United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Does your local group run regular challenges like this? How does it work out for you? We do this occasionally and feel it exercises our creativity. Our most common format is to have each designer pick a mechanic, theme, or restriction and combine them as a group to create a game.

Each of our last four attendees from last week picked a word/phrase in a category of noun, verb, adjective, adverb. Our challenge for this week is to create a game whose title incorporates these four words/phrases.
* futuristic
* hacking
* inside of
* monkey

You may add two more words to you're title and arrange the elements in any order. These examples are valid.
* Inside of the Futuristic Hacking Monkey
* Hacking Monkey Inside of Futuristic Tokyo
* Futuristic Hacking Inside of the Monkey Kingdom
* Hacking a Monkey Apart Inside of Futuristic Kitchens

These examples are invalid.
* The Future of Hacking Inside of Monkeys - pluralises monkey
* The Future Hacking of a Monkey - does not incorporate all words
* The Future Will Include Hacking Software That Runs Inside of a Monkey Brain - too many extra words

I already have my game idea, just need to work on some details.

This practice was inspired by Kai's 24 hour contest, game jams, coding dojos, et cetera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to read your post 3 times to understand what it was saying, and even then, I'm unclear of what your thread is asking for. Do you want more challenge suggestions, or were you just sharing the challenge you participated in? (and the last sentence about your game comes out of left field. Tell us more about your game, and how this challenge helped inspire you. I think that would be useful. Detail WHY this challenge is helpful.

It would have helped if your thread title was more descriptive, like ' Exercises or Challenges Meant to Invoke Inspiration'

If you're looking for more challenges, I have one I learned once in Improv/Art class. The teacher had everyone name their favorite animal. Then he told us that the animals we named usually reflected the same qualities we saw in ourselves. I thought it was a useful exercise, because it made me see myself and my choices in a new light. I picked a sloth, because sloths never rushed, but they got from point A to point B just fine. I work exactly like that, and it just felt like I had been handed a cool piece of the puzzle that is my life.

Maybe it doesn't directly influence game-making, but it makes me comfortable with my pacing, and confident in my work. I think, at the end of the day, strong mentality is important to consistent progress.

TLDR: Add more details to your post so it's easier to comment on. I'm a sloth,and I'm ok with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shintotchi wrote:

TLDR: Add more details to your post so it's easier to comment on.

The post is fine. Leif just wanted to share the challenge idea. If this spurs on a further discussion around challenges people may also use, I'm sure OP would also be happy.

Quote:
I'm a sloth,and I'm ok with it.

You shouldn't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
Shintotchi wrote:

TLDR: Add more details to your post so it's easier to comment on.

The post is fine. Leif just wanted to share the challenge idea. If this spurs on a further discussion around challenges people may also use, I'm sure OP would also be happy.

Quote:
I'm a sloth,and I'm ok with it.

You shouldn't be.

What's wrong with being a sloth?

And I think it's fine to post about the challenge. I'm just saying the way it was presented, it was hard to understand, for me. The title named the exercise before I knew about the exercise, and the post gave me information without telling me what to do with the information. In order to make sure this post does generate discussion of more challenges, I think it would only help to refocus it a bit. Not here to rain on anything, my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Shintotchi wrote:
I'm unclear of what your thread is asking for.

It's asking for two specific things. In the first two sentences. I've edited my post to bold the questions for emphasis.
maldrak wrote:
Does your local group run regular challenges like this? How does it work out for you?

Shintotchi wrote:
I have one I learned once in Improv/Art class

We are in the board game design forum. Is it not clear from context that I'm discussing board game design? Did you come in from the front page without seeing the forum?

Shintotchi wrote:
the last sentence about your game comes out of left field. Tell us more about your game

That's the topic for a WIP thread once I've got more than just an idea.

Shintotchi wrote:
Tell us ... how this challenge helped inspire you

I said it "exercises our creativity", not that it inspires me. In martial arts, a kata is a scripted exercise teaching the use of each motion and technique. Similarly, our exercises are about practicing the process of creating a game with components, theme, name, mechanics, etc for the purpose of improving our skills at this creative process.

Inspiration for us is not a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrak wrote:
Shintotchi wrote:
I'm unclear of what your thread is asking for.

It's asking for two specific things. In the first two sentences. I've edited my post to bold the questions for emphasis.
maldrak wrote:
Does your local group run regular challenges like this? How does it work out for you?

Shintotchi wrote:
I have one I learned once in Improv/Art class

We are in the board game design forum. Is it not clear from context that I'm discussing board game design? Did you come in from the front page without seeing the forum?

Shintotchi wrote:
the last sentence about your game comes out of left field. Tell us more about your game

That's the topic for a WIP thread once I've got more than just an idea.

Shintotchi wrote:
Tell us ... how this challenge helped inspire you

I said it "exercises our creativity", not that it inspires me. In martial arts, a kata is a scripted exercise teaching the use of each motion and technique. Similarly, our exercises are about practicing the process of creating a game with components, theme, name, mechanics, etc for the purpose of improving our skills at this creative process.

Inspiration for us is not a problem.

1. I saw those questions, but I kept overlooking them because they were put at the top before you gave the information it related to. The order confused me, but you're right, the question is there, apologies.

2 & 4. I'm well aware this is the board game design forum. As I said, your post wasn't clear to me on it's purpose. You mentioned the challenge, and I assumed it was meant to dig up inspiration. Regardless, you say your game is meant just to exercise your mind, so it's a brainteaser. My exercise does that as well. What does it matter if a brainteaser comes from a gaming group or an improv class? Both are exercising creativity.

All in all though, I wish you put the information you just replied to me with in your original post. I don't know anything about you or your gaming group, or the state of your inspiration, so I definitely won't know why you're doing this exercise if you don't mention it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.