Hide
8 Posts

Aeon's End: War Eternal» Forums » General

Subject: randomize & card power level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viet Tran
msg tools
Heyo! Got this game a few weeks back and IT IS HARD! we are currently 1-10 against The Hollowed Crown. We have been working on choosing the best market cards to try to beat him.

I was wondering, do players in your group tend to buy the same cards? We have found that we rarely buy each of the 4 spells and it seems hard to make all of the relics work. Is this why we are losing, because we are too narrow minded? Or do you notice that some cards are generally better than others?

I want to eventually get to randomizing the market, but we can hardly win when we cherry pick the "best" market cards. Perhaps our perception of "best" is incorrect, but the Relic that cost 2 that destroys a card and heals Gravehold and the other Relic that cost 4 and heals you for 3 and gives you a focus look to be a lot stronger than the other relics.

What are your thoughts on the general power level of each card?

Thanks! Enjoying the game a lot, considering buying the other sets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how many players you are and who you play!

Do you have War Eternal only?
Something that usually works well is building up a ton of charges starting mid-game, but I'm yet to beat Hollow-Crone without Reeve, who's VERY good against the Crown but who's from a previous expansion.

Randomizing the market is great because it forces you to try new cards and interactions, but it also can make your life much harder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vietbtran wrote:
Heyo! Got this game a few weeks back and IT IS HARD! we are currently 1-10 against The Hollowed Crown. We have been working on choosing the best market cards to try to beat him.

I was wondering, do players in your group tend to buy the same cards? We have found that we rarely buy each of the 4 spells and it seems hard to make all of the relics work. Is this why we are losing, because we are too narrow minded? Or do you notice that some cards are generally better than others?

I want to eventually get to randomizing the market, but we can hardly win when we cherry pick the "best" market cards. Perhaps our perception of "best" is incorrect, but the Relic that cost 2 that destroys a card and heals Gravehold and the other Relic that cost 4 and heals you for 3 and gives you a focus look to be a lot stronger than the other relics.

I'd poke around the forums and make sure you're not missing any rules.

Assuming you're playing everything correctly, try prioritizing damage more. Buy more spells earlier and more often and until you're close to the end of the game, save them to damage minions if possible.

GL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
It really depends on how many players you are and who you play!

Do you have War Eternal only?
Something that usually works well is building up a ton of charges starting mid-game, but I'm yet to beat Hollow-Crone without Reeve, who's VERY good against the Crown but who's from a previous expansion.

Randomizing the market is great because it forces you to try new cards and interactions, but it also can make your life much harder

Yeah we only have the War Eternal. We have been playing 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
qxc0 wrote:
Vietbtran wrote:

I'd poke around the forums and make sure you're not missing any rules.

Assuming you're playing everything correctly, try prioritizing damage more. Buy more spells earlier and more often and until you're close to the end of the game, save them to damage minions if possible.

GL

Thanks! I guess my main question is do you typically buy 1 or 2 of each spell or do you usually just buy the same spell over and over again because it is clearly better than the other.

How often do you keep spells on an open breech before you cast it? Sometimes it seems like it is just better to cast the spell right away to cycle through your deck and get as much damamge spells cast as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dennett
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win, don't care if you lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general strategy, try having one person go mostly gems to get a good economy going, but have someone else go for spells earlier to try and keep the minions under control. Have the third do something in between or work on something else specific.

Though I personally have not attempted that nemesis yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Be mindful of what and when you buy. If there are trim cards available. Having a tight deck is powerful. So is powering up your special. Early on we ignored those in favor of engine building but this game isn't all about that, you have to fight for the onset or fall behind and never recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vietbtran wrote:
Thanks! I guess my main question is do you typically buy 1 or 2 of each spell or do you usually just buy the same spell over and over again because it is clearly better than the other.

How often do you keep spells on an open breech before you cast it? Sometimes it seems like it is just better to cast the spell right away to cycle through your deck and get as much damamge spells cast as possible

I almost never don't fire off spell, with the exception of Malastar and Yan Magda's unique, and the occasional Extinguish because I want a trophy (yes folks, I did play Quillius. Everything happens )

As for buying the same spell: depends on the market.
If you have Fiery Torrent, everyone should buy some. If you have Blaze, only one player should buy them.
If you have a Link spell, obviously, buy two. Some other spells, depends on the bonus it gives. It's a good idea to have an Ignite per player since it gives an ally a free charge. Feedback Aura though? Depends on your character.
You want purchase a Nova Forge if you have a ton of gems already, but if you don't then it's a great buy!
If you play Mazahaedron you won't buy a Crystallize but your pals definitely should.

There's no general guidelines there, it depends on your initial setup, and then you have to adapt to the situation.
I had to buy spells super early, like turn 1, yesterday, which I usually never do since I like building economy first better.
Hollow Crown is all about controlling the acolyte's life total so the least painful Blood Magic triggers. So earlty spells is not a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.