Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Good synergy classes for our starting party of four? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty subjective question, but we're getting close to starting our first game of GH. The chosen classes so far are Brute, Spellweaver, and Cragheart.

I'm trying to decide which 4th class to start with. Obviously I can change my mind later, so I'm just looking for input on which remaining class has good synergy with these three. I love making combos and playing to a group's dynamic strengths.

Also, the Spellweaver player probably won't be around for every session. So I would either have to sub in and play the spellweaver (if it seems "required"), or pick one that will be a suitable replacement when necessary.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any combo will work with 4 players. The Mindthief is really fun to play, and is very flexible, allowing you can tailor it to your needs. It has cards you play to "augment" itself, turning it into a tank, or a ranged unit, or a high damage unit, depending on what you want.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Any combo will work with 4 players. The Mindthief is really fun to play, and is very flexible, allowing you can tailor it to your needs. It has cards you play to "augment" itself, turning it into a tank, or a ranged unit, or a high damage unit, depending on what you want.


Thanks James! Do you think such a group will miss having a healer?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Any combo will work with 4 players. The Mindthief is really fun to play, and is very flexible, allowing you can tailor it to your needs. It has cards you play to "augment" itself, turning it into a tank, or a ranged unit, or a high damage unit, depending on what you want.


Thanks James! Do you think such a group will miss having a healer?


Every class has some ability to heal, and as you level up, there will be options for more healing cards.

I played through the KS campaign with a Brute and a Mindthief - definitely no dedicated healing there, but it worked pretty well once I figured out how to use them together.

A healer could be good though, for sure, and tinkerers look like fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing to remember is that eventually one of your characters will retire, and then you'll get a different one - probably whatever fun new one you just unlocked. The character dynamics will change, and the game is flexible enough to work with any combination.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Vandermeulen
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
The Scoundrel can be a relatively straightforward character to play, and pairs up well with the Brute. She likes being in close quarters with both allies and enemies. (The Cragheart on the other hand likes to have some space.)

The Mindthief is certainly a unique character to play, she can potentially do a little bit of everything. She is the most complicated to play of the starting classes - both to use effectively and simply having Augments that play differently than other player's cards.

If someone wants to play a healer role, then the Tinkerer would be for them. But as James said, you can get by without a dedicated healer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a party of 2, we actually used the Tinkerer but ended up going without almost any Healing cards. A healer may help, but you don't need one.

I'd imagine any combo of 4 starting characters is going to work well. There are a couple of combinations for 2 character parties that could be tough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Askjær
msg tools
I would say with a party of 4 and a cragheart+brute is a scenario where you can get the absolute most out of the scoundrel.
The scoundrel can be abit "off" if everyone is trying to stay at range from enemies.

I play scoundrel in 2 man with a brute. Brute often ends turns with pushing stuff away from itself making flanking actions and rogue style attacks abit iffy. But with a 4 man composition i feel like there should always be some good move to make on your turn.

Oh and its good at snatching up loot aswell
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Korkrest wrote:
I would say with a party of 4 and a cragheart+brute is a scenario where you can get the absolute most out of the scoundrel.
The scoundrel can be abit "off" if everyone is trying to stay at range from enemies.

I play scoundrel in 2 man with a brute. Brute often ends turns with pushing stuff away from itself making flanking actions and rogue style attacks abit iffy. But with a 4 man composition i feel like there should always be some good move to make on your turn.

Oh and its good at snatching up loot aswell


Thanks! Great feedback

Do you find the scoundrel satisfying to play? It looks like a good and useful option in our situation, but not having looked at it very closely, I wonder if it is at all a "beginner" class that I might get bored with.

I'll have to go read the strategy guide on reddit to see how it plays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Askjær
msg tools
Hard question to answer really. She has fewer cards than most (9), meaning fewer choices(easier) but risky playstyle because you can exhaust faster(harder).

There is some controlled planning in the Scoundrel, lets say your teammates are not good at communicating clearly, then you can add some control by either guaranteeing you go first or almost surely go last. This way you can either get your plan going without interruptions from other players, or wait till everyone has gone and then react to it.

This also means you can act very slowly one round then very fast the next, giving you two rounds of cards in a row, removing that priority target quite efficiently.

But as a scoundrel your purpose is quite clear, high damage on fewer targets, the hardest part will be managing your cardpool, damage intake and positioning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.