Hostage Negotiator: Abductor Pack 5» Forums » Rules

Subject: Firefight Check roll and Extractions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hoyt
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Just picked up this Abductor Pack. have a question if anyone can answer.

During a Firefight Check it says to do a "Threat Roll". Would that be rolling using the amount of dice based off of your threat level (so majority of the time 2 dice)? I feel like it's meant to just be one die but wanted to be sure. Also, if I play a card that extracts multiple hostages, say 2, and I succeed in both the card itself as well as the firefight check, would I remove (extract) the top 2 abductor cards in this case? Thanks for any response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually played AP 5 yet, but I can tell you that:

A) A "Threat Roll" is a term that's used to refer to exactly what you think it does. You roll the number of dice you normally would based on threat level. There are Terror Cards that tell you to "Make a Threat Roll" and Terror Cards that say "Roll X dice." Threat Roll always means "dice according to Threat Level."

B) The rules say that anytime you choose to resolve an Extraction card, you make a Firefight check. Then you resolve the card as normal.

So what this essentially boils down to is: There's an extra step before resolving the Extraction cards that may or may not result in a dead hostage. Then gameplay resumes as normal. Here's two examples:

1. Threat Level is at 4. You play "Secret Extraction." Before resolving the card, you have to make a Firefight Check. This is a Threat Roll, so you roll two dice (Threat Level is at 4). You do not roll any successes, so the current abductor dies and a hostage is removed from the pool to "Killed." You then roll two dice to resolve "Secret Extraction" and roll one success. The next two abductors in the deck are saved and two hostages are moved out of the pool to "Saved."

2. Threat Level is at K. You play "Secret Extraction." You roll one die for the Firefight Check and roll a 4. You discard two "Keep Cools" from your hand and no hostage dies, since the Firefight Check is now a success. You then roll one die and get no successes, so two hostages die and one is saved.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how the rules are written. Hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jebus116 wrote:

During a Firefight Check it says to do a "Threat Roll". Would that be rolling using the amount of dice based off of your threat level (so majority of the time 2 dice)? I feel like it's meant to just be one die but wanted to be sure.

You roll the amount of dice based on the current Threat Level. Only one success on this roll is needed to prevent a Hostage being killed.

Jebus116 wrote:
Also, if I play a card that extracts multiple hostages, say 2, and I succeed in both the card itself as well as the firefight check, would I remove (extract) the top 2 abductor cards in this case? Thanks for any response.

I believe so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
mikolajl wrote:
Jebus116 wrote:

During a Firefight Check it says to do a "Threat Roll". Would that be rolling using the amount of dice based off of your threat level (so majority of the time 2 dice)? I feel like it's meant to just be one die but wanted to be sure.

You roll the amount of dice based on the current Threat Level. Only one success on this roll is needed to prevent a Hostage being killed.

Jebus116 wrote:
Also, if I play a card that extracts multiple hostages, say 2, and I succeed in both the card itself as well as the firefight check, would I remove (extract) the top 2 abductor cards in this case? Thanks for any response.

I believe so.

These answers are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hoyt
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.