Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone always raves about the Kallax shelves so I got a few. Initially they were fine but then when I went to move my collection over I saw the issues with them.

They are an incredible waste of space when fitting game boxes. The game boxes aren't all uniform in size so I ran into an issue where the Kallax holes are too deep and too narrow of a width.

Does anyone have any advice on how to organize games so you can play the game box Tetris and fit them without too much waste?

Thank!
R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to be honest, regardless of the shelving system there will always be foibles and odd fits of boxes. I am prone to partitioning my collection on size ranges, and fitting smaller card game style boxes and such into larger, stackable boxes that fit into the kallax or what not. Add a nice label and it has something of a library aesthetic to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of my games are of similar size, so they usually fit. Otherwise I just put them in wherever I can. whistle

The coffin-size box (only Twilight Imperium so far) sits on top and for smaller box games (think Sushi Go and Hanabi) I have a fabric cube drawer (or whatever they are called) which contains them and still looks nice.

Yes not everything will fit perfectly but it still looks slick and a majority will seem to fit well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the only hope for uniform game storage is to rebox them all.

I find endless variety in games I get.

I have like 12 games that have a square box (TTR) and they all fit nicely in my milk crates. Then I get a copy of Pueblo and it is a square box about 1/2" larger than the 12 or so I already have.

It is endless tetris AFAIK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Kallax:

1. Assemble shelves
2. Fix mistakes made in step 1
3. Place as many games as possible in shelves
4. If you have games leftover, buy more shelves; GOTO 1
5. If you have leftover space, but more games to fill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kallax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Kallax for the win!

Some of mine, I have a gap between the Kallax and wall, which lets me stack the narrower standard game boxes (Istanbul, Trajan, At the Gates of Loyang, GMT Games boxes) two deep - the boxes at the back overhang a bit but seem fine. And the big box games fit too. I have one Kallax unit on wheels. No overhangs allowed on that one. The Academy Games boxes fit well on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Atwood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will never be uniform unless all of your games are exactly the same size are are just the right size to almost fill the holes from side to side. This does though allow you to hide new games from your significant other (LOL) if they think you have too many games, stack 2 deep for different versions like normal vs NSFW, or hide away expansions but leave the main game showing.

If you do not care about seeing the boxes you can use the the cloth drawers for smaller games or the Bit Box by BIT Game Storage for all sorts of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Long flat boxes and large squares work exceptionally well on Kallax (Power Grid Size, and Ticket To Ride Size, also Queen Games "Big Box" size). Smaller games, not so much. I prefer other shelves for those.

One cube of a Kallax holds 6 Power-Grid boxes (and a thin one like California, or 5 and one 1.5x thick boxes like Die Macher), 3 Queen "Big Box" size games (Railways of the World is almost the same size), or 6 square Ticket to Ride boxes.

Kallax does a great job if you have the right size games.

You can get a pair of half-cube height boxes/baskets that work well for storing about 30 card games each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only two truly efficient game storage methods are a custom shelving system designed for your collection or reboxing your games in standardized containers. Anything else involves compromise.

You (the OP) don't like the extra depth, but that's one of the reasons Kallax are so popular around here. I can store a Milton Bradley-sized game -- really, just about anything shorter than the long Monopoly box -- without anything sticking out.

Plus, being Ikea products they're standardized and hackable. People combine multiple Kallax units in all sorts of creative ways. Depending how you use the shelves, you could omit some of the vertical dividers from the top row or two to store FFG coffin box games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enough large boxes that I left out a divider on the top shelf of a couple so those could be stacked there.

TTR size boxes are easy, they're about the size of a shelf, obviously.

CoB/GMT Games proportioned boxes I stack so you're looking at the narrow end and then have room for some more boxes beside them vertically.

Small stuff just gets stacked somewhere where-ever.

I'll make concessions to aesthetics and waste space sometimes. Which is sort of the point of a kallax. No one is suggesting them because they organize space efficiently. The cubes are pleasing to the eyes of many and they keep things pretty well organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
235689KA
badge
Content Generation For A New Generation
mbmbmbmbmb
"Kallax Disappointment" is definitely one of my favourite early Manic Street Preachers album tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:
lets me stack the narrower standard game boxes (Istanbul, Trajan, At the Gates of Loyang, GMT Games boxes) two deep

Yikes! Why not just hide them in a drawer?!?
gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Kallax:

1. Assemble shelves

This reminded me of the good ole days of programming any and all math/science equations and notes into my TI-83 calculator in high school. Then, writing an RPG fighting game. Good text adventure fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the BESTÅ line from IKEA. Adjustable shelf heights let me group games of the same size in space saving configurations. The individual pieces can mount to each other and they have track systems to help mount them to the wall if desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love the Kallax. But what I have done for the long length games is, their either go up top or in the middle. What I did was, for at least the 4x4 one is I didn’t put one of the vertical pieces in but I still left the dowels in for integrity. So to get the dowels from not sticking out in front of the games, I took a saw to half of the dowel that’s sticking out and sanded. It helps but you’re still going to run for more shelves to handle the larger games. Regardless, Great shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
As mentioned, it's the boxes that are at fault here.

dukane wrote:
EMBison wrote:
Kallax:

1. Assemble shelves

This reminded me of the good ole days of programming any and all math/science equations and notes into my TI-83 calculator in high school. Then, writing an RPG fighting game. Good text adventure fun!

There were some good games for the TI calculators. Ahhh, the old days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to see pictures in this thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:
Need to see pictures in this thread!

OK!

I just took this picture. Note that for the two Kallax 4x4 units referenced on the left-hand side of the picture, the 4x4 to the left of the one shown actually houses books, because my 'library' lives on the other side of the room!

There are more Kallax in this room - the entire game room is basically one big cluster of Kallax!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My old LACK shelves are starting to come apart at the seams, and I haven't found anything in the Ikea catalog that I like as much. I'm not sure Kallax is my answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, remind me to never design shelving units if people are going to blame my shelf design for their very niche hobby's lack of standardization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Long
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the top level of one of our Kallax we didn't add the small pieces resulting in 2 larger shelves. So we can places our more irregular sized games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Poole
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Troller of Trolls
mbmbmbmbmb
Gladiator FTW!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gladiator-72-in-H-x-36-in-W-x-18-in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shaneslunchbox wrote:

If there was something like this, but the uprights weren't so industrial, I'd go for it. But as it is it wouldn't quite work in my first-floor game room that's open to the living room. I need something that looks more like furniture than hardware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.