Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2049 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [82] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG 2017 Secret Santa is GO! - Now with New and Improved Santa Geekmail! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Targets have been Acquired!
PLEASE READ EVERYTHING!

BGG 2017 Secret Santa !

mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

How do I Secret Santa?

FIRST!!! VERIFY YOUR TARGET!

Before sending anything, first check your target's profile page for his/her last login date. DO NOT send a gift unless your target's last login date is November 14th or later. Some people register for Secret Santa and then forget about it. If after a week you see that your target has still not logged in please geekmail me.

SECOND!!! SEND A GIFT!

- The MINIMUM expectation is that you will buy at least one NEW game for your target off of his/her wishlist, with a total cost (including shipping) of at least $50USD. If you do more than the minimum - awesome! If you do less, your Secret Santa obligation will be considered unfulfilled (see below for consequences of failing to meet Secret Santa obligations).

- Do whatever you can to ensure that your target's gift arrives before the end of the year. Don't delay! Better for gifts to arrive early than late. Some countries are particularly notorious for having lengthy delivery times so if you have a target in one of those countries it is particularly important that you get your gift sent as soon as possible.

- Do whatever you can to ensure that most of the money you spend is spent on the gift rather than shipping! If you have a target from another country, try to purchase from an online store that is close to your target to cut down on shipping costs!

Here are some resources to help keep shipping costs low:

Secret Santa's Little Helpers 2017 - helpers from your target's country to help you dodge common purchasing/shipping issues
Secret Santa Shipping and Duties/ Buying INFO (If you see any info on this list that is out of date please geekmail me)
BGG 2017 Secret Santa Preferred Stores
Online game stores from around the world: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Secret_Santa_Stores
(Retailers - please email Contact@boardgamegeek.com to be included on the Stores list)

THIRD!!! SEND PROOF THAT YOU ARE A GOOD SANTA!

- ALL Santas are REQUIRED to send proof of gift purchase and shipment by email to the following email address: SecretSanta@boardgamegeek.com

- Please include your username AND the username of your target in the subject line of the email.

- If you purchased online, forward the receipt. If you have physical receipts, scan or take pictures of them and attach them to the email. If there are no receipts for part of the gift, take a picture of the contents of the package and send those.

Why do this? Sometimes packages get delayed or lost. As long as we have your proof of purchase and shipment - you are covered! If we receive a complaint AND do not have a record that you sent a gift we will assume the worst. So do not forget to PROTECT YOURSELF by emailing proof of gift purchase and shipment to SecretSanta@boardgamegeek.com

OPTIONAL!!! NEW AND EXCITING WAYS TO INTERACT WITH YOUR TARGET AND YOUR SANTA!

- First and foremost, I want to stress the OPTIONAL part - some people love taunting. Some people love being taunted by their Santa. But not everyone does. Do not be disappointed if your target does not respond to your taunting. Do not be disappointed if your Santa does not taunt you. Some people will end up not even getting a gift from their Santas for any number of reasons. THOSE are the people who can be disappointed. The rest is OPTIONAL!!!

- NEW! - You have two brand new options on the Secret Santa page - "Send Message to Your Gifter" and "Send Message to Your Recipient" - using the Gifter option allows you to send a message to your Santa, whoever that may be, without you knowing who your Santa is. Similarly, using the Recipient option allows you to send a message to your target without identifying who you are. It's that easy! No more need to log into a separate anonymous account, no more crossed signals, no more lost messages!

- If you want to anonymously give your target some geekgold, geekmail me using the following format, where xxx is the amount of the transfer:

yourusername, -xxx

targetusername, xxx

FOURTH!!! WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU GET YOUR GIFT!

Got your gift? Awesome! Post a thank you to your Santa on the 2017 Edition of Look What My Secret Santa Sent Me…

Didn't get your gift? (Or got something that doesn't meet the minimum expectations?) - wait until January 2018 before contacting me about not receiving anything. Shipping can take a while, especially if your Santa is from overseas. I will post an update at the start of January about the process for reporting situations where no gift was received.

Most importantly remember that the receiving side of Secret Santa is a distant second to the giving. Your Secret Santa experience is a success if you make YOUR target happy. Getting something in return is also fun, but shouldn't be your main focus.

MOST IMPORTANT!!! HAVE FUN!

The generosity of our community never fails to impress me. I am very excited to see the fun and inventive ways people choose use the new messaging options. This Secret Santa is already shaping up to be another memorable one!

Please feel free to geekmail me with any questions or problems. If it's a question you think many people might have, post it in this thread. And above all else, Happy Holidays!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG 2017Secret Santa - Now with New and Improved secret communication! Targets coming by the end of the day

Secret Santa Links

2017 Edition of Look What My Secret Santa Sent Me…

Most Popular Secret Santa Games - 2017

Secret Santa's Little Helpers 2017 - helpers from your target's country to help you dodge common purchasing/shipping issues

Secret Santa Shipping and Duties/ Buying INFO (If you see any info on this list that is out of date please geekmail me)
BGG 2017 Secret Santa Preferred Stores
Online game stores from around the world: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Secret_Santa_Stores
(Retailers - please email Contact@boardgamegeek.com to be included on the Stores list)
World Wide list of Stores

Secret Santa meta-list
2017 Secret Santa Taunts and Hijinks

Miss out on registering for 2017 Secret Santa? Join the Second Chance Secret Santa! Registration closes Nov 21st https://boardgamegeek.com/geekexchange/join/394
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Re: BGG 2017 Secret Santa - Now with New and Improved secret communication! Targets coming by the end of the day
Target acquired!!!! Let's have some fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danylo Smirnov
Ukraine
Lviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG 2017 Secret Santa is GO! - Now with New and Improved secret communication!
HOOOOOORAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Lenne
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG 2017 Secret Santa is GO! - Now with New and Improved secret communication!
Yeeeaaaahhh !!!

Let the party begins !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen W
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!

Edit: oh no, my giftee last logged in on 13/11/17
Hopefully he will log on again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oceluna (jueguetistorias)
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a target!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoting for emphasis:

Quote:
Now that targets have been assigned, I want to highlight a new anonymous messaging feature we have included for this year's exchange:

You have two brand new options on the Secret Santa page - "Send Message to Your Gifter" and "Send Message to Your Recipient"

Using the Gifter option allows you to send a message to your Santa, whoever that may be, without you knowing who your Santa is.

Similarly, using the Recipient option allows you to send a message to your target without identifying who you are.

It's that easy! No more need to log into a separate anonymous account, no more crossed signals, no more lost messages!

(This system is intended to accentuate the fun of Secret Santa. Please only use it to make things more fun for your Recipient/Santa. If you receive any messages through this system that you feel are harassing or an abuse of the system please forward them to me so they can be dealt with.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Macklin
msg tools
mbmb
Got it!

Now to make some devious plans devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
O boy I've got a victim target santee meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Greer
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, well, well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Target locked on, launch codes received and package launched!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I can't believe it's already started! So exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron D
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second time (out of 5) with a target in Latvia. Add that to my former target from Estonia and I think the match system really wants me to know the game stores in the Baltic area! laugh

So excited to start researching!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
airdog4evr wrote:
Second time (out of 5) with a target in Latvia. Add that to my former target from Estonia and I think the match system really wants me to know the game stores in the Baltic area! laugh

So excited to start researching!!!

Be sure to make use of the Santa's Little Helpers geeklist! https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/232478/secret-santas-litt...

Getting purchasing and shipping advice from people in your target's country can make the task SO much easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we include BGG formatting in our Santa correspondence, like imageid tags and other coding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Target acquired, the stalking begins! Have fun everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
So freaking sad to skip out this year.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Can we include BGG formatting in our Santa correspondence, like imageid tags and other coding?

It works like regular geekmail..

Using the messaging form through the Exchange results in the geekmail being delivered through a third party account to keep the sender anonymous. The Subject line is automatically generated to include the name of the Exchange and your relation (Gifter or Recipient) to the person getting the geekmail.

Sending to your target - you remain anonymous because all your target sees is that the message is from his/her Santa in the BGG Secret Santa exchange.

Sending to your Santa, your Santa can put together who you are based on the subject line IDing you as being his/her target in the BGG Secret Santa exchange (I intend to also "sign" my username to the bottom of messages sent to my Santa to make life that much easiera)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Gordon
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man! I'm so excited for my target they have a bunch of games on their wishlist at affordable prices and lots of games that I already own or I also have on my wishlist !! This will be tons of fun <3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Shabatowski wrote:
Target locked on, launch codes received and package launched!

wow package launched! That was quick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
I just sent a message to my Santee, but is there a way to see what I wrote?Is there a record of sent messages somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanor Gerrart
Brazil
flag msg tools
There will be any discount coupon for miniature market or Cool stuff inc this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
I just sent a message to my Santee, but is there a way to see what I wrote?Is there a record of sent messages somewhere?

This - The Santa account was fantastic for archival purposes...All gone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [82] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.