Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules wrote:
A train may only reverse direction if it is in a city (including all major city mileposts). A train may only change direction at a city or a port. You may change directions as many times on your turn as you wish, as long as you have movement points remaining.

The first part is clear, but what is the exact meaning of "change direction"? I assume you don't have to go in straight lines from city to city.
Maybe it's just a mistake and "change direction" is the same as "reverse direction"?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
The point it's trying to make is that a train cannot reverse in the middle of a connection between cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbacher wrote:
The point it's trying to make is that a train cannot reverse in the middle of a connection between cities.

I've always wondered about this. Why not?

Thematically, trains can usually travel in either direction.

Mechanically, there's not a lot of point in changing direction mid-track unless something catastrophic happens (like a bridge being out). Why not let people do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Crocker
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that it is a mechanical limitation in the game system to encourage players to think about their strategies well in advance. It prevents players from deciding, "oh, I think I'll just back track to that city I just passed and pick up the goods they offer." It also acts as a penalty for instances where you leave a city before remembering that you actually had a delivery there. You need to go to the next town before you can backtrack to the previous city and drop off that load.

Additionally, Iron Dragon is simply a fantasy-skinned version of Empire Builder. I think the movement is explained a little more clearly in the Empire Builder Rules:

Quote:
"A train may only reverse direction if it is in a city (including all major city mileposts). A train may change direction at a junction during its move. A train may change direction in this way as many times as a player wishes each turn, as long as it still has movement points remaining."

Thematically, the idea is that the train has no reverse gear. It only goes forward. Since it's on a rail, it can only change direction (including reversing direction) when it comes to a junction (where rails cross each other in the wild) or to a rail yard or rail spur (in cities and towns).

If you don't like these small penalizations, or if you feel that your trains have a reverse gear, you can always house-rule your game to allow that. Personally, I like the extra challenge of having constrained movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Britton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xorsyst_uk wrote:
bbacher wrote:

I've always wondered about this. Why not?

Thematically, trains can usually travel in either direction.

Mechanically, there's not a lot of point in changing direction mid-track unless something catastrophic happens (like a bridge being out). Why not let people do it?

I agree; we house-rule it away, because it's one more thing to keep track of (the pieces don't have arrows showing direction) and it tends to kick people when they're down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.