Meeple Circus» Forums » General

Subject: A couple clarification (turn order and multiscore) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
For the scoring cards, it states that you can score multiple times if one things differentiates. So if you have 3 wooden beams and a horse and the scoring card for the horse with the wooden beam laying across its back, can you score the card 3 times? Granted only one beam would be on the middle of the horses back, and the other having one being slight off center. Would you just score once then? Is the criteria to have to be exactly as listed on the card? How much tolerance is there? There were a lot of questions on multiple cards with the multiple scoring and it just made it difficult on what we should let slide and what shouldn't. Would it be easier to just be extremely strict?

Also, we found that turn order gave some people severe disadvantages/advantages. Since you draft both tiles at once going later makes your choices much more poor. If you are second to last, it is possible for you to be last in the following round to draft and the highest score person being second to draft. We came up with a variant, where we draft from last place to first place, but only picking one at a time. Don't know if this was the best solution, or having a another method of drafting be better(maybe a 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 kind of draft would be better? 1=lowest points etc...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understood, it must look exactly as on the scoring card. This means no, you can't score it multiple times with only one horse.

Turn order was no problem in our game at Essen. You have to take an act tile and a component tile. In our game in the second rehersal the first three players took an act tile. The last player now was free to take a component tile first and wait with the act tile since no other player could claim another act tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Wens
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Ehm....
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollandtwo wrote:
(maybe a 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 kind of draft would be better? 1=lowest points etc...).

Strange. This was the way the Matagot lady explained the game to us in Essen Spiel - and it's how I've played it ever since.

It's only after reading this thread that I've checked the rules - and indeed:

rulebook wrote:
Starting with the first player and proceeding in a clockwise direction, players must perform following two actions in the
order of their choosing : take any one Component tile and tahe one 1st Act tile.

Still, I like the way it was explained to us better. i think I'll keep it that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a clarification from the designer in an earlier buried thread so I'll repost his quote here as it's a good question.
CedMil wrote:
There is not many details in the rule as the idea is that you should *exactly* match the card configuration to score. Then of course you might have a certain level of tolerance, especially if you play with children.

The turn order thing is a big advantage so we do the drafting you draft one type of tile (white tile or act tile) at a time and then the other type when it gets back to you and in later rounds drafting in reverse score order so the person doing the worst gets first crack at it. I tried doing the Catan style draft (1,2,3,3,2,1) but it seemed too punishing for the last place person to draft that last tile and hard to keep track of when doing let the lowest scoring person draft first and just worked better drafting last to first.

Another house rule that helps a little is we let the last place player kill two cards instead of one so, if they want, they can kill a card then replace it and kill that one to if they don't like it or another goal card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 'take both tiles at once' thing is a translation error. If you look at the example of play on the left border of page 2, they draft 1,2,3,1,2,3...

That's how I've been playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
webdanzer wrote:
I think the 'take both tiles at once' thing is a translation error. If you look at the example of play on the left border of page 2, they draft 1,2,3,1,2,3...

That's indeed how it is written in the French rules, so I'd wager for the translation error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric MILLET
India
Pondicherry
Pondicherry
flag msg tools
mbmb
I confirm both tiles should not be taken at once. If you are 4 players you have to draft 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4. You can start by drafting the type of tiles of your choice, but of course the second time you draft you have to choose from the other type of tiles.

Hope this helps.

Cedric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
CedMil wrote:
I confirm both tiles should not be taken at once. If you are 4 players you have to draft 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4. You can start by drafting the type of tiles of your choice, but of course the second time you draft you have to choose from the other type of tiles.

Hope this helps.

Cedric

I see, yeah the rulebook has some translation errors and it lead us to believe that you draft them all at once, which felt unfair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just taught this game yesterday and we also played the draft wrong, but in a different way - the teacher had us first have a round in which everyone picks component tiles, and then have a round in which everyone picks act tiles.

Reading the rulebook afterwards, I could totally see myself making one of those mistakes.

The main rules paragraph indeed seems like it tells you to do the two actions at once:

Quote:
Starting with the first player and proceeding in a clockwise direction, players must perform following two actions in the order of their choosing : take any one Component tile and tahe one 1st Act tile

Now the example on the sidebar should clarify that, but it is not clear enough either IMO:

Quote:
Matthew is the first player and begins by choosing a Component
tile.

He places his tile in front of himself and takes the corresponding
components from the reserve. Then the other players do the same
in a clockwise direction.

Really makes it sound like you all get component tiles first. I believe that's why our teacher was confused. Only by carefully cross referencing the rule paragraph and the example (which also shows that an act tile is missing when it gets to Matthew's second turn, but that's very easy to miss) I was able to understand what is meant. I hope this is fixed in a later edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.