Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
dbmurph22 wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:
Two of my favorite WW games out of my 300 are

Star Wars: Clone Wars, 2007 and Missionary Zombie Wolves, 2013.

And not just because of my personal experience in them but because I found them interesting and fun with cool mechanics. The Clone Wars recruitment mechanic was really interesting. And in MZW the map and movement was fun, but I love how the item and item priority worked.

I would love for anyone new to experience the fun of these games.
Can't speak to those two, but I know that I had an incredible amount of fun just re-reading Die Hard. Can't imagine the fun that went into playing it.
Thanks Ron. I assume you are speaking of the original RPish one that went forever and not the redone more WW oriented one?

Speaking of the second, less epic one, I remember using the "buy powers before game" mechanic. I really like the idea of customized setup by a team after role distrib and before game start. Starcraft the Game did this as well and I really liked it. I think some other games have done that to some degree and would like to see more of it.
funkadillo wrote:
No, I'd expect not.

Say ... there's 600 million in negotiable bonds in the vault. How about we cut you in and split it three ways?

This time next week we can be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent.
Teh Brawl Guy wrote:
Sure, Hans. I'll just tell my wife and we- Oh, I can't do that, now can I, -BEEP-?

No, you -BEEP-. I'm gonna -BEEP- kill you, I'm gonna cook you, and I'm gonna -BEEP- eat you.
(I edited in the Beeps. A game group can be comfortable with a particular tone, but this thread isn't in that same state of mind.)
funkadillo wrote:
Oh, come now, Cowboy. With $200 million I'm sure you'll be able to get yourself a new wife.
That game. When it got down to everyone pretty much knowing everyone else, the back and forth in the thread was some of the best I can think of on the forum.

The pre-game buying ability has happened a few times, but it's not normal. Gauntlet does it some. Kima's games (Champions, for example) do it. But it's uncommon enough that bringing it or another one like it would be fun for all of the participants. IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
RoyalApe wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
I could redux a tweaked version of We Could Be Heroes - 2015
Clue?
We do have the materials. Looks like it could qualify as 2008, 2009 or 2010

I say we do it!
The last iteration of Clue was literally the fastest I've seen any game fill. I'm assuming the next time it runs, people will want in. It's got the same aura as Domino Effect, except it can be replayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
Clue?

I say we do it!
I'd love to help with this one if you take this one. I was looking at it, too.

LJ has up there a guideline of wanting to keep it to original year and one per year, and Clue started in 2008 which is already claimed. So curious how strict she wants to be with those. (1 was december 2008, 2-4 was 2009).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
Clue?

I say we do it!
I'd love to help with this one if you take this one. I was looking at it, too.

LJ has up there a guideline of wanting to keep it to original year and one per year, and Clue started in 2008 which is already claimed. So curious how strict she wants to be with those. (1 was december 2008, 2-4 was 2009).
I'll send you the stuff. I've had it for a few months and haven't had time to decipher it yet.

Personally, I'd rather we be liberal with the years and emphasize fun games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
Sounds good.

I choose to redux "A Good Old Fashioned 35er".

Edit: Nothing sticks out to me as super interesting on a quick skim of 2014. (Trying to avoid too many "do not read if you want to play".) I might poke around and see if anything looks fun in the unclaimed earlier years.
It looked like a lot of what I saw in 2014 were a lot of games on the more basic side, games that were hidden rolesets and would need a "do not read original" tag, or games that were reruns already.

DeMorcerf's Godfather series stood out to me (I really like that one, but man, that mayor mechanic on D1 never goes well...)

There were a couple others, but nothing that was "Yeah, I want to run that again!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
nolemonplease wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
Sounds good.

I choose to redux "A Good Old Fashioned 35er".

Edit: Nothing sticks out to me as super interesting on a quick skim of 2014. (Trying to avoid too many "do not read if you want to play".) I might poke around and see if anything looks fun in the unclaimed earlier years.
It looked like a lot of what I saw in 2014 were a lot of games on the more basic side, games that were hidden rolesets and would need a "do not read original" tag, or games that were reruns already.

DeMorcerf's Godfather series stood out to me (but man, that mayor mechanic on D1 never goes well...)

There were a couple others, but nothing that was "Yeah, I want to run that again!"
The frowny face was because:
ljtrigirl wrote:
It'd be great to have a variety of mods represented, and please try to get permission from the game's original mod if possible!
And while Flash isn't around much, I am sitting right here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Ohhh, hah.

I figured you'd want to run your own redux! That Split Brain game was from 2014.

The 35er was a joke, don't think I could get 35 people to play that (especially in the middle of a series like this). I'd love to see it rerun, but every time I've bumped it or suggested it, there's been zero response, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
nolemonplease wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Ohhh, hah.

I figured you'd want to run your own redux! That Split Brain game was from 2014.

The 35er was a joke, don't think I could get 35 people to play that (especially in the middle of a series like this). I'd love to see it rerun, but every time I've bumped it or suggested it, there's been zero response, haha.
The problem with my running reduxes is that I rerun most of my popular games all the time. Arkham? Yearly. Massacre? Valentine? Assassin? All yearly. I tried rerunning Split Brain and it didn't fill, even with only needing 18-ish people total over the two games.

I could run another Thing game; the original was in 2005. I could rerun Blade Runner; that original was in 2007. I could do one of my zombie games, the first one was in 2012. I literally just ran another Deckbuilding game, but if people wanted me to put another one up for whichever month is 2012, then I could do that. No Meta? Raiders? DA's Hidden Roles Game? Puppet Master? They're all standard games more or less that are run all the time. I could do another redux of Ender's Game, but the hidden role / twist was spoiled before that game even ran the last time. TAG? Batman's Arkham? I tried running a variation of Kima's Champions game (the X-COM game I built), but it didn't get traction. Gunsmen? I could prep Time Wars 2, but the first one still has a sour taste after the post-game feedback. ATTWN? But Yiatzi has already put up the next one. Consulting Detective? But that's not Werewolf.

I wouldn't suggest the 35er because it basically takes an act of god to get that many people in a game nowadays. I could do a redux of Massacre 6 next December?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Ohhh, hah.

The problem with my running reduxes is that I rerun most of my popular games all the time. Arkham? Yearly. Massacre? Valentine? Assassin? All yearly. I tried rerunning Split Brain and it didn't fill, even with only needing 18-ish people total over the two games.

I could run another Thing game; the original was in 2005. I could rerun Blade Runner; that original was in 2007. I could do one of my zombie games, the first one was in 2012. I literally just ran another Deckbuilding game, but if people wanted me to put another one up for whichever month is 2012, then I could do that. No Meta? Raiders? DA's Hidden Roles Game? Puppet Master? They're all standard games more or less that are run all the time. I could do another redux of Ender's Game, but the hidden role / twist was spoiled before that game even ran the last time. TAG? Batman's Arkham? I tried running a variation of Kima's Champions game (the X-COM game I built), but it didn't get traction. Gunsmen? I could prep Time Wars 2, but the first one still has a sour taste after the post-game feedback. ATTWN? But Yiatzi has already put up the next one. Consulting Detective? But that's not Werewolf.

I wouldn't suggest the 35er because it basically takes an act of god to get that many people in a game nowadays. I could do a redux of Massacre 6 next December?
I can't guarantee I'd commit to it, but I'd like to see a no meta game that wasn't linked to some other mechanic. The Valentine's hydra thing doesn't really appeal to me because I feel like there would be little overlap between "people who want a game without social context" and "people who want a game with built in socializing." (Likewise for the repeating roster legacy thing.) But running it pure without associated mechanical stuff could be due. Obviously lots of other great alternatives.

I think there was also some deadchat discussion about running Ender's Game as an open set someday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Maybe. If I remember correctly, the last time I tried running a plain No Meta, I had to go pleading for the last couple of signups.

And yeah, folks in Ender's dead chat said they'd like to see it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Maybe. If I remember correctly, the last time I tried running a plain No Meta, I had to go pleading for the last couple of signups.

I think Ender can work as an open set. Maybe you just need to tweak it slightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxie
msg tools
Call me/Beep me if you gotta reach me.
badge
The enemy's gate is down.
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:

Enders game is my favorite thing and I would love a game with an Enders game theme myself!! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Even when you don't feel it.
badge
Prioritize your own life, or someone will prioritize it for you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't play Ender's Game against a killer aux team. That's one to remember for the ages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
So the rule set for the Lord of the Rings Series I that LJ linked to up there seems to be MIA.

But there are 4 other LOR themed games that year to pick from. (Series V was hidden rules so I can't recreate it) So I'm setting up a poll to see which version people are most interested in trying again.

Werewolf: The Lord of the Rings -- Accepting Alternates-- Starts June 20 -- Roles given Sunday, Game starts monday Morning by Ptper
Werewolf: Lord of the Rings Part II - Player Roster Set, Accepting Alternates by Kimapesan
Werewolf: Lord of the Rings Part III - Helm's Deep - Starts August 18th by Kimapesan
Werewolf: The Lord of the Rings Part IV - The War of the Ring *SIGN UP HERE - 20 in, more may join if interested!* by Kimapesan

Poll
Which version of the LOR would you like to play?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
The Lord of the Rings by Ptper
0.0% 0
Lord of the Rings Part II by Kimapesan
28.6% 2
Lord of the Rings Part III - Helm's Deep by Kimapesan
71.4% 5
Lord of the Rings Part IV - The War of the Ring by Kimapesan
28.6% 2
Voters 7
This poll is now closed.   7 answers
Poll created by Melsana
Closes: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:00 am

You have until this Friday to vote. At that time I'll pick the most popular role set and start a sign up thread on Monday. If there is a tie, then I'll pick which of the two I like the best.
So when you choose a poll close date it is the start of the day not the end of the day... good to know for next time. Looks like Part III is the winner. I'll work on getting that ready for sign up either today or Monday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game has now been posted. Go sign up.

2018 BGG WW Redux Series: 2005 - Lord of the Rings: Helm’s Deep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My game is also up! Although it's set for April so I'm not taking signups on Cassy yet. I don't want to end up with a bunch of people who end up unable to play four months later. However feel free to post in the thread if you are interested in a spot for when I do open signups.

Rules thread: The Children of Húrin REDUX

Also excellent on the LOTR theme so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
ljtrigirl wrote:
May- 2009-
Clue: The Werewolf Game (Ver 10.0)
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1889295
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
ljtrigirl wrote:
November- 2015-
Ender's Game! - 2018
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1889303

Yeesh. Just looking at a game in signup for November 2018 kind of makes me nauseous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
I don't like hogging things, so if others want other years, go for it.

If years need to be filled, here are some things I'd happily run (or you could get the original mods to rerun) if no one else grabs the spot with something else.

2007:
Blade Runner was December '06, but if no one picks an '07 game, I'd happily run BR5. I could even incorporate elements from 2049.
I could also just re-run Gunsmen. The original was '07.
Esuh's Battle Royale was in 2007.
Murph's Indiana Jones game was in '07.
His Oh My! series started in '07 too.
Hell, Riot's Vampire Game was started in '07.
Belash's Fall of the Justice League was in 2007.
Kimapesan's first Champions game was in 2007.

2009 has already been filled, but hey Avin! Do you still have any notes on Betrayal at House on the Hill? Redhawke is forever gone, but if you have access to the background material, that would be cool. I'd run it if you wanted to hand it off. If you wanted to set it up as something independent, that'd be cool too. Physics games are always fun.

2010:
If Ludes changes his mind about 2010, I'd love to ask bwt2q about his Civilization game.

2011:
You could ask $2M to rerun Till We Have Faces and see if anyone could replicate Ziilch's Space Dracula. That was 2011.
Alternatively,
Kima said once I could run his BSG game. That was in 2011.
Raid gave me files on his Dune game. That was also 2011.
Oh, I might be able to tempt Belash out for another run of Kill Werewolves Kill! ..? (2011)
I've run Achievement Unlocked (and still have the list of hidden achievements) and the first one was a 2011 game.
If we ask him very nicely, Riot might run the next in his Friend? series. The original was 2011.
Belash's Kingdom Come was in 2011.
BlackSheep's first Texas Werewolf game was in 2011.
Ironman was in 2011, but the niche might be full with Legacy ongoing? And the last run was woefully underfull.
Testy City was 2011 ..?

2012:
Oh! Belash's first Doctor Who game was in 2012!
He also ran Crisis on Infinite Earths in 2012.
Deckbuilding - 2012 - bonus, I'm already pretty confident the original mod would be cool with this.
Psychic Fair Requiem (Village of the Seers) was in 2012, and nolemonplease already reran this once.
Eggplant was 2012. We'd have to find someone new to run this one, just by virtue of the series.
Bendor Queen was 2012. Avin would need insight or someone would have to see if dcorrin would be interested, though.
Javal's Ghost Town ..?
Melriken's Avatars.

2014:
If nolemon wavers, Riot might be willing to rerun Infection (2014).
Belash's Breaking of Superman was also 2014.
And Thatablaze's Temple of Mists.

2015:
Riot's Mary game was in 2015.
ZD's World of Darkness?

... and I'll be honest. I started skimming around game 2100, 2200.

Feels like we're missing some archetypal important games, like Everyone's Special, Pure Chaos, and Paranoia.

Edit. Also, some historically important mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Even when you don't feel it.
badge
Prioritize your own life, or someone will prioritize it for you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zd's Mother game was Jan 2016 and I think of it as a 2015 game. I thought the mechanics of that were really cool and didn't require the mystery, particularly the rearranging of roles Royal could do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You could ask $2M to rerun Till We Have Faces and see if anyone could replicate Ziilch's Space Dracula. That was 2011.
TBH, I'm not nearly as interested in rerunning those games as I am in exploring new material.

(Though I did have an interesting idea that would be a rerun of them both, and at the same time wouldn't be...)

I'd be willing to tweak and rerun Oh Sh*t!, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some 2007 games I'm interested in rerunning. One is the Cubs and Seers set that I have in signup now.

I may PM an old mod about rerunning an old game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

*neglected to subscribe*

linguistfromhell wrote:

2007:
Blade Runner was December '06, but if no one picks an '07 game, I'd happily run BR5. I could even incorporate elements from 2049.
The first BR was a very different beast from 2, 3, and 4. And I'd like to have dibs if it runs.

Quote:

2010:
If Ludes changes his mind about 2010, I'd love to ask bwt2q about his Civilization game.
I'd suggest going ahead and asking Bwt as I'm very much undecided atm. I had suggested Schrodinger's Cat and Stephen King's The Stand; thinking the latter with some tweaks including solving the mega-mason issue and perhaps with semi-hidden roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
With murph committing to redux Indiana Jones and the Will of the Immortal, January through May are locked in! June/2010 is tentatively held for Ludes and September/2013 has been claimed by BlackSheep. But July/2011, August/2012, October/2014, November/2015, and December/2016 are all still free if people have interest in modding a game in there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Have you geekmailed Belash directly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls