Seeing as how there are now 34 cards (including the 2 Dice Tower 2017 Kickstarter promos) I think it's time for a new way to play one of our favorite games. This Variant borrows from the 7 card variant but differs in several ways from other variants and the base game. First of all, the draft.
1. Shuffle all cards and deal five cards to each player.
2. Players choose one card and then pass the hand to the opposing player.
3. Players take turns taking a card and then passing the hand until each player has taken three cards.
4. Players discards their final card face down.**
5. Players place all but their final card face up in front of them giving each player three moves.
6. The last card selected is placed face down behind the other three. This is the Master's Way card.
7. The top card of the deck is flipped up to determine who goes first.
- Players have access to their own cards only.
- Once a player uses a particular card, that card is flipped face down.
- Once a player has used all cards, the cards are flipped face up again.
- At any point a player may flip up the Master's Way card.*
- The Master's Way card may only be used by the Main Pawn.
- The Master's Way card is never flipped face down once it is face up.
The end game remains the same with one exception. A player may not use a card that was face down to win the game.
So, that's the Master's Way variant. Of course, you can never play just one game of Onitama. So, I present...
The Master's Journey** (best 2 out 3)
- Players keep their cards for the second game.
- After a match the winning player takes the losing player's Master's Way card.
- Both cards are now available to the winning player's Main Pawn face up from the beginning of the game.
- The losing player takes the 2 cards discarded at the beginning of the first game.
- The losing player keeps the new card face down behind their open cards.
- The losing player decides who goes first.
- If there is a third game, both players play with all cards face up to start.
- Last edited Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 am