Subject: Possible, plausible, or complete hooey? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
On a scale of 0 to 3, with 3 being the most likely to be real, how would you rank these mythical creatures?

Keep in mind that you're not necessarily supporting or denying their existence; this is just how plausible of a concept that is it to you:

Poll
1. How possible is it for you to conceive that these creatures could possibly still exist, or did probably exist in the past?
  0- No way 1- I doubt it 2- Maybe... 3- For sure Other
Angels
Demons
Dragons
Pixies/ Fairies
Ghosts
Harpies
Elves
Elvis (still alive)
Mermaids
Loch Ness Monster
Giants
Pegasuses
Leprechauns
Centaurs
Unicorns
Tooth Fairy
Phoenix
Werewolves
Vampires
Genies
Zombies
2. Of the ones that you ranked a ZERO (totally silly), which was the most unbelievable?
Angels
Demons
Dragons
Pixies
Ghosts
Harpies
Elves
Elvis (still alive)
Mermaids
Loch Ness Monster
Giants
Pegasuses
Leprechauns
Centaurs
Unicorns
Tooth Fairy
Phoenix
Werewolves
Vampires
Genies
Zombies
3. Of the ones that you ranked a THREE (potentially real), which was the most believable?
Angels
Demons
Dragons
Pixies
Ghosts
Harpies
Elves
Elvis (still alive)
Mermaids
Loch Ness Monster
Giants
Pegasuses
Centaurs
Leprechauns
Unicorns
Tooth Fairy
Phoenix
Werewolves
Vampires
Genies
Zombies
      117 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Thanks to The New Yorker magazine, Nov. 6th, 2017 (and to Kathryn Schulz, author of the article) for the idea and for most of the items on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
The Loch Ness Monster just makes sense—everybody knows it's what the Sasquatches used to ride around on back in the days of the Old Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A dragon stepped on my head a few months back. So I KNOW they're real.

I have to retake this though I think because a scale of plausability is different to do they exist.

Like, three wishes and all that is more implausible than some evil spirit. So... on that note... genie - is this three wishes, or malevolent djinn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
All zeros except:

a '1' for Elvis since he did actually exist.

And a '3' for Phoenix, because it's a big city in Arizona and it DEFINITELY exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are Santa & the Easter Bunnies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giants, as in very large people like Andre, are definitely real.

Zombies induced by a sort of hypnosis in Voudon rituals, are also probably real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angels, demons, and ghosts. Absolutely.

The rest, hooey.

But this may be an actual giant unicorn

And I can't decide whether this was a movie or a documentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I couldn't answer the last question because I put zero for everything in the first question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Banichi wrote:
Sorry, I couldn't answer the last question because I put zero for everything in the first question.

As did I, and I didn't answer the second question either as none of them are less ludicrous than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
All zero except zombies (and only a maybe there).
There could possibly a virus or brain parasite that causes zombie-like symptoms.
Not the undead part, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Some are biologically/phyiscally possible though.

eg giants. A large humanoid is not biologically impossible in the same way a flying horse is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoff Jordaan
South Africa
Pretoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anfauglir wrote:
All zero except zombies (and only a maybe there).
There could possibly a virus or brain parasite that causes zombie-like symptoms.
Not the undead part, though.

Do a google search for "zombie ants" for some freaky fungal parasitism.
The relevant wikipedia entry for said fungus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
People who put zero down for "giants": ANDRE. So that's a 3. He was a well-documented, completely real, giant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:

The ones I find the *most* implausible are the ones where people have just combined things together because it sounds cool: Mermaids, Centaurs, Pegasus. I mean really, a horse that flies? Never in a million years would that evolve.

As for Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies, those are just manifestations of our own fears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had to give dragons, ghosts, and good ol' Nessie a plausible rating.

As it was my high school mascot, I did a research paper on dragons. They are represented in some way or form in almost every culture across the world, from way back before they made contact with each other. That's intriguing to me and makes it seem very plausible that something, maybe not a generic fantasy dragon, existed to fit the description.

I went for ghosts because, as skeptical I am of the supernatural, I had an experience that cannot otherwise be explained in a logical manner that still kinda creeps me out to this day.

Nessie...well, I just like the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
People who put zero down for "giants": ANDRE. So that's a 3. He was a well-documented, completely real, giant.

How about the giants that are 16 feet tall, or the ones that live in the clouds & have a magic goose, or the ones who eat children?
Yes; the concept of a giant is believable but only up to a point.
Many of the giants in literature exceed the limits of real human growth or action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandmasterstevo wrote:

As it was my high school mascot, I did a research paper on dragons. They are represented in some way or form in almost every culture across the world, from way back before they made contact with each other. That's intriguing to me and makes it seem very plausible that something, maybe not a generic fantasy dragon, existed to fit the description.

I went for ghosts because, as skeptical I am of the supernatural, I had an experience that cannot otherwise be explained in a logical manner that still kinda creeps me out to this day.

Interestingly, Chinese dragons do not have wings. This is the normal make or break point of contention for western dragons, as in: Could those wings actually support something that large?
But the Chinese ones fly using magic, so they can't be much better off in the credibility department.

Like Bigfoot and Yeti, Nessie has a good PR agency working for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
MABBY wrote:
grandmasterstevo wrote:

Interestingly, Chinese dragons do not have wings. This is the normal make or break point of contention for western dragons, as in: Could those wings actually support something that large?
But the Chinese ones fly using magic, so they can't be much better off in the credibility department.

Like Bigfoot and Yeti, Nessie has a good PR agency working for it.

Quetzcoatyl was often depicted as a giant flying serpent. Sounds awful familiar to the Chinese dragon. My point was that across the world, similar stories appear in history. We just don't know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
wmshub wrote:

How about the giants that are 16 feet tall, or the ones that live in the clouds & have a magic goose, or the ones who eat children?
Yes; the concept of a giant is believable but only up to a point.
Many of the giants in literature exceed the limits of real human growth or action.
Well, if it had said "16 foot tall giants that live in the clouds," then no, I don't believe that at all. But the question just said "Giants," and I know for sure that there are giants, that's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
grandmasterstevo wrote:

Not that this necessarily means anything about the plausibility of what we think of as dragons, but there have been rather large winged lizards in the past

I think the "breathe fire/acid/frost/whatever" is more implausible than the "flying" part (Again, not that the "flying" part isn't a setback, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandmasterstevo wrote:
Quetzcoatyl was often depicted as a giant flying serpent. Sounds awful familiar to the Chinese dragon. My point was that across the world, similar stories appear in history. We just don't know for sure.

It's all dinosaur bones. All the legendary creatures. Everywhere.
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/04/science/greek-myths-not-ne...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/fossil-origin-of-the-cyclops.ht...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
radynski wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:

The ones I find the *most* implausible are the ones where people have just combined things together because it sounds cool: Mermaids, Centaurs, Pegasus.

More than the Tooth Fairy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
radynski wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:

The ones I find the *most* implausible are the ones where people have just combined things together because it sounds cool: Mermaids, Centaurs, Pegasus.

What we really need on BGG is a condorcet voting poll system, to find out for sure whether the tooth fairy is more or less believable than a mermaid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...aren't we missing a category up there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
radynski wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:

I am open to the possibility that there is some historical context for the Tooth Fairy that I am currently unaware of. I still voted it a 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.