Subject: Geek of the Week #631: Andrew Brooks, dotKeller! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to everyone who helped make my week super amazing and to Steph for nominating me!

I stick to the rules and found a friend from another country and someone whom I have never met before as the new Geek of the Week. He is a fellow Photographer, and a great one!!!

GotW#629 (Steph) was in the top 3 of the Picture of the Year contest and is a member of the Photo Hall of Fame.
GotW#630 (that's me) was in the top 3 of the Picture of the Year contest and is a member of the Photo Hall of Fame.
GotW#631 (dotKeller) was in the top 3 of the Picture of the Year contest and is a member of the Photo Hall of Fame.

Do you see the patern... We're now in control!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!!! Photographers will rule over BGG!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!

(A nurse is approaching, with pills in one had and a glass of water in the other, while another is holding a straitjacket... they are taking care of GotW#630).

The nurse: Please welcome
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

Thanks so much to Eric, not only for picking me to be Geek of the Week but also for being a source encouragement among many of the other incredibly talented photographers who are active here on BGG.

My name's Andrew and it's quite possible that you've seen some of my pictures around these parts. Here are a couple:

The thing is I'm a bit of a dabbler. I've only been taking pictures like these for the last couple of years but games, they've been around my whole life. I grew up playing them and haven't stopped. Sprawled out on the floor with my sisters grabbing pizza toppings or flicking Crokinole discs. Tucked away in a huge closet with my cousins slapping down cards and laughing for hours. In the basement of a friend's house painting miniatures for my colorful Eldar army. Late at night sitting at a table that's covered in cards, surrounded by my family and the Canadian wildness. In my room, not cleaning up like I was supposed to be doing, but instead making up one of countless games that only I would ever play.

Games have been, for me, a way to connect with people and escape to a simpler place. I still play games with my family, sometimes late into the night after all the kids have gone to bed and we have a chance to relax. Other times with my daughter, forming memories that hopefully she will look back on as fondly as I do. And when no one's around and I need a world to escape to, I take colorful pictures.

And here's this thing:
Poll
1. When I was in 6th grade I won the Wisconsin Stock Market Simulation by investing in Best Buy
True
False
2. I made a retheme of Star Wars: Epic Duels based on co-workers called Epic Office Duels
True
False
3. During college I went to classes one day dressed as a Warhammer 40k Space Marine
True
False
      63 answers
Poll created by dotKeller

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
HEY! Someone I know personally! Congratulations!

What is your favorite game you have only played once?

What is your favorite game you have only played twice?

What is your favorite game you have only played three times?

When are you coming back to the 13th Tribe? We miss you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
What is your favorite game you have only played once?

Mage Knight Board Game, one of these days I'll get this game a play it a whole bunch solo. Or maybe not, either way it's a pretty incredible design and I still remember my one very long play of it.

Jrtolf wrote:
What is your favorite game you have only played twice?

Metropolys, it's the game that I'm most sad about trading because it simply wasn't getting played. I regret it, this one is a gem.

Jrtolf wrote:
What is your favorite game you have only played three times?

The Castles of Burgundy, I'm a big Feld fan and am ashamed to admit that I've only played CoB three times but I love it nonetheless.

Jrtolf wrote:
When are you coming back to the 13th Tribe? We miss you!

I'm pretty much a hermit now but I'll try to figure out a way to make it back out there some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
What was the best thing you smashed with AFfO? What's your favourite picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andrew!
Have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! This is very well deserved.

My question is about Roll for the Galaxy. Did you meet your goal for playing it...100 times in a year? (I don't remember the exact number, but it was a good round number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats and welcome to the Geek of the Week club!

What do you feel inspires you when you're thinking about how to take your photos? What advice would you give to people who are interested in both photography in general and board game photography, specifically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
What was the best thing you smashed with AFfO?

It's gotta be that poor classy egg

hanibalicious wrote:
What's your favourite picture?

Without a doubt, this picture of Dingo's Dreams:

I really enjoy playing around with perception and this is one of my favorite pictures with a visual trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Congratulations! This is very well deserved.

My question is about Roll for the Galaxy. Did you meet your goal for playing it...100 times in a year? (I don't remember the exact number, but it was a good round number.

I ended up playing it 82 times back in 2015, not quite 100 but I'm still very proud of getting that many plays. In fact, I'm currently sitting at 99 plays so my next game will be that glorious 100th play I was hoping for. meeple

I'm pretty sure the only games that I've managed to play 100 times in a year are Carcassonne and Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Outlaw Josey Wales
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew!
I saw you teaching games at GenCon and I know you have helped out in the games library previously. What is the funniest/strangest experience you have had working at GenCon?
Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew!

What was the biggest screw-you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination therein.

Is there a game that you love, but are terrible at?

If you could say one thing, in this world, that is true, what would it be?

If you had to live in either perpetual darkness, perpetual light, or perpetual gloom; which would you choose?

What is the most money you have frittered away, in the shortest amount of time?

If you had to participate in an eating competition, what would be your food of choice?

What would be your UFC/WWE fighter name?

How do you define “art”?

What was the best shower/bath you have ever had?

If money and access were no object, what would be the object on earth you would buy? Collectable or not.

Is there something you cannot resist buying, if you see it (of course board games, silly, what else?)?

What is a song that you can listen to over and over?

If you could only listen to one genre of music, forever, what genre would you choose?

Who is your favorite villain?

Is it weird to answer so many questions from on stranger on the internet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andrew. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan
Russia
Ekaterinburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andrew!

When did you play snowball last time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew!

I love seeing all of the photographers!!

Best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Andrew! So cool to see a fellow Dragon Slayer get picked!

Now I gotta go think of some questions to ask...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'grats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalchio wrote:
What do you feel inspires you when you're thinking about how to take your photos?

Arrangement and photography have always been about the journey of creating something visually compelling for myself. You can think of it as a kind of meditation, the end result is a picture but it's more about the process than the result.

Stylistically, I like to take things that people are familiar with and present them in a different way. I especially love playing around with color, patterns, and visual tricks.

kalchio wrote:
What advice would you give to people who are interested in both photography in general and board game photography, specifically?

There are a lot of incredible photographers here on BGG and elsewhere, it's easy to get discouraged if you compare your pictures to the work of professionals. That's why I think it's good to pursue photography for your own enjoyment. Take pictures for yourself and develop your own style. I still don't know what I'm doing but try not to let that hold my back from being proud of my work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Andrew!
Have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

I'm going to have to go with Doctor Strange, he's easily my favorite super hero/wizard person.

If I had to pick a wizard specifically from a game then I'm going with the Eldar Farseer from Warhammer 40k. Not only was it my favorite model of everything that I painted back in the day but I also love the Eldar lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are super awesome! Way to go, Andrew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of the Canadian wilderness?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations - welcome to the club
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept Andrew Brooks as a Member

~Groucho Marx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.