Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping someone can save me a rules read so I can pre-order.

In TM, I hated the bonus tokens awarded at end of each round.

I have seen in a few videos where the end of the game had bonus points, which is fine, but I didn’t see any bonuses each turn on top of everything else. Could someone confirm this so I wouldn’t have to read the rule book?

Thanks all, that was the one thing that kept me from buying the original, but I loved everything else. A strange thing, I know, but it ruined the experience for me.

I’ll get some time to read the rules later this week if nobody knows, but would like to preorder this ASAP in case it releases in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you’re referring to the cult track bonuses at the end of each round in Terra Mystica, i.e. “1 Priest for every 4 steps on the blue track”, etc., those are gone in Gaia Project. Each round scoring tile only has the scoring bonuses, i.e. 2 points for each mine placed this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're talking about the passing tiles that award small bonuses like extra income for one round or VP when passing that round, those are in Gaia Project too. As are the scoring tiles that award points each round for building specific buildings. All that is missing are the cult track bonuses since there are no cult tracks in Gaia Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Each of the six rounds gives bonus points for some type of action (terraforming, colonizing, upgrading to a certain building type etc.). Adapting your strategy to the individual sequence of these boni in a particular game is an art and the degree to which a player utilizes them shows how skillful/good that player is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see your question caused some confusion due to the terminology not being entirely clear. Maybe you could have a quick look into the rulebook of TM in order to rephrase you question more clearly and point us in the exact direction that is bothering you?

Right now you got answers regarding

- end of round cult rewards
- start of round income from bonus tiles
- and VP rewards for meeting certain conditions during the round

As such, there is no bonus token in the game, which is the unclear part of your question. Most likely you mean the first or second point listed here, though I am not entirely shure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My question was answered. Thanks to everyone and thanks to bluesheep for making sure it was covered. In the manual they are called "8 rectangular Scoring tiles" on the components page.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82052/terra-mystica-en-10...

@DocCool I know it is an art, but I don't like it. To me it feels like they give you this open board and say figure out to play the best way possible, but then those extra scoring tiles for each round make it feel more restrictive. Like I see the open ended game that it could be, but they take it away.

I just don't enjoy that feeling. It isn't the added depth/strategy that bothers me, I love complex and deep games.

It is just that I like more freedom to build up my civilization the way I want to do it, instead of having some random conditions give out bonuses, enticing you to play a certain way. I know you could ignore them, but they are a large part of the game, and ignoring them or not, it makes the game feel restrictive to me.

I don't mind random categories at the end of the game so much, that's what I thought I saw in the Gaia videos and thought they might have taken away the scoring tiles each round because I didn't see them.

Ultimately, I recognize TM for the great game it is (I still rated it an 8, even though I don't enjoy it too much), but one cannot control how they feel, and that's how I feel about TM, and unfortunately probably Gaia Project. Which is a shame, since I love the sci-fi theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
stowed4sea wrote:
It is just that I like more freedom to build up my civilization the way I want to do it, instead of having some random conditions give out bonuses, enticing you to play a certain way. I know you could ignore them, but they are a large part of the game, and ignoring them or not, it makes the game feel restrictive to me.
I see where you're coming from, but for me this really spices up the game. I'd argue that your desired "freedom to build up your civilization" would actually boil down to an optimized game plan for most setups, only affected by map and final scoring. And if you deviate from that optimized game plan, kiss goodbye to a competitive score (just like now when you choose to ignore round scoring).

Imagine Terra Mystica without round scoring: most games will be boringly similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I never thought of it that way, and is possibly why they included that feature in the game, to make them more varied.

I still might try Gaia anyway. The most recent time I played TM, I found myself enjoying it much more. I've had TM in my cart and almost clicked on the checkout button probably 100 times now, but I just couldn't do it because of that restricted feeling I came away with after playing the game.

I love space/sci-fi and was never a huge fan of the cult track. I LOVE the idea of the tech track and the bonuses they give you, overall it seems a lot more thematic to me, and as much as I love strategy games, theme does matter to me a good deal.

Perhaps those extra pluses in Gaia Project will elevate the game to such a level that I would love it even if there is a small part I don't like.

Yes, I think I have indeed talked myself into buying this game. Haha, that wasn't too difficult.

Thanks again all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.