Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey Silva
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Spellweaver has a card "Hardened Spikes" that provides a persistent bonus of Retaliate for the rest of the round to her and adjacent allies. It also provides 2 experience at the end of this action. My question is do you get the experience immediately, or does the Retaliate have to trigger? If it's the latter, do you get it every time it triggers?

Relevant FAQ content:
Quote:
Can I play a card just for the experience?
You have to perform at least one part of the action on the card to gain the experience. If it just says "Attack," you have to attack an enemy to get the experience. If it has "Attack" and "Move," however, you can just move and not attack and still get the experience. A larger experience symbol sitting on its own on an action is not meant to be tied to any specific ability in the action.

I can see this going either way, since you could argue getting the persistent bonus Retaliate is using part of the action, but you could also argue that doesn't actually do anything, and having the Retaliate trigger is what's important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It only happens once, after playing the card.

However, since there are ways to retrieve the card, you could play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeySilva wrote:

Relevant FAQ content:
Quote:
Can I play a card just for the experience?
You have to perform at least one part of the action on the card to gain the experience. If it just says "Attack," you have to attack an enemy to get the experience. If it has "Attack" and "Move," however, you can just move and not attack and still get the experience. A larger experience symbol sitting on its own on an action is not meant to be tied to any specific ability in the action.

I can see this going either way, since you could argue getting the persistent bonus Retaliate is using part of the action, but you could also argue that doesn't actually do anything, and having the Retaliate trigger is what's important.

You played the card and had a target, the effect is good. The xp is immediate, so you have no way of knowing if it will trigger damage. This is unlike an attack, with no viable targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.