12 Posts

High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Space Colony rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
What is the advantage of a space colony?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
2 extra VP. Plus, some cards have a requisite (colony) to unlock a special ability, not to mention a certain glory card (but in CEO I consider it as too much trouble for what it is worth).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And:

- you can cycle your crew card back to your hand

- if you have your crew card in hand, you may still convert your outpost back to crew

- protection from some felonies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
Quote:
2 extra VP. Plus, some cards have a requisite (colony) to unlock a special ability, not to mention a certain glory card (but in CEO I consider it as too much trouble for what it is worth).

What is the requisite (icon?) of a colony? Can you tell me one card for example please?

WBRP wrote:
And:

- you can cycle your crew card back to your hand

- if you have your crew card in hand, you may still convert your outpost back to crew

Could you please tell me where in the rules I find this mentioned? I looked for myselg but didn't find anything to space colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Microgravity Pantrophists / Blue Goo Symbionts turn some of your colonies into labs. They use the word colonies rather than a symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teknador wrote:
Could you please tell me where in the rules I find this mentioned? I looked for myselg but didn't find anything to space colonies.

It's listed under Free Actions.

Quote:
8. Build or disband SPACE COLONIES. To build a
space colony, decommission your crew or a human
colonist (R2) at your factory and place a dome
at the location representing a space colony. Each
factory can support one space colony. To disband
a space colony, you must have your crew card in
your hand. Replace the space colony dome with an
outpost containing your crew card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a more general sense, it's part of the more general rule that two cards (or "cards") can be exchanged freely before or after movement, when they're in the same location.

Colony domes are effectively static crew cards, and can be freely exchanged, as long as you don't end up in a situation where there were two of the same crew card in play at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBRP wrote:
- protection from some felonies

The factory itself counts as human presence to prevent hijacking. For the most part colonies are useful for points and for crew-card cycling.

Keep in mind that in addition to cycling your crew card back to your hand when making a colony, you can also decommission a colony at any time and turn it into an outpost or rocket containing the crew card at that site. This can be useful for transporting things off of a site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
WBRP wrote:
And:

Why can I do that in context with building a space colony? I don't understand that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I should have typed "colony", not "outpost". Matt Watkins fleshed it out as "Keep in mind that in addition to cycling your crew card back to your hand when making a colony, you can also decommission a colony at any time and turn it into an outpost or rocket containing the crew card at that site. This can be useful for transporting things off of a site."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
Ah OK, I understand. Thanks for all the helpful answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And if you want more thematic colonies, that is those made of colonists, not mere crew, follow the Exomigration Module (W.1-6). They add 1 more VP, 2 votes at a price of sacrifising claim (needed in ventures, some futures) and said colonists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.