Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game yesterday with a gamer friend that I have who got the game recently. I liked the game for the most part but was disappointed with the runes and combat. Not one of the monsters could be beaten because we could only get at most 5 points during combat. Most of the time we would only get 2 or 3 points. I thought to myself that combat more or less sucked. What I found out is that when the rune drop is on a hard surface they bounce out so far that you can't count them for the battle. In the rules, it shows them landing on end and on top of each other which only happened 2 times. I put the board on a non-slick mat and the runes dropped like they should. Looking forward to playing the game again. Repeated advice, put the drop zone on a pad of some sort to prevent bouncing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ogrodnick
msg tools
We had a similar problem the first time we played (how are you supposed to throw a 9 against the Krakken/Baugi?!?!) but upon consulting the rules we realized that the number in the top left of the card is NOT the value you must throw to complete the quest. It is actually the number of runes thrown by another player in defense of the challenge.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoa8v23qojril67/livret_regle_Vikin...
(See page 11 of rules)

For example, you throw 5 runes and score 3; another player throws 9 runes for the Baugi but still might only score 1 or 2. It seemed extremely rare to get them to actually overlap (it only happened twice in our 5 player game).

So basically if everyone sucks equally at throwing the runes, you have about equal chances against the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeta6240 wrote:
We had a similar problem the first time we played (how are you supposed to throw a 9 against the Krakken/Baugi?!?!) but upon consulting the rules we realized that the number in the top left of the card is NOT the value you must throw to complete the quest. It is actually the number of runes thrown by another player in defense of the challenge.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoa8v23qojril67/livret_regle_Vikin...
(See page 11 of rules)

For example, you throw 5 runes and score 3; another player throws 9 runes for the Baugi but still might only score 1 or 2. It seemed extremely rare to get them to actually overlap (it only happened twice in our 5 player game).

So basically if everyone sucks equally at throwing the runes, you have about equal chances against the monsters.
I am not sure if you misinterpreted my message. What I am saying is that if you don't put a pad underneath the Rune throwing zone you will not be able to get the runes to drop properly, which makes battling suck. The runes won't respond as intended when not using a pad underneath to deaden the bounce. It made the more runes stay in the rune zone. Therefore having a chance to beat the monsters and have better battling all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Muir
msg tools
mbmb
you mentioned that you can only get 5 points during combat, but that's only if they land rune side up. If you get any on an edge they are worth 3 points and then double if they overlap. We played on the weekend and one of the players was a beast at killing monsters! He had 5 or six powers (from his defeated prey) on his side which helped him win the game handily.
We Even had one instant win with a rune standing on its short-side which was Awesome!!

We played on a hardwood table and the bouncing is part of the challenge, the average rune total was maybe 3-5 for a win (with only 2 or 3 scoring), but there were many 1-3 points that won as well because the defenders runes fell out of bounds or came up blank (even with some of the monsters that threw 6-8 runes).

This isn't to say that having a no-slip pad wouldn't mitigate this, or to downplay your disappointment (I hope your next game goes better for sure) I just thought id weigh in on the rune drops are supposed to be pretty swingy (its great as an opponent to watch the leader whiff on a 10 rune throw against a 3 rune creature!) and it does make the instant victory rune that much more epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShadowBaker3 wrote:
you mentioned that you can only get 5 points during combat, but that's only if they land rune side up. If you get any on an edge they are worth 3 points and then double if they overlap. We played on the weekend and one of the players was a beast at killing monsters! He had 5 or six powers (from his defeated prey) on his side which helped him win the game handily.
We Even had one instant win with a rune standing on its short-side which was Awesome!!

We played on a hardwood table and the bouncing is part of the challenge, the average rune total was maybe 3-5 for a win (with only 2 or 3 scoring), but there were many 1-3 points that won as well because the defenders runes fell out of bounds or came up blank (even with some of the monsters that threw 6-8 runes).

This isn't to say that having a no-slip pad wouldn't mitigate this, or to downplay your disappointment (I hope your next game goes better for sure) I just thought id weigh in on the rune drops are supposed to be pretty swingy (its great as an opponent to watch the leader whiff on a 10 rune throw against a 3 rune creature!) and it does make the instant victory rune that much more epic!
apparenly I am not able to get my point across as well as I had hoped for, so here is all that can say. Play it the way you feel. For me, I would not play it ever again on a hard table that makes them bounce all over. I would have to put it on a pad to buffer the bounce. The reason I put a pad under it because the gamer that owns the game said he had no problem when playing on his gaming table and that is because those tables have a padding of sorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keso55, are you using the chipboard rolling surface that comes with the game? That should absorb a lot of the impact.

Otherwise, you might be dropping the runes from too high, which will cause them to scatter. You should be dropping the runes from 4" (or 10 cm) height. Don't throw them, rather let them drop from that height, and you should be good to go.

We played last night and had a great time with it. This is a new game for my group and everyone LOVED the runes! We also had some good successes against tough mythical creatures.

I'm actually tempted to use this system in other games where I would normally use dice! Every time we had an overlapped or standing rune (or if it was close), everyone around the table would go "OHHHH!!!!". It was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:
Keso55, are you using the chipboard rolling surface that comes with the game? That should absorb a lot of the impact.

Otherwise, you might be dropping the runes from too high, which will cause them to scatter. You should be dropping the runes from 4" (or 10 cm) height. Don't throw them, rather let them drop from that height, and you should be good to go.

We played last night and had a great time with it. This is a new game for my group and everyone LOVED the runes! We also had some good successes against tough mythical creatures.

I'm actually tempted to use this system in other games where I would normally use dice! Every time we had an overlapped or standing rune (or if it was close), everyone around the table would go "OHHHH!!!!". It was great!
We used the board that was exclusive to the Kickstarter, not the centerpiece. Dropped them at the right height. All I can say as I have said before From my point of view the drop zone should not be on a hard surface. If using a game table there is usually some kind of buffer material on the table top. It is just personal opinion that the runes work better when they are not bouncing all over the place. To each his or her own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:

I don't own the game, What is the chipboard rolling surface that comes with the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
I don't own the game, What is the chipboard rolling surface that comes with the game?

In the rule book (on Page 4) they call it the Rune Throwing Zone.

It can be seen in this picture on the upper left.

We do have some scatter when casting runes, but I think that's intended. On average I'd say for every 5 runes we cast, 3 of them typically remained in the circle of the Rune Throwing Zone, and a couple would usually be on the edge or outside.

I joked with my gaming group that after our game was over, I was going to spend the rest of the night perfecting my rune casting technique.

Incidentally, my group noted that reaching across the table to drop the runes usually made them scatter more. So we got in the habit of moving the Throwing Zone board to the player who was casting runes, which worked a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:
keso55 wrote:

In the rule book (on Page 4) they call it the Rune Throwing Zone.

It can be seen in this picture on the upper left.

We do have some scatter when casting runes, but I think that's intended. On average I'd say for every 5 runes we cast, 3 of them typically remained in the circle of the Rune Throwing Zone, and a couple would usually be on the edge or outside.

I joked with my gaming group that after our game was over, I was going to spend the rest of the night perfecting my rune casting technique.

Incidentally, my group noted that reaching across the table to drop the runes usually made them scatter more. So we got in the habit of moving the Throwing Zone board to the player who was casting runes, which worked a lot better.
Yes we used the chipboard piece.I see it is on a tablecloth which could buffer the bounce a bit more. All I can say is if you only get 2 or 3 runes to stay then beating the monsters as a whole is not as likely. Wish we would hear something from the designer. I know I would never play the game again if it is used on a hard surface. If on a gaming table it will react the way that I believe it was intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
All I can say is if you only get 2 or 3 runes to stay then beating the monsters as a whole is not as likely.

Why? Monsters cast runes just as you do, so what affects you affects them as well.

In fact, we felt that the more runes that are cast the more bouncing happens, so while there's the potential for high results, there's also a bit more chaos involved and things can scatter more.

We felt it was very well-designed and added a lot more of a "cool" factor compared to rolling dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:
keso55 wrote:
All I can say is if you only get 2 or 3 runes to stay then beating the monsters as a whole is not as likely.

Why? Monsters cast runes just as you do, so what affects you affects them as well.

In fact, we felt that the more runes that are cast the more bouncing happens, so while there's the potential for high results, there's also a bit more chaos involved and things can scatter more.

We felt it was very well-designed and added a lot more of a "cool" factor compared to rolling dice.
The monsters don't cast runes, The number on the top left is what you have to beat. Most of the monsters we encountered had a defense of 6-9 in our game. We had about 10 -12 monsters and not one could be defeated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
The monsters don't cast runes, The number on the top left is what you have to beat. Most of the monsters we encountered had a defense of 6-9 in our game. We had about 10 -12 monsters and not one could be defeated

Ah, now I see the problem!

Yes, the monsters, Navigation cards, and everything with a number in the top left corner actually DO cast runes! It's described on Page 11 of the rule book. Here's a screen grab of that:

You'll see "Difficulty: The number of destiny runes thrown in defense of an event".

Edit: On Page 9 of the rule book, they cover this specifically:

If you played that that was the number to beat, then the game would be basically unwinnable. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Muir
msg tools
mbmb
Thats why you found it so difficult! the monsters throw runes as well, that number in the corner is how many someone throws as the monsters defense (as Hellikin pointed out). you will definitely have to give the game another try with this info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:
keso55 wrote:

Ah, now I see the problem!

Yes, the monsters, Navigation cards, and everything with a number in the top left corner actually DO cast runes! It's described on Page 11 of the rule book. Here's a screen grab of that:

You'll see "Difficulty: The number of destiny runes thrown in defense of an event".

Edit: On Page 9 of the rule book, they cover this specifically:

If you played that that was the number to beat, then the game would be basically unwinnable. surprise
Wow did we play it wrong. That seems to happen at least 80% of the time on the first play. Thanks for the clarification. Will let the owner know that next time I see him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Desilets
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
The first reply in this thread told you you were playing wrong, and you got upset at him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDez wrote:
The first reply in this thread told you you were playing wrong, and you got upset at him.
I wasn't upset. I realized we had played it wrong, but my main point was how the runes fell and they fell better if not on a hard surface. This is only my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.