Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Yesterday, my most awaited KS game ever arrived. Gloomhaven - albeit not in perfect shape - finally made it home. Nothing is stopping me from playing it now. Or, actually, something is. I would love to paint the minis first.

If I open those mini tuckboxes prior to playing a single game, will I be ruining my GH legacy experience? Or can I safely give those minis the love they deserve and then enjoy the game as much as anybody else?

(Oh, and can I find cards/pictures of what the minis are supposed to look like in the game?)

Thanks!

Aernout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Scholz
Germany
Gütersloh
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really depends on what you consider a spoiler. there is nothing but the miniature in the small boxes. So nothing spoiled except what it looks like. (Though in some cases that might be enough to get some general idea about how the class plays. Tank, Mage, whatever...)

If you need a painting reference from within the game you would have to open the envelope and look at the player board which has a Picture of the hero on it, that however might spoil quite a bit since that envelope also contains there abilitie cards special modifier cards and special rule cards in some cases.

I think there are pictures available on isaacs website but I'm not quite sure how spoiler-free that particular site is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to paint the six starter characters, and I'm planning to paint the others as they are unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias T
Germany
flag msg tools
You found my uncreative, hidden message. I will put something smart here once I had enough coffee. There is never enough coffee...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trondster wrote:
I'm going to paint the six starter characters, and I'm planning to paint the others as they are unlocked.

That's what I did this weekend. The first six are painted and every class that is unlocked will have to remain gray for a session or two until I get an evening to paint it.
But having the class I'm going to unlock - in a few games as things are looking now - already on the table to paint I would also say the spoilers are minor. I know from the other classes what race it is and I can guess on how it plays but that's all. Since class unlocks are pretty random anyways there is no progression there.
For references I think you can find the player boards and character art online and there are some pictures of fully painted sets already here on bgg I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trondster wrote:

And will the rulebook tell me which ones those are? (I prefer basing all at the same time, and I enjoy having painting sessions, but do see your point!)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Trondster wrote:

And will the rulebook tell me which ones those are?

Thanks!

Find the 6 character envelopes that are not sealed with stickers and those are your starting characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trondster wrote:

Ditto, but I was planning on priming them all on one go, though. So I will open all of them - prolly take a pic of each in front of their boxes so that I know which one to put back in which box, and then start painting the six starting figures - and starting those with the four we'll start with: Scoundrel, Mindthief, Cragheart and Spellweaver

- Kez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I painted them all at once. To each their own, of course, but I'm of the opinion you get the same amount of discovery-joy regardless of when you open the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppo Sinisalo
Finland
flag msg tools
18h later 3 minis painted, its worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lagoondragon wrote:
18h later 3 minis painted, its worth it

3 finished here too. But hve not yet played the game, which feels wrong. Will be playing solo. Any video anybody recommends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Will be playing solo. Any video anybody recommends?

"Rolling Solo" Channel on Youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.