JonMichael Rasmus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no tradition like a new tradition. Next week is the all-time top 100 geeklist.

He brags of his misery, he likes to live dangerously:
Prime Movers
Kingdom Death: Monster +13 #68

Falling Stars
[Twenty games dropped one]

Top 100 Debuts
NONE

Top Ten Trends
NO CHANGE

Top 5 Winning Movers
Great Western Trail
The 7th Continent
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure
Kingdom Death: Monster
Jaipur

New Highest Peaks
Great Western Trail #11
The 7th Continent #40
Kingdom Death: Monster #68

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

At this point, Kingdom Death: Monster seems likelier as a top 10 game than 7th Continent. Mostly quiet ahead of the holidays.

Have a good week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Having played KD:M I'm surprised it's as popular as it is. It was fine, but really did nothing for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
frankqb wrote:
Interesting. Having played KD:M I'm surprised it's as popular as it is. It was fine, but really did nothing for me.

Quite the opposite for me. Kingdom Death killed my desire to play anything else. It's amazing, and I love it. Everything else seems insignificant at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
frankqb wrote:

Quite the opposite for me. Kingdom Death killed my desire to play anything else. It's amazing, and I love it. Everything else seems insignificant at this point.

Same. By far the best game I have ever played and I suppose I’d consider Cosmic Encounter a quite distant second at this point. Gloomhaven will probably take Cosmic’s spot in my mind when it arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Daoust
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsr525 wrote:

At this point, Kingdom Death: Monster seems likelier as a top 10 game than 7th Continent. Mostly quiet ahead of the holidays.

Have a good week.

7th Continent will probably have a second wind when the reprint hits the backers in hopefully March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree there. I think KD:M will make a solid top 50 but I dunno about top 10. Then again, it has staggered content releases until at least 2020. Hard to say if that’ll keep reminding more people to rate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
I agree there. I think KD:M will make a solid top 50 but I dunno about top 10. Then again, it has staggered content releases until at least 2020. Hard to say if that’ll keep reminding more people to rate it.

Good point. Likely will, though I wonder if that will have a bigger impact that 7th Continent's two-phase release next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Great Western Trail is close to Top 10! That means that 2 of my favorite games (Terraforming Mars and GWT) will be in top 10. Cool. I honestly hope that 7 wonders duel will be the one to drop and not Castles of Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadae
msg tools
Can anyone explain the success of Jaipur? Almost all winning movers are games of the last couple years that haven't peaked yet. Jaipur is from 2009

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadae wrote:
Can anyone explain the success of Jaipur? Almost all winning movers are games of the last couple years that haven't peaked yet. Jaipur is from 2009

It's a good game that saw decent distribution at a reasonable price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Benzein
Sweden
Sollentuna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For kickstarter games the amount of votes is the limiting factor for how high on the list they can climb.

7th Continent is currently around a 20% conversion rate backers/votes.
I think that's close to what KD:M has before the second Kickstarter as well. If that conversion rate holds we are probably looking at around 4-5k votes that KD:M will land on, and while I think that might be enough for top-20 it will probably not be good enough for top-10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
frankqb wrote:

First game I rate so high though. It's completely mind-blowing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
frankqb wrote:

First game I rate so high though. It's completely mind-blowing.

For me that game was Gloomhaven. I find KD:M to be a lesser version of that, but to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frankqb wrote:
My experience is the same as yours. The game is mediocre at best. I'd play again, but I wouldn't seek it out.

Pete (doesn't particularly care for cool miniatures, which is probably where the appeal really lies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing Pete is usually a friendly chap, it is probably not intended that way, but the remark on the minis comes off as a little condescending, as if people who like KD:M only like the minis and don’t recognise a mediocre game because of it.
So: yes, I like the minis. But I also like the minis in Blood Rage, which I own as well and don’t like half as much as KD:M. For me, the appeal of KD:M lies in the campaign that keeps throwing bad stuff at us, the vastly different monster showdowns where the monsters’ behaviour is completely different instead of just some other abilities. Having a story unfold without resorting to many of the standard fantasy tropes helps, of course. The settlement/survivor system that is set up in a way that makes us get favorites that we’re sort-of attached to, but still leaves room for them be irretrievably dead (no ‘Pikachu fainted’ here!).
Of course you have to like the art style and overall direction of the storyline to get the full experience, so if they’re not for you, that’s a whole chunk of enjoyment gone. And I don’t think I’d ever play it as a one-off game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM DEAN
msg tools
Maybe the app release has helped give it a second wind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadae wrote:
Because it great, reasonably cheap and quick. One of my favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.