BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Hello rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenny Griffiths

Aberdeen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I've been lurking on BGG for a while, mainly to start just looking up games etc, then I started to get interested in KS and was using the (very useful) KS games thread to hunt for games coming up. And then started my gradual descent into the forums, and finally I decided to say hello.
I ended up posting this in chit chat instead of here, so thought I'd also say hello up here as well

So there you have it, hello. (Now that wasn't so bad, was it? *Hyperventilates*)

I love board games (Duh?), probably a little too much to be sane (again, I'm here, so... duh?). My collection is growing, and as I'm a student who doesn't drink, it's growing rather quickly. (I am in fact dreading having to update the games sections with what I have, because... well time is a premium, I want to play the games! )

... Well that diverged quickly. I meant to continue introducing myself so *ahem*, I am a medical student in the UK, I love to write, read (and things associated with them) I adore sleep, enjoy cooking and baking. And board games... they've their own tier.

I would probably describe myself as a eurogamer most of all, I love strategy games and ones where you have to think (I started off with chess, civilisation and some others from a young age)

Loving the variability and I look forward to meeting you all!

~Jenny
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. Welcome.

Make yourself at ease.
Want a cup of tea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenny welcome. Particularly nice to welcome another Brit to the site as well as hobby. If I may suggest - it might be worth attaching a flag to your profile to emphasise the Britishness. That's always good when things need doing (possible trades, sales, competitions, useful info. etc.).

There is an extensive British and European presence on the site, so if you want to look at clubs or conventions locally you should be able to find them. If you are struggling, I or many of the other Brits on the site will be only too happy to help. Obviously appreciate as a med student that spare time is not in abundance, but time can always be found for gaming I'm sure.

Enjoy the site and never be afraid to ask for help. All of us want to welcome newcomers to the hobby as it benefits everyone.

You already have enough GG to buy an avatar - go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings and Welcome!

Cekkie wrote:
My collection is growing, and as I'm a student who doesn't drink, it's growing rather quickly.

~Jenny

Good choice- you'll go poorer quicker, but at least you'll be healthier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jenny! Thanks for introducing yourself. It's always good to get to know a fellow "geek".

I've done a bit of writing as well. What sort of books do you like to read and write? And do you have a favorite book/word related game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have already dipped your toe into BGG, you may not need this info as much, but I kind of feel like the following information should be shown on the web page that shows you have completed creating an account:

Hopefully helpful links (some of these will cross-reference):
Five Common Misconceptions about BGG + New User advice
Tricks of the Geek
More Tricks of the Geek
unofficial FAQ
New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?
My 1st Year on BGG - Tips, Tricks, and Great Geeklists

Not as useful, but you've already waded into Chit Chat so maybe also:
A New User's Guide to the Inside Jokes of BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome and hi! As Chris said, you have more than enough geek gold now to get yourself a snazzy avatar and some microbadges of games and things you really like. Ask anything, we're all friendly here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome. You can also feel free to say hello here:

So, Who Are the Ladies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Griffiths

Aberdeen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@raziupaf I don't actually drink tea :') Sacrilege to Britian but there it is. My deepest Brit secret.

@chris
Okay, stoopid question, but how do I go about adding a flag?
I wasn't expecting any gold, but thank you everyone, bought an avatar now and just need to go about choosing one!
I'm up in Aberdeen, part of a D&D group and have a nice set of gaming friends. Although, I wonder if there are people from the granite city gaming group on here? Might be nice to go say hello to them at some time

@Govmiller
Don't I know it, kickstarter and many other sources of finding games are quickly draining money. /AND/ I have a ball coming up so will need to buy a dress. My wallet probably hates me

@Soleia
FANTASY. In one word Favourite author is Brandon Sanderson, by far. JUst really relate to his writing. I am waiting upon the mistborn game coming so that might become my favourite. Word related - can that involve games with a rulebook? whistle:

@tuckerotl Thank you, I read those all before posting. Read most of the beginners guide, but thank you once again (That pinning quickbar isa lifesaver!!! I am so thankful for that feature :3 )

@David thank you, just need to decide on one.

@indigopotter
What ladies? My friends? Genuinley confused

THat's everyone so far, wow was not expecting so many reponses/kind words so quickly! :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm up in Aberdeen, part of a D&D group and have a nice set of gaming friends.

You might also want to check out the RPGG side of things! Goodness knows we could use some new voices there; there's an active group, but its pretty small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to our fine assembly!!

Feel free to stop by all our Women and gaming threads. There are some goodies there, where we get to chat about other hobbies (oh? We can do something else than gaming?! surprise ), tell about games we are interested in, games we have played, or simply chit chat about little things in life. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cekkie wrote:
@raziupaf I don't actually drink tea :') Sacrilege to Britian but there it is. My deepest Brit secret.

And I thought I liked you

Still, you're welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Griffiths

Aberdeen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I get that a lot... Don't worry, if I see you walking on the other side of the forums, I'll know why and slowly plot your death erm... and will wave in a friendly manner.... whistle

@Brian I will do!
@Elida Okay

Actually quick question - is it common courtesy to use one's screen name or their given name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenith Splendor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Hi Hello

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cekkie wrote:
Actually quick question - is it common courtesy to use one's screen name or their given name?

Doesn't make much difference. Some people are better known by their screen name, some by their everyday* name. Some like razoupaf don't even show their everyday name in which case I think it is best to use razoupaf rather than "I am Abomination"

* I use "everyday" rather than "given" because some people change their names to something they haven chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Griffiths

Aberdeen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was using given in more literal sense that they've given the site their name, but I do understand, having changed my name

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cekkie wrote:

FANTASY. In one word Favourite author is Brandon Sanderson, by far.

Journey before Destination. Hope you already have your copy of Oathbringer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Griffiths

Aberdeen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Arydis4 wrote:
Cekkie wrote:

FANTASY. In one word Favourite author is Brandon Sanderson, by far.

Journey before Destination. Hope you already have your copy of Oathbringer.

I went for an audiobook this time. But.... Well, it's just not the same! (I had a free audio subscription and it was at the top of my list)
I will probably buy a hard copy at some point to refresh my memory when the next one comes out in a year or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Cekkie wrote:
I get that a lot... Don't worry, if I see you walking on the other side of the forums, I'll know why and slowly plot your death erm... and will wave in a friendly manner.... whistle

@Brian I will do!
@Elida Okay

Sort of both. I go by both my real name and my username. Just see what others do! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cekkie wrote:

Then have an Irn Bru!

I know how you feel about not having time to add all your collection to your BGG profile. I used to log all my game plays here, but I have just been too busy and so I haven't done so in a while.

Enjoy your time on BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.