Subject: Q.I.C.s - where to get, and where to use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
QICs add an interesting challenge to the tactics of Gaia Project, as they are hard to get, yet they are required (resp. the easiest way) to achieve some purposes.

Where to get QICs:
- all but two factions (Bal T'aks, Gleen) get one QIC at start
- advance on certain research tracks (up to 2 from Navigation, up to 10 from Artificial Intelligence)
- power conversion (4pw)
- academy "income" (keep in mind that it is REALLY expensive to upgrade a mine to an academy: 11 ore + 14 coins; 8o + 9c for the Mad Androids aka Bescods yuk)
- round booster (if in the game)
- "income" from advanced tech tile (if in game)
- special faction abilities (PI income for Xenos, standard income for Der Schwarm/Ivits, power conversion for Terrans in the Gaia Phase, Gaiaformer abuse for Bal T'aks, coin conversion for Hadsch Hallas once their PI is built)

For most factions, the only "natural" sources of a second/third QIC are Navigation level 1, AI research, the round booster and the 4pw-to-QIC conversion. Even if you are playing Xenos, you need to build your Planetary Institute to get the QIC income flowing - and early in the game that's going to eat up most of your resources for the round.

So until late in the game (rounds 5+6), most players will gain no more than four QICs, often less.

Where to use QICs:
- colonization of a Gaia Planet (no alternatives!)
- QIC actions (no alternatives)
- temporary range extension (alternatives: reach higher level on Navigation, use round booster if in the game)
- buy one satellite (only Der Schwarm / Ivits)

In the first half of the game, QIC actions rarely are relevant, but the decision between the other two spending options (Gaia colonization and range extension) usually is a painful one. Do I go for the nearby Gaia planet, or do I extend my range to reach that far-away planet which is in my home color/of strategic importance/...? And once I've spend my initial QIC, when will I get one again - because if I don't have one, my options might be very limited (and my opponents will know that, e.g. that I can't reach a certain planet, and/or cannot take that juicy Gaia planet before they do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job on this "primer to QICs" Doc!
I have to say that I find this point a little bit unsatisfying:

DocCool wrote:
...In the first half of the game, QIC actions rarely are relevant ...

In my games I noticed that the whole existence of these actions is because otherwise the newly introduced resource rapidly starts to decline in worth from round 4 onwards. I wonder if something different could have been done, as essentially the use of QICs has that artificial early game/late game distinction to it. However I am glad that these additional actions were introduced in a way that opens up scoring possibilities and therefore overall strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramirez Kyogen
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mb
I want to add the special faction ability of the Hadsch Hallas, as they are able to convert coins into Q.I.C's once they have placed their PI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark van der Werf
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The power conversion and the academy income are really inefficient I think. The power actions on the own board should be avoided mostly, the ones on the tech board so much more efficient.

The academy that gives green cubes is highly inefficient early on compared to the one that just gives 2 tech. The benefit of that one is just that it gives something directly making it attractive in rounds 4-5-6.

But you hardly need the resource either. It seems pretty obvious you advance on the Nav and/or QIC track depending on your needs, most factions probably want to use the nav track only and use the few QIC they get there for gaia planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramirez_Kyogen wrote:
I want to add the special faction ability of the Hadsch Hallas, as they are able to convert coins into Q.I.C's once they have placed their PI.
Good catch - added to OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Kastner
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dont underestimate the qics tech tree. you can save a lot resources elsewhere if when you have the qics to fly everywhere.

and if you are the only one going for it, you get an uncontested bonus tech tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramirez Kyogen
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mb
Found another one:

(Der schwarm / de zwerm / Ivits):
They also have an income of one QIC, since they start with their PI.

They are also the only faction who has to use QICs to place satelites to form or increase their federation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the finalized version of the game (just the playtest versions), but I wonder if it is ever a viable strategy to use QICs solely for Navigation. They seem much more useful for other purposes (Q.I.C actions and Gaia Planets), but that means you have to beeline the Navigation track early on in the game to prevent others from taking potentially habitable planets.

There may be factions where this could work, but I don't think Navigation can wait until later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusesses wrote:
There may be factions where this could work, but I don't think Navigation can wait until later in the game.
Fortunately, somebody already made a thread about this fact: Navigation Research - unavoidable for most factions?
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Eggman
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the QIC track used in conjunction with the QIC special action spaces to be an extremely effective stategy. Used it three times now and won all of the games by a large point margin 50+ points. My favorite QIC special action space is the second one (re-recieve the resources on a federation token you possess). This is such a powerful action. I have used it to supply the gold and the ore that I am lacking. It is also a powerful VP spammer. I think that it will become a hotly contested spot once more people see how powerful it is. The third QIC special action space--recieve a tech for 4 QIC--is also a powerful way to snag an advanced tech. Advanced techs often can score you between 10-20 points or give you amazing abilities such as 5 gold and 1 QIC each round. The 2 cost QIC action space is not too shabby either. It typically will score you between 5-8 victory points.

Don't underestimate the power of QIC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
Markwerf wrote:
The power conversion and the academy income are really inefficient I think. The power actions on the own board should be avoided mostly, the ones on the tech board so much more efficient.

If you can take the QIC action then you should get around 4 points per QIC which is not bad for 4 power, or especially 4 money for the HH. (e.g. reusing a 12 point federation for 3 QIC, or if you have 5 different planet types (starting, gaia, the 1 terraform ones and one of the 2 terraform ones) which is not hard then it is 8 points for 2 QIC. It is a late game thing though for sure, but can give useful points.

The HH turning money 12 money into 12 points on T6 seems pretty strong to me, but the action is likely fairly congested on T6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
I think the 4 power for a QIC conversion is competitive with the 4 power cost actions on the special power action track. I also think getting tech tiles is core to any good Gaia Project strategy. One of the best ways to get early tech tiles, is to take the 4 QIC for a tech tile action. Bal'taks, and power cycling factions like the Taklons, and the Nevlas off the top of my head can all get at least 2 tech tiles throughout the game using QIC. Getting these extra tiles, massively improves the income of these factions and can help them score massive points even earlier than you might expect. I think the standard for most if not all the QIC actions being taken each round will eventually settle on round 4 if not round 3 and the tech tile action I expect will be taken round 2 in most games and sometimes even in round 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Södra Sandby
flag msg tools
As beginners we see a lot of 3 QIC to repeat the 12vp fed token bonus, it seems very strong when the setup tiles help getting qic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gijs Akkermans
msg tools
lionel_ritchie wrote:
As beginners we see a lot of 3 QIC to repeat the 12vp fed token bonus, it seems very strong when the setup tiles help getting qic

Do you ever notice a lack of flippable federation tokens, preventing a player from claiming the top of a tech track or advanced tech? That's what I would expect to see if multiple players choose (and later rescore) the 12VP fed.

Rememember that rescoring the 8VP1Q fed tile scores the same amount of VP per QIC, with the added benefit that the fed token can be flipped. The downside is that you can spend effectively only 2 QIC per action, which can be a serious problem if the 'rescore federation' action is heavily contested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Södra Sandby
flag msg tools
I don’t think we are beyond clueless noobs yet, it’s hard enough trying to work out how to do the so called standard openings. In 3 games we’ve not seen anyone get advanced tech tiles, though we did once get to the top of the track somewhere. 2P games it seems very hard to move power round and it’s just a slog from start to finish, just getting a couple of federations is hard enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leg
msg tools
mb
4 power for 1 QIC is not inefficient compared to other actions if used for the 4 QIC action.

1 research lab = 10 gold + 6 ore for 1 research per turn and a tech tile. It is part of the standard first turn because this is a great return.

Cost is equivalent to about 19 power in contested power actions and requires 3 turns and for you to win the effort, while also cycling power for opponents.

Xenos start with 2 QIC thanks to having level 1 QIC tech, and if they get the QIC booster can almost certainly take the 4 QIC action early. Makes for a strong start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls