trouble.

In FM you have nearly everything from the start, but the hostile environment immediately starts breaking things down and you have to manage that.

I’m still no sure which one I like the most - perhaps RC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main difference for me is that in RC you start with nothing and slowly, facing adversity, you build up your camp and your abilities. In FM it’s (mostly) the opposite. You start with a fully functional mars station that’s deteriorating rapidly and have to plug holes in this leaking ship while trying to attain your objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
The main difference for me is that in RC you start with nothing and slowly, facing adversity, you build up your camp and your abilities. In FM it’s (mostly) the opposite. You start with a fully functional mars station that’s deteriorating rapidly and have to plug holes in this leaking ship while trying to attain your objectives.

So far doesn't sound something appealing to me. I also noted the negative review of The Dice Tower; I share their concerns that I really liked all the cards mechanics which have now apparently been replaced by the app? I also don't think I rather like that there are no longer inventions; FM appears to take as you said a different kind of approach and it doesn't seem like it has what I found quite captivating regarding Robinson Crusoe (a sense of progression).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy both of these games. I think I like FM is a little better because I feel like I spend 90% of my effort in RC just surviving (leaving 10% for the objective). In FM I think it is more 50/50. This is a plus for me since FM has a great variety of missions.

Of course my percentages would not stand up to any rigorous examination, but you get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
haplo92 wrote:

So far doesn't sound something appealing to me. I also noted the negative review of The Dice Tower; I share their concerns that I really liked all the cards mechanics which have now apparently been replaced by the app? I also don't think I rather like that there are no longer inventions; FM appears to take as you said a different kind of approach and it doesn't seem like it has what I found quite captivating regarding Robinson Crusoe (a sense of progression).

You have to work harder to breath life into the theme of FM. Pretty much everyone can get into the theme of RC, but not so FM. The events are also a lot less compelling than in RC.

However, as a game I still think it's pretty amazing. Trying to keep your base alive against adversity while achieving your objectives is a lot of fun. But it's hard work to get to the fun, and heaven forbid you have someone who doesn't read the flavour text on cards and just reads out the mechanical effect - they will suck any fun out of the game altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
haplo92 wrote:

Yes, all the events are now managed through the app. For me it’s a really genius move. As you don’t known the repercussions of the event, no longer can you dismiss it as inconsequential. You don’t know what will happen if you don’t take care of the threat. It gives a more realistic vibe to the all system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:
haplo92 wrote:

Yes, all the events are now managed through the app. For me it’s a really genius move. As you don’t known the repercussions of the event, no longer can you dismiss it as inconsequential. You don’t know what will happen if you don’t take care of the threat. It gives a more realistic vibe to the all system.

We always skip the bottom text, covering it up with the finger and not reading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.