Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Garrett
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Having now felt I’ve got an idea how to play the game (2 4-player and a couple of solitaire efforts), I sat down and decided to run through a solitaire effort and make notes of what I did. First a randomised board, Clan (Cunningham) and a token for £55, 2 wheat and a cheese.

Set Up

I noticed the upper left port was the exchange raw materials port so as it had reasonable green areas near it a mountaineer on a (3) nearby was mandatory. The second placement was just the cheapest Forester on a (2). £34 remaining.

Round 1

Sold a wheat and a cheese for 2 and selected a contract with mutton and cheese (buy it cheaper next turn) to get back to £54. Out go the 4 cows that lead to the port in a nice neat row, cost including £4 to upgrade shipping to cross the river £50. Now the last wheat is treaded for 3 milk. Production is just 4 milk which are sold along with 3 in stock for £56 leaving a mighty £86 in hand!

Round 2

Awash with cash – sheep on (4) next to central loch and 2 upgrades to shipping to give range 2. Leap down the Loch to place a wheat (2) and a pair of bakeries (2 & 4) as the contract board is just full of bread! Now I buy back my cheese and fulfil the contract buying back the sheep (4). Grab a bread contract while still free. A final forester (3) placement ends the actions. Again sell milk and after production we have £70, a wool and 2 bread going forwards.
Round 3

Still more bread on contracts and no sugar cane in sight. Sell a wool as dice had increased price. Complete 2 bread contract and build a sheep on northern side of loch as bridgehead. This allows the construction of 2 bread and a wheat heading off towards the north eastern port area. Sadly the contracts picked up after the 4th cheese were poor and so were discarded and the 4 bread contract bought. Finally I bought milk to sell post production. Selling 5 milk keeps my funds healthy.

Round 4

Depressingly there is no sugar cane in sight. Decide that target is going to be 7 contracts and 11 settlements unless I can slaughter one or two cattle on turn 5 to split my large settlement in which case there is a chance of 14 settlements.

Fulfilled the big bread contract and bought another to fulfil later in the turn so I could get one for 10 for the last round (and to empty board). Decided I finally needed cheese production and also built another distillery and wheat field to get production up. Another sheep placement ended the round. Only sold 3 milk as I needed 2-3 cheese in final round depending on contracts.

Round 5

No contracts either with beef, or giving sugar cane – wow!! I am not going to get 14 settlements now but after buying 2 cheese (using port to get a discount) it was straightforward completing current contract and buying and completing two more to make 7
Final score was 154. I could have scored higher if contracts had been better as not having a 5 multiple hurts and a beef contract would have enabled me to aim for 14 settlements.

Final position in image below – it was fun to play through and I suspect it may not have been optimal play but seems a good indication how the game flows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TM Cheng
msg tools
//Sadly the contracts picked up after the 4th cheese were poor and so were discarded//

u discarded the contract u picked before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Snyder
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
sorman wrote:
//Sadly the contracts picked up after the 4th cheese were poor and so were discarded//

u discarded the contract u picked before?

Yea, I'm pretty sure you can't discard contracts. you have to fulfill them. Don't have the rules in front of me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahle
Sweden
flag msg tools
You do not have to keep a contract from the 3 you draw as a bonus for building your 4th advanced building. It's optional.

If you have taken a contract, either from the common pool or from a building bonus you must fulfill it, you can never just discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Garrett
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
It was just an comment so timing may look askew. I had discarded all 3 export contracts picked from deploying the 4th production unit as I didn't draw any I wanted to put in the contracts box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Snyder
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Gotcha, that makes sense.

I just played solo with this clan last night, and I did absolutely horrible. I was reading one comment yesterday in another post stating they didn't like the clans, because it dictated your strategy for you. However, I am beginning to think the difficulty is in knowing when to use the clan's special ability and when to deviate, because if you rely on it too much with the wrong contracts out or wrong layout of the map, then you can trap yourself in a bad strategy.

I have to say that I am really loving this game, and now to try this clan until I do better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
"Heeland coos" ... that's what my relatives in Kilsyth called them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hytch
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report without being wordy. Played my first game with Cunningham last night (solo) this is insightful not so much around how to play this specific clan but the thought process to how to tackle the game as a whole. Thanks. Needless to say, while I was still grappling with the rules, let alone strategy, I posted a “newbie” score. Oh for the heady heights of being disappointed with 154!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.