Subject: Difficulty scaling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Jones
United Kingdom
Burgess Hill
West sussex
flag msg tools
Finding this very hard in two player. Seems like you only need a couple of bad rolls for the whole thing to fall apart.

Would it be better to control two investigators each? Or would does the difficulty scaling adjust for this.

Ant other tips that might help us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would not play this game with 2 investigators. I play solo with 3, and if I was playing with another person we would each control 2 each.

Eldritch Horror is similar, the game is just a bit two hard with 1-3 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janusz Skalski
Poland
Kraków/ Kielce
flag msg tools
mb
I use simple solution with Additional Action.

For 3 players you give one extra action for team, to be used by one selected player (so each round someone have 3 actions). It balances nicely.

For 2 players, each should have 3 actions, or you can play with 2+2 investigator variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I always play two investigators each. Easy enough to do (though wouldn't want to do more) and provides nice variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played at least half of the games 2P, but we don't mind losing. I like controlling more than one investigator in something like Eldritch Horror, but dislike doing it in this game because of the way the insanity effects work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie, how do you then address the insanity conditions that require 3+ people in the game and are more interactive?

If you drew on that required you to betray your team, you could just have that character do it to the other model you control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with my girlfriend a couple of games 2P, then we tried playing controlling two investigators each and have not returned back. It's much better to play with 4 investigators. Insanity conditions have never been a problem. Just a bit of improvisation is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Pak wrote:
Jamie, how do you then address the insanity conditions that require 3+ people in the game and are more interactive?

If you drew on that required you to betray your team, you could just have that character do it to the other model you control.

Isn't that simple since they require 3+ people not 3+ investigators - i.e. I suspect that they are not used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the base scenario 3 times now (happily it varied a little each time ). The first time we were 2 and we lost badly. Second was 4 player and we almost won. 3rd time we were 2 again and won with, I suspect, a round to spare. I certainly didn't see it as being any harder with 2 than more. It might be worse when you need to split up further and explore more remote corners of the map in other scenarios, but I was fine with 2 so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Sam Pak wrote:

Isn't that simple since they require 3+ people not 3+ investigators - i.e. I suspect that they are not used.

They expect that for 2+ players that each person uses one investigator each. The reason for the player vs investigator distinction on the insanity cards is that in a solo game, you're supposed to control two investigators.

So there is no in-game support for this situation. Of course, you can always do what you want and the reasonable thing to do here is to ignore the card and draw another one.

I really enjoy the paranoia that the insanity conditions introduce at 3+ players and feel like it's a nice balance for the difficulty of the game being easier at higher player counts. I guess ultimately playing 2 investigators each at 2P felt too easy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some discussion on the topic here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1835443/scaling-game-diffic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
i play two investigators with 3 actions each. Its a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.