Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been tinkering with a design for Khamûl, the 2nd-most powerful of the Nazgûl, and settled on not one, but two that I like. A bit like the Witch-king with his alternate military- and corruption-oriented incarnations.

NOTE: Adding Khamûl by himself affords the Shadow an advantage. To balance his inclusion one should probably give the Free Peoples an additional character to use (like an upgraded Treebeard, perhaps). I've got another idea for someone else, but that isn't ready for prime time yet.

[Edit: per discussion below, I've now posted a rough draft of Radagast the Brown as a possible offset to the inclusion of Khamûl in the game.]

Khamûl is a Shadow Character and not a Minion, and therefore his entry into play does not satisfy the requirement for Gandalf the White's entry. Neither does he add an action die of any kind.

I'll post details below and welcome any feedback or alternative suggestions.

/Raf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KHAMûL, LIEUTENANT OF DOL GULDUR (Level ∞, Leadership 1)

If the Witch-king is not in play and Dol Guldur is unconquered, you may use a Muster Action Die result to play Khamûl in Dol Guldur and recruit one Sauron Regular there.

Present Evil. When an Eye tile is drawn as the result of a successful Hunt, increase the Hunt damage by one if the Fellowship moves into, out of, or through the region occupied by Khamûl.

(It was Khamûl who nearly sniffed out the hobbits on their journey out of the Shire.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KHAMûL, SHADOW OF THE EAST (Level ∞, Leadership 1)

If the Witch-king is not in play and South Rhûn is unconquered, you may use a Muster Action Die result to play Khamûl in South Rhûn and recruit one Southrons & Easterlings Regular there.

Shadow of the East. For Combat card purposes, Khamûl is considered to be a Minion with a leadership of 2 when he is with an Army containing a Southrons & Easterlings unit.

The Black Easterling. If Khamûl is in South Rhûn, you may use any Action Die to advance the Southrons & Easterlings Nation one step on the Political Track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules governing both versions:

- Khamûl is considered a Nazgûl for all game purposes and counts against the limit of eight Nazgûl in the force pool.

- You may use a Muster Action Die result to replace Khamûl with his alternate version.

- If Khamûl is eliminated, you may not recruit him again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Howe art for the cards:

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur

Shadow of the East

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dig this, but I think the FSP player would need a new unit in the DEW line to help out the extra power coming from the east. Perhaps a Bain son of Bard or a King Dain would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea, love the powers you came up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Easterling Commander version better, probably just from a gameplay aspect. Easterlings and Southrons don't have any personality attached to them, which is a shame.

The Black Serpent (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Black_Serpent) could be another option, this one being played in Umbar or another Harad region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:

NOTE: Adding Khamûl by himself affords the Shadow an advantage. To balance his inclusion one should probably give the Free Peoples an additional character to use (like an upgraded Treebeard, perhaps). I've got another idea for someone else, but that isn't ready for prime time yet.

What about Eowyn? Wasn't she an extremely important character? A Witch King slayer?
I think Eowyn should be a surprise to SP - like a Fellowship movement. Why should SP know that she is the chosen one? If Siege Engines introduce specialized leaders, one of them could be named Eowyn, but it should be the hidden assignment of FP to choose which one is the Witch King Slayer. Imrahil? Theoden? Thranduil? Eowyn? Eomer? Keleborn? Dain II? However Eowyn, if chosen, should be more successful with this ability - to make this assignment more frequent with her. Please promote this idea to Ares!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
I dig this, but I think the FSP player would need a new unit in the DEW line to help out the extra power coming from the east. Perhaps a Bain son of Bard or a King Dain would be good.

What if Siege Engines introduce named leaders with some minor abilities? Then we will have Dain II, Bard III, Thranduil in the DEW line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Putting my cards on the table here: I think too many unique characters will overwhelm what is an otherwise tight game design and introduce more analysis paralysis. So I am partial to adding just a couple enhanced ones, or possibly having Event cards introduce enhanced leaders rather than generic ones.

2. I'd like to keep the discussion of siege engines, new mechanisms etc. to the other thread - Any speculation on what the next expansion will contain...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What about Eowyn? Wasn't she an extremely important character? A Witch King slayer?

Although if Merry had not had a magical sword, the Witch-King would have remained unkillable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:

A playable Radagast the Brown could be the thing. Maybe he exercises a Power Too Great effect on Old Forest Road or allows some unusual limited recruitment: If the North nation is active, you may use a Muster to add one North Regular in Rhosgobel or Carrock. Either of these would make Woodland Realm more defensible and invite the Shadow to go through Dale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
1. Putting my cards on the table here: I think too many unique characters will overwhelm what is an otherwise tight game design and introduce more analysis paralysis. So I am partial to adding just a couple enhanced ones, or possibly having Event cards introduce enhanced leaders rather than generic ones.

So... 1 recruitable enchanced leader per nation. The identity of some of them could be hidden until reveal to surprise SP with Eowyn iso a named leader (Theoden, Eomer, Thranduil etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the S&E version more, pretty much for the same reasons as Falenthal stated before. I do not like that Present Evil makes him better than WK in hunting (unless, of course, there is a thematic explanation for that).

Radagast would indeed be a nice counterpart for him. Both of your suggestions sounds fine. I throw some ideas for Radagast and OFR effects back to you . If Radagast is in play 1) OFR is concidered a fortification for the Free Peoples? or 2) FP armies have +1 combat strength there? or 3) Shadow armies can only move to or attack OFR with a character die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hessen wrote:
I do not like that Present Evil makes him better than WK in hunting (unless, of course, there is a thematic explanation for that).

He's only better than Black Captain - my intent was to reflect how close Khamûl came to finding Frodo (I think Unfinished Tales names him as the one sniffing for Frodo as he leaves the Shire). Consider that LOME Witch-king has both Spear of Terror and He Sees, He Knows that make him murderous to the FSP.

Present Evil is a small buff to regular Nazgûl powers - it will only come up with an Eye tile (1 in 4 chance) and him being in a region along the FSP's path. Present Evil is also inferior to either Balrog effect.

Hessen wrote:
I throw some ideas for Radagast and OFR effects back to you . If Radagast is in play ... Shadow armies can only move to or attack OFR with a character die

Subtle and elegant - I like this third suggestion the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this rough draft of Radagast the Brown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.