Subject: Mayfair Games Sees Layoffs. Is it Closed Down? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The end of Mayfair games ??

I did look to see if this had been posted before but couldn't find anything, so apologies if it's old news...

From the article...

"We received a tip that Mayfair Games has closed down as of November 2 with employees being let go"

"Expect this to be a topic at this weekend’s PAX Unplugged where the game publisher is still listed as an exhibitor. We have been told they won’t be present though the website hasn’t been updated to reflect that".

Full article here..
https://boardgametoday.com/mayfair-games-sees-layoffs-closed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Poole
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Troller of Trolls
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I heard that this has been coming for awhile. I wonder what they will do with their licenses and how this will affect the prices of their games on the secondary market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also: Brief Update, SPIEL '17 Videos, and What's Up with Mayfair?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so Fenlon takes a core part of the business, sells it off (or outright gives it) to Asmodee, then jumps ship to head that new firm. With hired help like that, who needs enemies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Wow, so Fenlon takes a core part of the business, sells it off (or outright gives it) to Asmodee, then jumps ship to head that new firm. With hired help like that, who needs enemies?

I doubt we will ever find out the full details, but yeah that thought did cross my mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing lasts forever and once giant players can be reduced to footnotes. Enjoy them while you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperJoeUK wrote:
The end of Mayfair games ??

Eh, Mayfair games died long ago.

"In 1997, Mayfair shut down for financial reasons, and was subsequently bailed out by Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE), who purchased most of the company's assets and restarted operations as Ironwind, Inc."

Most of you are saying "Who???" but, as an RPG'er, I remember ICE quite well, for its "not D&D" RPG game, Rolemaster (aka. Chartmaster for the older RPG'ers). ICE, however, went bankrupt in 2000.

"Pete Fenlon became the CEO of Mayfair Games in 2007 to oversee a major reorganization with a refocusing on core brands, most importantly, the Catan family of games."

"In January 2016 the company transfered all publishing, commercial, and brand rights for all English-language Catan products to a new subsidiary of the Asmodee Group, Catan Studio. Fenlon left the company to become the CEO of that new company."

Given the financial problems Mayfair had in its history of gaming, it was less if than when. We'll never know what Mayfair would have been and what other games it would have made if it didn't focus on the Catan franchise, although I could guess.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

You qualify the sale of the Catan assets as a give away... wondering if you know the valuation of that purchase and its relative market value at the time of sale, just to evaluate if it was a fair price or a give away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more the fact that he oversees the sale of the core brand to someone else, then leaves to helm that new enterprise. That's what seems shady, not the fact that it was sold off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Good luck to those laid off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
It's more the fact that he oversees the sale of the core brand to someone else, then leaves to helm that new enterprise. That's what seems shady, not the fact that it was sold off.

Nothing shady in that. It was his job to get the most value for a company. Getting a boatload of cash for the investors is the expectation. They were smart for getting out of the game while they could get something for a property that still has legs, but won't last forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The implication is he took the assets and ran ... but unless we know what Asmodee paid for the assets, it's all speculation. It seems like a clear conflict of interest to sell your core brand, then jump ship to the new owners of that brand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

Nothing shady in that. It was his job to get the most value for a company. Getting a boatload of cash for the investors is the expectation. They were smart for getting out of the game while they could get something for a property that still has legs, but won't last forever.

No need to defend him, they're not really accusing him of anything untoward. They're just saying it seems shady the progression of events. Kind of like how you'll often see the head of some government regulatory agency approve a super favorable regulation for a particular company and then "coincidentally" be awarded a prestigious consulting job with that same particular company (or a sub company).

They're not saying he did anything wrong, just that it sure looks "convenient."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperJoeUK wrote:
"Expect this to be a topic at this weekend’s PAX Unplugged where the game publisher is still listed as an exhibitor. We have been told they won’t be present though the website hasn’t been updated to reflect that".

Full article here..
https://boardgametoday.com/mayfair-games-sees-layoffs-closed...

I can confirm they will not be in attendance at PAX Unplugged. The portion of the website the article is referencing was a news post from mid-Summer, announcing the Exhibitor List, so that has not been updated. Mayfair was left off of subsequent postings of the exhibitor list, as they have cancelled their plans to attend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
The implication is he took the assets and ran ... but unless we know what Asmodee paid for the assets, it's all speculation. It seems like a clear conflict of interest to sell your core brand, then jump ship to the new owners of that brand.

More likely he was one of the negotiated assets sold with the Catan franchise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

No need to defend him, they're not really accusing him of anything untoward. They're just saying it seems shady the progression of events. Kind of like how you'll often see the head of some government regulatory agency approve a super favorable regulation for a particular company and then "coincidentally" be awarded a prestigious consulting job with that same particular company (or a sub company).

They're not saying he did anything wrong, just that it sure looks "convenient."

Ok, but shady and untowards are typically used in the same neighborhood of assessment.

This reeks of unrelated cause, effect, and motive with a giant dollop of BGG speculation. Then again, it wouldn't be a day without that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

Qualifications for heading that new division seem a likely reason.

Oh, but in the age of everybody is an expert, that detail is typically assumed not essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how their minimum advertised price structure looks to everyone now.

Pete (bought all their games at inventory-clearing blowout prices)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I wonder how their minimum advertised price structure looks to everyone now.

Pete (bought all their games at inventory-clearing blowout prices)

Pete overpaid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoy Lords of Vegas published by them. One of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm debating if I should order all the Uwe Rosenberg titles Mayfair currently owns now, or if I should wait.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean their games won't be re-printed in the near future? Should I be looking to buy up whatever Mayfair games I might be interested in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
Does this mean their games won't be re-printed in the near future? Should I be looking to buy up whatever Mayfair games I might be interested in?

If the game is good enough, then someone else will pick up the license.

So, look into buying whatever games they produce that you think suck. whistle

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
tribefan07 wrote:

If the game is good enough, then someone else will pick up the license.

So, look into buying whatever games they produce that you think suck. whistle

~V

Point taken.

But that could likely be a while before those licenses are transferred, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.